Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Eric ! I bought a used 2001 D/A K3500 4x4. One of my first days, not used to the feel of shift lever and a bright sunny day, I accidently took off in 3rd gear ! Thinking it sounded different (winding up) I heard a strange high pitched rattling noise and backed off throttle. It to me sounded like bearing noise from transfer case, Then noticed i was doing about 55 in 3rd and tach in redline! Did I do any damage ? Would something make noises of complaint in this condition or is this not normal and I should have it checked out! I know this is difficult to answer! The dealer put in a rebuilt transfer case when I purchased so I suspect this one is faulty also! Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Dan, its possible that the noise you are hearing is the pilot injection shutting off, its does this above ~2700 rpm, normal. If you think the t-case is noisy though, I would have it checked out for sure. I have limped my truck at 70mph and it dropped to 3rd at that speed, the engine will actually rev to 4800 rpm on a downshift in some cases, I dont believe you damaged anything in the engine. I would listend carefully and see if noise is indeed from t-case or not

Eric

1 - 2 of 2 Posts