Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an avid reader of this great web site since discovering it last fall I have learned a lot and now need some help...

The "secondary latch system" on my spare tire hoist is jammed in the retracted position (up) without a tire on it. The GM Manual (page 5-88 of 2003 manual) describes an elaborate technique involving the jack to put pressure on the end of the cable and latch mechanism to release it. The manual also indicates that if I have to use this proceedure I won't be able to store the spare using the hoist assembly until it has been replaced. What kind of crap is this?

With past trucks, including my '94 Chevy Silverado 2wd 350,
I have been in the habit of keeping the spare under cover in the box out of the salt and sand of our winters here in the great lakes area. Spring time and 5th wheeling time and the spare goes back underneath.

Richard

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
FWIW mine broke also. i ended up breaking it to get the tire out and the dealer replaced it under warranty...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick.

Sorry to hear that your's broke too. Glad to hear warranty covered it. I'm hoping somebody out there has found a way to release it without breaking the mechanism. I'm about a month past the 1 year warranty now.

I'm really impressed at how you have this forum set up. Great to have a reply indicated via my email. I'm also more and more impressed with the expertise and the over all sharing of info.

Richard

·
Registered
540 Posts
Richard Hendry said:
Sorry to hear that your's broke too. Glad to hear warranty covered it. I'm hoping somebody out there has found a way to release it without breaking the mechanism. I'm about a month past the 1 year warranty now.

Isn't the warranty 3 years and 36k??

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Larry (First Diesel),

You are so right!

My first diesel truck too.

So long since I bought a new vehicle (90 Volvo 245 & 94 Silverado) I'd forgotten but what the warranty was 1 year. My truck was an exec driven and had 9 months and 10,600kms (7000 mi) on it last Sept. when I bought it.

Love it!

Richard

·
Registered
687 Posts
This happens... There is a secondary catch on the part that drops with the cable, and without a tire on it, it will catch on the hoist frame.

What you need to do (worked on mine when I had the same issue)... Have someone on the crank at the back of the vehicle, have someone under looking at the hoist mechanism. You will see a weight activated cam on the dropping part that needs to have "weight" added to it to allow it to become released from the frame. You may be able to do this one-person. (on edit...) There is no reason to use a jack to add weight. Don't know what this would do?

To avoid this in future... Put the dead tire back on hoist and crank her up OR do not crank the empty hoist up all the way, leaving 3-4 inches of cable out until you get the spare replaced.

HTH,

MNEdited by: nassdmax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts