Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I start my truck today, its in limp mode, rough idle and has a check engine light, I open the hood and I see this. I have no clue what happened or how it happened, the last time I drove it 2 days ago it was all fine, no check engine, idled smooth. I got my OBD2 reader and read the codes p0045, p2149, p0207, p0098, p0107, p0405, p2564, p0402. Needless to say my wiring harness is messed up, my question is whats the best way to go about fixing this? Some of the wires have been chewed down to their end, how much will this repair cost? where can I get proper replacement wires? So far this seems to be the only place in the engine bay with damaged wires. From searching on google a new wiring harness looks to be about $600-$750, I'd prefer not to put down so much money on something that seems minor, used ones on Ebay are going for about $250 and usually need repairing. Its a good clean truck, I need advice and suggestions on how to go about this and where I can get the parts to do so... I don't want to break the bank.

·
Administrator
15,963 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)
I would search your local Wrecking/Salvage yards or look at online sites like car-part.com to locate a cost-effective, replacement harness

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
It would be a little tedious, but you can repair those wire breaks yourself. Lots of Youtube videos about broken/chewed wires and what to do to fix them. Basically, you clean up both ends of the broken wire, get glue-type heat shirink over the wire, then solder the ends together and then seal the heat shrink. May need to add some wire if there isn't enough to do the repair, which means more splices, more soldering, more heat shrink. but all very doable and the price will be something less than $25, if you have/borrow a solder iron/gun , and YOU do the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So from looking around I think the exact part I'm looking for is the 'Bale connector', can anyone confirm that or what part of the harness that is actually called? So far I haven't been able to find just the bale connector. Far as repairing it myself goes I have no clue what wire would go where, the critter chewed them down pretty good, If anyone could provide any diagrams for it that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OKDualy gave you good information. Even if you find the bale connector, you still have to repair the wiring, i.e. red to red, black to black, orange to orange. Your dealer parts department can tell you if the bale connector is available.

Reactions: Vinnycent

·
Registered
29 Posts
From the photos, the bale connector appears to be fine. This is not an insurmountable job, just do one wire at a time marking where it came from according to color and size. TAKE YOUR TIME, don't get in a hurry and as previously posted, red to red, black to black, white to white, etc etc. Just finished a similar project on an LBZ, I don't think you want to replace the harness with all the connections located in, around and under the engine, with some that are virtually impossible to get to unless you pull the motor, that is something that even my professional tech buddy at GMC would want to avoid.
GM upfitters has a wiring diagram and full schematics but from the photos, you should have no problem just repairing the individual wires according to color and size.Just pull back the harness cover wrap for a clean look at all the wires As an example, there may be different color pink wires but one will be darker or even a different size.
Make certain that you disconnect your batteries before performing any work on any ECM or TCM wire harness
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd splice it. You have enough wire to maintain your color coding so you can use any color wire for the splice. I scrape the old wires with a knife to expose good copper and use extra flux paste to get a good bond. Make sure you twist the wires together well. They'll hold up much better to vibration that way. Finish it off with shrink tubing. Tedious job, but it will save you a ton of money.
I'd say you have a squirrel or mouse problem. I use a sonic repeller that works off of 12 vdc. Available on e-bay. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It doesnt appear in the pictures that the wires were chewed off at the entrance into the connector. Like others have said, take your time and replace the wires using solder and heat shrink. Carefully remove the tape and separate the wires. I bet it isnt as bad as you think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I called a salvage yard that specialized in diesels to see if they had the harness I needed and luckily they did. It cost me $300 because it has all the ECM and TCM connectors on it, I replaced the harness myself which in total took probably 4-5 hours. Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Administrator
15,963 Posts
Well I called a salvage yard that specialized in diesels to see if they had the harness I needed and luckily they did. It cost me $300 because it has all the ECM and TCM connectors on it, I replaced the harness myself which in total took probably 4-5 hours. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Glad you resolved the issue.
Thanks for giving us an update!

(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts