Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my truck a little over a month ago (first time owning a diesel). I've been reading about the Supreme Diesel on other threads. Here in Southern California we are so limited on what we can put in our vehicles as far as fuel goes. I noticed that the company that makes the BP supreme also does the BP ECD Fuel which ARCO sells. Of course it is supposedly the new so called enviromentaly clean fuel. I wouldn't run ARCO gas in my old 2000 1500 Silverado because of what I've heard other people say about it. Does anyone have any experience with the ARCO Diesel fuel? If it's a bad one to use what is the best Diesel fuel in Southern California to use?

·
Registered
625 Posts
In southern Ca, I finnd flying J a good choice. At least at the station I go to, they can't keep it in stock so it's as fresh as can be. truck runs smooth. also have done Mobil, and it is also great.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Supposedly, they had an early version of the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. High Cetane, low sulfur content. None of the ARCO stations around here sell it.

Went to their website, which is now just a "shell". No information at all on the diesel products. Guess thats what happens when you get bought out (by BP).

I use Chevron.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know much about Diesel fuel here in SoCal. How can I tell if I'm getting good fuel or low quality (other than if my truck runs like s***)? I have noticed a substantial difference in prices of #2 if I shop around. I have seen it as cheap (oxymoron) as $2.09 and sometimes it's even more than regular unleaded at $2.36 or so. I can't figure out the huge price differences as the gasoline grades stay much closer in price from station to station.

Gar

·
Registered
10 Posts
lakingslayer, thanks for that arco list. I just threw $20 of ECD in last night at the balboa/I-805 Arco, I'll post an update if there is any noticeable difference. Beware though, it was $2.38/gallon at that station. That is the most I've ever paid for diesel. Regular #2 averages around $2.09 with regular unleaded gas averaging about $2.29 in my area.

What kind of gas mileage are you southern california people getting? My truck has almost 1700 miles and the dic mpg read-out has been slowly growing higher since the day I drove it off the lot. Started at 9.9 mpg and just yesterday hit 15.1! I run 85% freeway (65-70mph), 15% on dirt trails in the mountains (5-15mph).

slayer, what part of SD you in? I'm up near the I-5/52 freeways, but I drive all over the county.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran a tank of the ARCO stuff and didn't see any difference from the other stations I use. So far since there is such a limited number of suppliers to CA I just go for the cheapest and most frequented stations.

I've noticed that all the diesel prices have shot up past regular unleaded to the supreme unleaded range. My mileage from the DIC is averaging 18.2 to 18.9 depending on how I drive it. I drive some days at 65mph and others at 80mph. Mostly freeway(75% average) to and from work.

Colletti-I live in Chula Vista and commute to work in La Jolla.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts