Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys put your spare tire? They just put it in the bed on my truck but obviously that just invites someone to steal a $600 rim and tire.

·
Registered
498 Posts
On the ground....we call'em outside duallies that wear at the same rate as the others. Saved $600.00.

Question for you. Any idea what it takes to change one of those? I certainly don't have a 5-Ton bottle jack and 500 ft-lb impact wrench to take off and torque down the lugs as recommended in the owner's manual. Which, by the way, highly recommends that you leave that job to professionals, because of the hazards involved.

RF

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RF,

The spare came with the truck. We have a good sized ranch and I change the tires on our dump trucks and grain trucks. I can't imagine it's much worse on these trucks than those. I see you live in NM. Pretty desolate just like our area up north. Many places where a cellphone doesn't work and people don't come along very often. I try and be prepared to help myself out when stranded.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ha...

I've done it b-4, on my Intl. COE. You roll to the T/A when a dually goes out, or you take off an outside dually to trade out a blown steer. However, that little 12V air compressor for the seats and exhaust brake won't drive a 3/4" or 1" impact wrench. So its call 4 help (Cell, CB, or left thumb) with this one, but the Verizon net is real good in these parts, so its not been a problem.

To be serious about your dilema, I'd get an extend plate mounted on center to the back of your headache rail with mounting bolts for the tire. Sounds like you could fabricate that yourself on the ranch, and you can paint it to match so it looks OEM.

Good Luck.

RF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts