Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was detailing the truck today when I noticed a considerable amount of soot on the firewall behind the EGR valve. I have owned one other LLY with all of the EGR "goodies" and I never noticed the smoke. I installed the block off plate in December and thought that I might have some loose connections back there but everything seems like it is buttoned up right. Is there any other place that this stuff could be coming from or should I work on re-installing the blocker plate.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I would look at the EGR first. Is the factory gasket sitting right? Also, have you tried watching for exhaust soot with someone else giving some pedel?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
You can always carefully feel your hand around for an exhaust leak.

DO NOT DO THIS if the engine is warm or just has been run hard. The exhaust will be HOT! If you just start the truck up for the first time in the morning, the exhaust will be a safe temp

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I was just out looking for some exhaust leaks and can't find any (using a light, buddy revving the engine) so I think that I will try and reposition the stock gasket and recheck everything one more time. Is it possible that the gasket isn't quite fully expanded when the trucks cold and it lets a little bit of soot loose?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
hmmmm maybe...Id check really carefully around the exhaust riser to EGR cooler pipe connection. The leaks can be tricky to track down if they are small.

Thats why I completely took my EGR out and welded the exhaust riser pipe shut! :D

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You don't count Ben, for the rest of us non-BD tuboed people, we are stuck with it for now!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't count Ben, for the rest of us non-BD tuboed people, we are stuck with it for now!
So true (read:EXTREME JEALOUSY). After I readjust the plate, I'll check again and then I'll just have to play the waiting game and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
have you checked your v-band clam from the downpipe to the front pipe of the exhaust? i saw one on a dyno once that was smoking from the engine compartment under WOT and the clamp was lose..

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
hey you can take it out too! Remove the EGR cooler. Remove EGR. Weld blocker plate on the EGR. Remove passenger side exhaust riser. Weld blocker plate on exhaust riser. Done. :D

dont be jealous of me tho...I still only have one fan spinning under my hood.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A big Thank You for the quick responses, hopefully I can run this down tomorrow and get everything back to normal.

Oh and Ben, for some strange reason I get the feeling that your single fan makes that truck just a little bit more fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
hehe :funnypost:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts