Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this forum for about 5 months
I have learned quite a bit. However, in the interest of more discussion, I would like to hear the debate about when to service the transfer case and rear end if you plan to pull a trailer. Is within the first 1500 miles about right to eliminate manufacturing metal shavings? I have put together a service schedule that is no doubt very conservative
Opinions please.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Take a look in your manual under break in, 500 miles easy driving and no pulling a trailer, then after 500 miles of pulling a trailer keep speeds under 55. After this change your rear axle oil, then your good to go.

Engine oil I changed mine after the first 1000 miles and go to 5000 there after.

Go here there is a lot of helpful information.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=13

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John Thanks for the reply. I noticed you are using the PullRite Super Glide 5th wheel hitch. How do you get that thing in and out of the truck (with the weight factor) and can you hook to your trailer on an angle or do you have to approach it straight on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey master...I am getting a new LLY as well and want you opinion since you have done more research.....Are the injector problems worked out with the new LLY motor???????I am scared sh***less about the horrer stories on this forum with the injectors

·
Registered
274 Posts
GMAN,

Let not your heart be troubled. From my little bit of experience on the matter I am not worried at all. One of the big things they improved was moving all of the Fuel lines Out of the Valve covers. Also, making it so much easier to service the injectors makes me feel better about keeping the truck over 100K. The warranty covers all of it for the first 100K anyway.

My personal thoughts are If I have seen A LOT of problems with the new setup during the first 100K Mi. I will trade it in before Warranty runs out. I Really don't think that is going to happen though, So I will likely keep it forever...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gman: I am not concerned about the injector issue as I am about being able to purchase high quality fuel (maybe the two are somewhat related
. I am still trying to decide on secondary fuel filtration. I am down to the following two options:

No filtration and frequent filter change; or,

Positive pressure filtration, pre OEM.

Still debating the issue
. I have a month to go.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
John R said:
Take a look in your manual under break in, 500 miles easy driving and no pulling a trailer, then after 500 miles of pulling a trailer keep speeds under 55. After this change your rear axle oil, then your good to go.

John,

I'm not going to make that. Our first real pull is 758 miles to Hilton Head in April. I've got 1850 miles on the truck and I've done 1 test pull with the trailer to set the hitch and check the brakes (25 miles).

I'm just going to change the front and rear diffs the last week of March or let it go until we get back. There is no way I will hold under 55 on I77

1 - 7 of 7 Posts