Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum and wanted to say this place is great. I ordered my truck a couple of weeks ago and they said it would be here in a few weeks. My question is which programmers out there can correct speedometers for 285's or even 315's. I wanted to ask some input from you guys that have changed tires which sizes looked/performed best.

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
well i jus tput on 285's and i am about 5 miles per hour slower on my spedo. so not to bad when you figure in the looks.

patrick

·
Registered
565 Posts
This is a huge topic all over the web. I use the Predator from Diablo Sport. I think it will only adjust up to 35" tires without setting off the ABS light. There are alot of guys who dont do it cuz it saves on the miles (reads fewer than actual) but, personally, I like knowing how fast I'm going.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Anyone know of a place/person to reprogram a speedo in the East Tennessee area?

BTW: Do your PM, guys! My rear diff was 2" low on fluid upon inspection this weekend. Edited by: CStone

·
Registered
941 Posts
You could also use Superlift's Truspeed recalibrator if you only wanted the speedometer change, but didn't want to add hp. You can get the Truspeeds for $150 on the web... Just another idea for you.

Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info so far I really appreciate it. Does anyone know or have seen if you can put 315/75/16 on these trucks without a lift. I had 295's on my 2000 and they rubbed a little bit in reverse turning left, but that truck wasn't as tall as the HD. Just going over options for when it gets here. Thanks for all the help again!

Ryan

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Well I have 315/75/16 on my rig but I also have a the new 7in ProComp lift. They also shave an angle on the airdam. Here is a pic of my tire and its fit:

·
Registered
211 Posts
JUSTIFIED HD said:
Thanks for all the info so far I really appreciate it. Does anyone know or have seen if you can put 315/75/16 on these trucks without a lift. I had 295's on my 2000 and they rubbed a little bit in reverse turning left, but that truck wasn't as tall as the HD. Just going over options for when it gets here. Thanks for all the help again!

Ryan

You can forget 315/75s without a lift. With careful backspace selection you can use 285/75 or 305/75 along with small torsion adjustment. These are 32.5-33 inches tall. You should target your backspace to 5" on a 16"x8" Wheel. Anything less than 4.5" backspace will decrease swing by increasing the arc of travel when turning the wheel. 315/75 are ~34.5 inches. I'm surprised you didn't have more problems with the 295s on your 2000. Was it a 1500 or 2500? Stock Wheels?

On Edit: Another thing to consider on back spacing. With some lift kits, you can only run a max of 4.5inch back spacing due to the spindles included. Something to consider if a lift is in your future as well. Edited by: Professor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2000 was a 2500. I had to trim the front lower air dam and turn the torsion bars to get some lift. I see now that 315's are out of the question. I think I will just go with a 285 on the stock wheels, turn the torsions up a little bit, sounds like quite a few people have done this. I'd like to purchase a programmer when available to program for tires. Even though it is an advantage to have less miles on truck for warranty purposes if ecm and pcm think truck has 245's and you have 285's or larger shift points and converter lock up could be an issue therefore justifing programmer, and the power upgrade woould be nice to. Thanks again for the information, I am very thankful.

Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts