Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is in Minneapolis. His 6.5 TD has low water and gunky oil & is making some engine noise.
Doesn't sound to promising to me.
He needs to get back on the road.
Is there anybody nearby that has an engine? Price? GM longblock?
Somebody to do the swap?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If I was in that situation,assuming he lives in Il. , I would want to tow it back home. Other wise I see two round trips. Rent a large front wheel dolly with brakes & get it done. I It would be good to live near the supplier & or installer IMO. I would try to find a 2000 C/K or 2001 G van engine if buying used. Gm cut the compression to 19.1 in 99 & later engines & that is good. Better chance of getting a lower mileage & the last revision by GM of the 506 block with the Y2K or later engine. Look for the one with 4 drilled bosses behind the LH engine mount bracket.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lack of time on both ends for a tow job. We're hoping to find an engine nearby him and get it installed. If worst comes to worst we'll buy an el cheapo vehicle and get the truck when we can.

Anybody know of a cheap dependable ride in the Minneapolis vicinity?

I appreciate the input on the engine recomendation. Anybody know of one to purchase? I think I've come up with a possible third plan. But I sure don't feel like taking the time to drive to Minny right now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I know of a few reasonable priced diesel shops in the area, How many miles would the tow be??

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you are looking for an engine call John's Auto in Blaine 800-862-4543. Another good source is Kadinger's Near Menomonie WI 800-503-8895 . Post the specifics on the truck. I can make a couple calls. What's your son doing in MPLS? School, work, give us some idea of the timeline your on.

I just did a search of both places and no 6.5's.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Apitz in Lino Lakes or Diesel & import in Blaine could probably handle the install Let us know how we can help...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I went on www. car(dash)part.com for Mn & all the engines posted were hi miles or junk cores. Iv'e read that Dex Cool strips metal from the bearings quickly so your engine might also have cam & main problems. I would check Gm dealers or Jasper Engines for remanufactured prices. Be careful of quality & warranty ,as your making a huge investment in an older truck.IMO

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
1995 2500 xtracab Long Bed 2wd 6.5 TD
My son is going to school there. He has about an hour ride to school. At this point he might not need to be towed. But with the cold temps right now he would definately have to be followed. There is a 95 6.5 complete here about 90 miles south of Chicago, 123,000 miles for $1200. I have another 2 6.5's here at the house that might be in rebuildable condition. I don't really have the time or a shop to rebuild them in. I haven't had any need to be set up for that kind of work in years.
I'm not much on over the counter rebuilts. It seems like about one in 4 doesn't hold together. They give you a new motor but Your out all the labor & hassle time. I've never actually bought a rebuilt but I've seen the scenario come to life several times.
I've had good luck with salvage engines as long as you know where they come from.
All of my other vehicles are having various minor problems at the moment.
The International needs a rear rotor.
The 98 needs to be serviced and is leaking water at the water pump gasket. - I paid somebody to swap the water pump & now it looks as though I'll need to do it myself anyway - The Main Reason I rarely take my vehicles to shops - They almost always come back with something not right - even completely unrelated stuff like the oil & radiator caps missing on 2 differant occassions.
The 95 burb needs to be serviced and the glow plug light isn't coming on - bulb not burned out.
The Tahoe needs a starter.
The 89 needs the glow plugs checked & possibly batteries.
All minor stuff but I have the backhoe torn apart in the uninsulated, dirt floor toolshed. I just about have it back together but I would rather finish it right rather than throw it together & tear it apart again. I'm only about a day from being finished with it.
Anybody nearby that's a little contientious want a sidejob or 2 or 3?
What ever direction I start now it is going to take me a long day at the very least just to get on the road. Is there anybody
My computer kept locking up last night and I didn't get the replies til this morning.
I'll be calling.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/263601494.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/254224917.html

http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/251399738.html this is an engine in Iowa.

You may want to start searching Craig's List between here and there. Not sure what shape your son's 95 is in but it may be easier to get a different vehicle. My brother had my parents 6.2 blazer at college when the first tranny finally let go at 160K. They dumped it without fixing because they never would have gotten close to the rebuild.

Better yet PM partsguy662. He's in Eau Claire and in the parts biz. Might be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Salvage yard engine quality is determined by the formers ability to maintain properly & not abuse the unit. With the myriad of problems a 6.5 can have due to un & intentional abuse likelyhood of finding a quality unit is diminished greatly in comparison to ,say a 5.7 Vortech or 5.7 CFI engine. IMO the value of the 95 truck doesn't make financial sense to install any engine of suspect or non/guarnteed parts & labor to repair in place or R&R if needed. GM remans have solid warrantys. Jasper has a solid warranty but labor warranty to R&R varies by installer.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the links. All 3 have possibilities.

Jeli;1567077; said:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/263601494.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/254224917.html

http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/251399738.html this is an engine in Iowa.

You may want to start searching Craig's List between here and there. Not sure what shape your son's 95 is in but it may be easier to get a different vehicle. My brother had my parents 6.2 blazer at college when the first tranny finally let go at 160K. They dumped it without fixing because they never would have gotten close to the rebuild.

Better yet PM partsguy662. He's in Eau Claire and in the parts biz. Might be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't heard back from any of the ads for vehicles. Still checking around.

·
Registered
960 Posts
PM'ed you with more leads from local paper, Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As of now 10 am Sunday, we haven't found anything.
He's calling about a VW Fox at 12:30. We have high hopes that Josh will get connected on this one, it's the time the guy gets home from church.
We've had a lot of no answers & unreturned phone calls. What is it with people in the Minneapolis area, that they put no info - such as how many miles are on the vehicle, tire condition, etc - in their ads? I looked at a couple that simply said car for sale or truck for sale and a phone number.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well depending on what is going on, I may be able to take some time off this week and do a tow job. pay for fuel and meals, I would possibly be willing to tow is to you.

Jon

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I had a freind looking to buy a 6.2 Suburban in Minneapolis about three weeks ago. He had cash in his pocket and the seller drug his feet for so long my freind told him to shove the deal. He did not try to deal him down or anything. All he wanted to do was show up and look over the truck and hand him cash. You are not the only one that can not seem to make a deal in the Twins.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We finally got the Fox bought. I have a guy lined up to do an engine swap. I have to find time to haul the engine up there now.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Glad to hear you got something to work. Have a safe trip up...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.