Diesel Place banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Geez I was hopeful for a better outcome.
Sorry brother.

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can replace all the plastic in the interior. I probably taken it apart completely at least five times. The only thing I really can't replace is the motor and the transmission. And I think those are probably just fine. That's a pretty good outcome. And honestly I really wanted a new radio cuz my old one doesn't really work that well with my new phone :) you know what they say. When God closes the door he opens a window.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
And my wife thinks it's funny that I have to park my truck right outside the window of the room at hotels, leave the blinds open so I can see it when I wake in the night.

First night back home in Vegas, 2nd day of ownership, back in 2005 with my new LBZ, sitting right outside my condo at the time, they broke in it. Didn't get anything. Nothing in it yet and no other damage than the door handle like yours. Stupid GM engineering. Anyhow... Idk if it helps, but I did install thick billet aluminum handles and handle buckets figuring they can't just break the plastic again.

Reminds me... I gotta go figure a way to cable a wheel to the step rails when parked...

Reactions: OkDually

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)

Oh the irony.

I'm definitely going to go with billet in the future, but that doesn't stop them breaking the window next.

In aircraft we have these things called firewall fuel valves that we use to shut the fuel off to an engine if it's failing or on fire. I'm sure I could rig one that would be hard to find and just cut it off when I park somewhere. Of course, the ones for aviation are probably a billion dollars, but no fuel, no drive. Or it would just die in the middle of everything, denying them the ability to get it to a quiet place and strip it.

If you're REALLY bored....

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Forget 60 seconds, gone in 10.
First 10 seconds:
The speed at which they can hook and book is crazy. Hence my wanting to cable the wheels. Make 'em bring a flatbed - lol.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm not to cool for da boot. Cabling the wheels requires a lock, no?

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Most of these people doing the crime have a prison education learning tricks from others while inside.
I've seen them use the elastic from a pair of boxer shorts and some tooth powder to cut through steel bars.

If they want it they're gonna get it no matter what.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I'm not to cool for da boot. Cabling the wheels requires a lock, no?
Yea. And like Dually says, if they want it... Locks only keep honest people out. But, that's all crime prevention is anyway - slow 'em down or make 'em pick an easier target.

On the locks, I like and have the exact lock he shows in that video. Took a large set of bolt cutters. A grinder would be faster, but louder. All things to make it less appealing than the next guy. Here's locks I try and use where I can:
Font Circle Auto part Metal Fashion accessory
Body jewelry Earrings Jewellery Circle Oval

I also like a kill switch and a disabling alarm. Park with the drive axle less accessible so it can't be picked up quickly by a tow truck. Although if they want to they can just drag it with the locked axle wheels skidding. Again, noise.

But if they want it they will get it for no lock is unbeatable.

Add to that the fact that we drive the most stolen vehicle in the US. They say it's the F150, but not if you combined the Chevy with the GM trucks, which are the same. That makes the Silverado / Sierra #1.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well boo

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I'm glad you got it back though. Minimal damage, really. If you want, I'll go look under the dash to see which wire kills the ignition. If you hide it well enough so that when they rip your dash apart they can't see the spliced in kill switch...

The one I had on the '90 Z71 was right over the gas pedal. I could turn it on / off with the toes of my shoe and nobody knew.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Shortly after purchasing my rig new in 05, I learned about Revelco Anti Theft device though a Saturday morning car care radio show called Simmons car care. Simmons is a local auto shop that specializes in 4x4's and custom drive shaft builds. The show was informative and would take call-in to aid listeners troubleshooting problems. One of their sponsors was Revelco. After researching the product, I couldn't find any negative review and was taken back by the positive reviews that continue today.
I called them and set up an appointment for a day I was at the firehouse. When the fellow showed up, he introduced himself and informed he he too was a Firefighter (Captain) with North West Fire district and this was his "side business".
I had a pretty good idea on the theory of operation of the Revelco and understood the wires would require splicing into a couple of circuits to interrupt start up. I asked him if he intended to solder and heat shrink all splices and also requested a spacific location for the female plug that gets permanently installed onside the rig. I realized this would take a fair amount of time and he indicated he only allowed two hours of installation per job. That said he stated he only used quality butt connectors and installed the receptacle in the lower dash portion making his install much simpler. I was very disappointed and apologized for wasting his time since I wasn't going for that. We talked a bit longer and he made me an offer to sell me the product and provide a specific schematic for my rig saving me $200. IIRC, I paid $300, it took me every bit of six hours to install but the outcome was as I had envisioned. Having the dash completely apart previously when I had installed as Escalade lux sound and touch screen nav system I knew the sequence of removing all the interior panels without breaking any clips etc.
I'm not naive to believe this single devise will prevent the rig from being loaded onto a flat bed but I can say with pretty good certainty that the rig will not start with the male key removed. The plug has 16 pins providing the system with 100K combinations for a D***head to guess. There's four black wires inside a steel armor cable. The ends of the wires have tear off labels for the installer to keep track during installation. I took it a step further and used a meter to tone the pins to create a jumper wire schematic that I keep hidden very well along with two baby jumpers in the event I loose the male key.

Read on the product here:
get-a-ravelco
I know some folks reading this will not agree but living 60 miles north of the Mexican boarder this device gives me piece of mind. Honestly, I probably wouldn't own had it been installed via butt connectors and easy location of the receptacle.

Each front door window has a Revelco sticker above the lock/handle to hopefully entice said D***head to hit an easier target.
Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door

The location I used was the cigarette lighter.
This shows the plug (key) inserted.
Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle audio Steering part

With the key removed a dust cover on.
Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part Family car

The quality of the moulded pins and key is quite nice. The key has an indexer and plugs in without fuss.
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

The small pin schematic folded in half and two jumpers are stashed in the truck in the event I loose the cannon plug key.
The keys have a serial number allowing the purchase of a replacement key (system comes with two keys) but only if you had registered the product. I have read some folks had frustrations in ordering replacement key because they failed to register online.
Blue Body jewelry Finger Thumb Wrist

A very simple solution that requires a D***head too much time to figure out if at all. It would require the removal the the fuse box under the hood to expose the main bundle of wires only to sort through and locate the splices. BTW, you might think cut the black wires and re-splice the original wires back together right? Not the way I installed it. I cut entire sections out making it next to impossible to reconnect the original wires back in a timely manner. Some wires are spliced much further away from the fuse box in an exaggerated staggered fashion.
Again, nothing is D***head proof but time and exposure is not something they want to deal with so they most likely move on to a "soft target". Not only does this interrupt the starter circuit, but the engine shuts off when the male key is pulled (without throwing codes).
I've said too much....

Another solution....
"C'mon in, let's talk about it"...
Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Vertebrate Truck

roswell, good luck finding your truck parts brother. You do have a sweet rig and I'm glad you recovered it.

Peace.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Shortly after purchasing my rig new in 05, I learned about Revelco Anti Theft device though a Saturday morning car care radio show called Simmons car care. Simmons is a local auto shop that specializes in 4x4's and custom drive shaft builds. The show was informative and would take call-in to aid listeners troubleshooting problems. One of their sponsors was Revelco. After researching the product, I couldn't find any negative review and was taken back by the positive reviews that continue today.
I called them and set up an appointment for a day I was at the firehouse. When the fellow showed up, he introduced himself and informed he he too was a Firefighter (Captain) with North West Fire district and this was his "side business".
I had a pretty good idea on the theory of operation of the Revelco and understood the wires would require splicing into a couple of circuits to interrupt start up. I asked him if he intended to solder and heat shrink all splices and also requested a spacific location for the female plug that gets permanently installed onside the rig. I realized this would take a fair amount of time and he indicated he only allowed two hours of installation per job. That said he stated he only used quality butt connectors and installed the receptacle in the lower dash portion making his install much simpler. I was very disappointed and apologized for wasting his time since I wasn't going for that. We talked a bit longer and he made me an offer to sell me the product and provide a specific schematic for my rig saving me $200. IIRC, I paid $300, it took me every bit of six hours to install but the outcome was as I had envisioned. Having the dash completely apart previously when I had installed as Escalade lux sound and touch screen nav system I knew the sequence of removing all the interior panels without breaking any clips etc.
I'm not naive to believe this single devise will prevent the rig from being loaded onto a flat bed but I can say with pretty good certainty that the rig will not start with the male key removed. The plug has 16 pins providing the system with 100K combinations for a D***head to guess. There's four black wires inside a steel armor cable. The ends of the wires have tear off labels for the installer to keep track during installation. I took it a step further and used a meter to tone the pins to create a jumper wire schematic that I keep hidden very well along with two baby jumpers in the event I loose the male key.

Read on the product here:
get-a-ravelco
I know some folks reading this will not agree but living 60 miles north of the Mexican boarder this device gives me piece of mind. Honestly, I probably wouldn't own had it been installed via butt connectors and easy location of the receptacle.

Each front door window has a Revelco sticker above the lock/handle to hopefully entice said D***head to hit an easier target.
View attachment 648015
The location I used was the cigarette lighter.
This shows the plug (key) inserted.
View attachment 648016
With the key removed a dust cover on.
View attachment 648017
The quality of the moulded pins and key is quite nice. The key has an indexer and plugs in without fuss.
View attachment 648018
The small pin schematic folded in half and two jumpers are stashed in the truck in the event I loose the cannon plug key.
The keys have a serial number allowing the purchase of a replacement key (system comes with two keys) but only if you had registered the product. I have read some folks had frustrations in ordering replacement key because they failed to register online.
View attachment 648019
A very simple solution that requires a D***head too much time to figure out if at all. It would require the removal the the fuse box under the hood to expose the main bundle of wires only to sort through and locate the splices. BTW, you might think cut the black wires and re-splice the original wires back together right? Not the way I installed it. I cut entire sections out making it next to impossible to reconnect the original wires back in a timely manner. Some wires are spliced much further away from the fuse box in an exaggerated staggered fashion.
Again, nothing is D***head proof but time and exposure is not something they want to deal with so they most likely move on to a "soft target". Not only does this interrupt the starter circuit, but the engine shuts off when the male key is pulled (without throwing codes).
I've said too much....

Another solution....
"C'mon in, let's talk about it"...
View attachment 648020
roswell, good luck finding your truck parts brother. You do have a sweet rig and I'm glad you recovered it.

Peace.
Excellent (y)

The job is to make your rig less desirable than others. I've countless security devices all around my home - including very publicly cleaning my firearms either on the front porch or in the open door garage and open carrying - and people always say, "So you have trouble here." Lol, no, none at all. And that is no accident.

Crime prevention means sending them to an easier target. At least until "ending" them comes back in to fashion ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Excellent (y)

The job is to make your rig less desirable than others. I've countless security devices all around my home - including very publicly cleaning my firearms either on the front porch or in the open door garage and open carrying - and people always say, "So you have trouble here." Lol, no, none at all. And that is no accident.

Crime prevention means sending them to an easier target. At least until "ending" them comes back in to fashion ;-)
100% agree with only one exception.
I never ever open carry. Make no mistake, I'm very well armed as is my wife.
My theory is simple, if the bad guy doesn't know I'm armed, I might not be his first target in a mass shooting. I never sit with my back to any exit or entrance (including restroom doors) and always choose where I sit when in public. Some call me paranoid, I call it condition yellow.
Been concealed carry permitted since it was first legal in AZ back in 97. Now every knucklehead can carry open or concealed without permit in Az. All that said, my wife and I stay proficient with our personal weapons and have ample range time. Thats my idea of gun control.:)
Sorry Roswell, no more hijack.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
100% agree with only one exception.
I never ever open carry. Make no mistake, I'm very well armed as is my wife.
My theory is simple, if the bad guy doesn't know I'm armed, I might not be his first target in a mass shooting. I never sit with my back to any exit or entrance (including restroom doors) and always choose where I sit when in public. Some call me paranoid, I call it condition yellow.
Been concealed carry permitted since it was first legal in AZ back in 97. Now every knucklehead can carry open or concealed without permit in Az. All that said, my wife and I stay proficient with our personal weapons and have ample range time. Thats my idea of gun control.:)
Sorry Roswell, no more hijack.
I feel ya. I used to believe the same way years back. Good arguments on both sides. Last I checked (10 years ago maybe), not a single person has ever been targeted (shot) for open carry. Which made me look into it further. There was one at a Michigan college that turned out to be a hoax.

We can have that discussion elsewhere out of respect for this thread. But let me lay out a few quickies: My main reasons for open carry is to show that good guys can be armed and not a threat (normalize the sight of guns), that I support 2A as a right and not a privilege (paying to CC) and to let others know that I not fooking around (attack me and this will get deadly). If you conceal for the element of surprise you've forfeited any ability as a deterrent.

It was uncomfortable at first, but as soon people start coming up to thank you and shake your hand you begin to see mission being accomplished.

You know me, create a 2A thread and I'll be there (y)

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@firestopper ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to pass all this info along in such a well-made post. This would be a great solution and probably get a decent insurance discount. I'll add it to the list of things for 'when I get it back' Great idea. Sorry it took so long, I had a lot to do for a new job yesterday, including getting something notarized in a snowstorm, lol.

~Roz

Reactions: firestopper

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
All that said, my wife and I stay proficient with our personal weapons and have ample range time. Thats my idea of gun control.:)
There's proficient, and then there's proficient. Check out the hole in the little man's heart at 25yd. 'Course, he's not the one who stole my truck so...

That's one of the other sort of personal wounds about this. I've got a custom carry sidearm and had a sweet Kydex IWB holster I had made at OnYourSix in San Antonio before we moved. Nothing in a big box store fits it. And...because I was sloppy, the holster was in the vehicle. Not the end of the world but still. Hard to replace.

Glasses Hand Watch Plant Smile

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
We can have that discussion elsewhere out of respect for this thread.
Y'all can have it out in here if you like, I don't mind. It's still going to come down to personal feelings/beliefs and background. I was raised and trained as swift/silent/deadly. Any known threat can be mitigated or bypassed. Much like the thieves who stole much truck removed the licence plates in parking to mitigate the threat of the exit cameras identifying the vic on exit. I'm a walk softly and carry a big stick kinda guy. But I do appreciate you open carry folks being a deterrent, and distraction :) .

I think the argument that a threat might target open-carry folks first in a mass cas/insider sitch is however, unfounded. It's trying to apply logic to an illogical situation. Nobody reasonable or logical just opens up on a group, and when they do, it's hardly what you might call tactically executed. Now, if the situation were different and was just tactics between opposing forces, then open threats become targets of opportunity. But this too has nothing to do with open/cc. We've just taken a pistol to a rifle fight.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
There's proficient, and then there's proficient. Check out the hole in the little man's heart at 25yd. 'Course, he's not the one who stole my truck so...

That's one of the other sort of personal wounds about this. I've got a custom carry sidearm and had a sweet Kydex IWB holster I had made at OnYourSix in San Antonio before we moved. Nothing in a big box store fits it. And...because I was sloppy, the holster was in the vehicle. Not the end of the world but still. Hard to replace.

View attachment 648069
Y'all can have it out in here if you like, I don't mind. It's still going to come down to personal feelings/beliefs and background. I was raised and trained as swift/silent/deadly. Any known threat can be mitigated or bypassed. Much like the thieves who stole much truck removed the licence plates in parking to mitigate the threat of the exit cameras identifying the vic on exit. I'm a walk softly and carry a big stick kinda guy. But I do appreciate you open carry folks being a deterrent, and distraction :) .

I think the argument that a threat might target open-carry folks first in a mass cas/insider sitch is however, unfounded. It's trying to apply logic to an illogical situation. Nobody reasonable or logical just opens up on a group, and when they do, it's hardly what you might call tactically executed. Now, if the situation were different and was just tactics between opposing forces, then open threats become targets of opportunity. But this too has nothing to do with open/cc. We've just taken a pistol to a rifle fight.
I went ahead and made a thread. If we kept it here folks won't find it if that's what they're searching.

Reactions: firestopper

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Okay for now.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Remember, just something to make a thief pick an easier target.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts