Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD, LBZ, Crew, 4WD. Running LT275/70R17 on ProComp 6001 17x8 wheels. Cognito leveling kit.

Original factory spare still hanging under there, it still holds air, but I'd hate to have to actually use it.

I'm approaching retirement and looking forward to hitting the road with my 26' travel trailer (7000lb GVWR) and I'm thinking I would really like to have a spare that approximates the size in diameter of my tires just to simplify any roadside problems I might have. Until now, I have always figured I would swap front to back if I had a flat on the back, but looking to avoid that.

How critical is the diameter difference?

For example, my current tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3 @ 275/70R17) are spec'ed at 31.17" diameter.

I've found a 235/85R16 (skinny tire to use the factory spare rim) that is spec'ed at 31.77" diameter. Figuring circumference: 101.07 vs 99.81.

Close enough? Or still unwise to run on the back?

Alternately, I'm finding 275/70R16 which would be a match in diameter, but possibly questionably wide for the factory rim...

Final question: Will a 32" diameter tire fit in the spare space? A quick look makes me think no problem, but maybe there is an unforeseen issue?

THANKS in advance for your thoughts.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same truck as you with an 8 foot bed and I am running 285 75r 16's. I have the same size tire for a spare. No problem with it fitting in the spare tire area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts