Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I hook up a trailer that has brakes, sometimes my speedo will get all messed up and show like 110mph at 2k rpm. It takes days sometimes for it to reset back to 0mph at idle....
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sounds like an electrical problem, do you have the towing package, with the pre-wired harness? Are you still under 3/36 warrenty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I have the factory tow package, but I am at 56k mi at this point.
I assumed it had something to do with the 7 pin connector, but was not sure if this was a common problem or at least experienced before by others on this board...?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
my brother in law had a similar experance but his speedo would jump up
and down and trans would shift real bad it only happend when he hooked
up one certain trailer any others it wouldnt do it possible trailer wireing in
the trailer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed this issue with 2 different trailers ( 5th wheel and pull behind ). I have not noticed any adverse issues with the tranny. Seems to be just limited to the speedo. After the trailer is unplugged for a day, the speedo returns to functioning normal.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
seems like something in the trailer wiring is messing with the VSS wire...

Either that or the stepper motor in the IPC is going bad, which is a common issue..

Moving to Electronics...

Ben

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its pegged again at 120 now.... after reading some other posts, I think its the common stepper motor gone bad, just like you said.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You may be having the same problem many of us have had. I had my entire gage cluster replaced under warranty because of an erratic spedo. It was doing very similar things to yours.
I had the cluster replaced and have had no problems since.

The dealer said there have been allot of them lately being replaced for the same issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When my cluster went bad mine was doing the same thing. Turn the key on and off several times without starting the engine. This made mine go back to zero alot faster. Six or eight times and it was back to zero from 120. Still end up having to replace the cluster after awhile. It's odd that it's only doing it with the trailer.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts