Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been around class 8 diesels for years, I always had a spare fuel filter on hand in the truck just in case I needed it. When I got the new MAX I did the same thing. To protect this spare filter, I had the bright idea to place it in a plastic bag and pull air out of the bag using a vacuum pump. My question to you gentlemen is do you think this could have damaged the internal parts of the filter? This may sound like a silly question but with all the talk about filter failure I thought I'd ask. The end result of this sure "looks" good and there's no way moisture or dust can get to it.---------Thanks--------Phil

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I don't think you have any worries, Crusher. With the size of the top connection and the large hole in the bottom of the canister for the water in fuel sensor you couldn't get any pressure across the internal element with the sealer. Your only risk (and a very small one at that) is pulling the plastic bag too tight and bending the plastic lip on the large o-ring seal around the outside of the top of the filter. I keep one spare (in the not-too-tight vendor supplied plastic wrap) in my plastic tub-o-junk in the bed. Since I've had my bed cap off for a couple of months and not carrying the tub, I've got another stashed under the rear seat. Not carrying a spare Mega cartridge at the moment, so a really bad tank would get me - knock wood!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have coated the inside of my OEM racors with a light film of oil, put a desicant bag inside and vacuum/sealed them using the wife's FoodSaver. Works great.

As long as there is no pressure differential between different parts of the filter, I cannot see how any damage would be caused.

Just my input,

Alan

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
One of the few really good uses for WD-40!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sorry John, I have to disagree. WD-40 is best left on the store shelf. It will attract the moisture and sooner or later the inside of the can will rust. LPS3 is a much better protectant but I wouldn't use it inside the filter as it contains cosmoline (sp?) and I don't think that would be good for the media.

Leo

BTW, thanks for the super service on the Attitude!Edited by: CntrlCalDmax

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thot WD stood for water displacement?

·
Registered
65 Posts
ShumDit...It does, but like a lot of other things, just 'cause it says it doesn't make it necessarily so. WD 40 is a fine product for bug and tar removal, rust penetration, and a host of other uses, but it does attract and retain moisture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts