Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered my BFG AT 285/70-17's to go on my H2 rims, which have a diameter of 32.8 vs the original tire diameter of 30.5. Should I get a spare tire that has a larger diameter too? He has a good year MTR size 305/70-16 in good shape (take off) that he would just give to me. The MTR had a diameter of 33.1 when new, so figure it has 1/2" worn off leaving a diameter of 32.6. 305 seems a bit big to mount on a 6.5" rim.

Any suggestions? :confused: I do have a 7000# trailer I tow occasionally, and I dont want a smaller spare tire to comprimise my safety if I have to use it. Or will the difference in tire size even matter when using the stock spare (assuming I dont use 4WD)?

·
Registered
562 Posts
You might want to look into getting the same size spare. My installer told me that if you have a blow out or a flat that you could potentially damage your ring gears and diffrential b/c of the rotation difference. (One wheel spinning faster than the other.)

I started doing some research b/c I travel a lot I just got my cognito 12" kit and I'm waiting on my Toyo 40" Tires before I install the lift. I found this: Probally won't help for you but posted it for others!!:ro) :ro) :ro)

www.tiregate.com

I have ordered my BFG AT 285/70-17's to go on my H2 rims, which have a diameter of 32.8 vs the original tire diameter of 30.5. Should I get a spare tire that has a larger diameter too? He has a good year MTR size 305/70-16 in good shape (take off) that he would just give to me. The MTR had a diameter of 33.1 when new, so figure it has 1/2" worn off leaving a diameter of 32.6. 305 seems a bit big to mount on a 6.5" rim.

Any suggestions? :confused: I do have a 7000# trailer I tow occasionally, and I dont want a smaller spare tire to comprimise my safety if I have to use it. Or will the difference in tire size even matter when using the stock spare (assuming I dont use 4WD)?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd get a 255/85/r16 for the spare. It is nominally 33" tall when new, and it is approved for use on a 6.5" wide rim. I have only found them is load range D though, so if you get a flat when you are hauling something heavy, you might want to put the spare on the front and keep a matched pair on the rear axle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts