Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say that I love my "dirty" as I like to call it and I love the fact that I found a 6-speed. However, I do have a couple of ?s. First, does anyone else have somewhat of a growling noise when depressing the clutch? I think it's in the throwout bearing but I'm not sure and at 70,000 I wouldn't think it would be but ??? Secondly, here as of this recent spurt of cold weather it doesn't seem to be wanting to shift like it did when I first bought it at 60,000. It could be just me being paranoid, but it doesn't seem like it want's to initially shift into gear after letting out the clutch and then it seems like 2nd to 3rd is kinda difficult unless I get the speed just right and it also doesn't seem like it wants to go into 4th on some occasions. Has anyone had any symptoms like this or any suggestions to try to alleviate these problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The growling noise is your Dual Mass Flywheel going south.GM will change your DMF under warranty.The growling and shifting problems will go away.
But,the DMF will fail again and the only real cure is an aftermarket solid flywheel and clutch setup.
Do a search on the DMF and you will find alot of info on this.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
blackdirtymax;1593443; said:
First off, let me say that I love my "dirty" as I like to call it and I love the fact that I found a 6-speed. However, I do have a couple of ?s. First, does anyone else have somewhat of a growling noise when depressing the clutch? I think it's in the throwout bearing but I'm not sure and at 70,000 I wouldn't think it would be but ??? Secondly, here as of this recent spurt of cold weather it doesn't seem to be wanting to shift like it did when I first bought it at 60,000. It could be just me being paranoid, but it doesn't seem like it want's to initially shift into gear after letting out the clutch and then it seems like 2nd to 3rd is kinda difficult unless I get the speed just right and it also doesn't seem like it wants to go into 4th on some occasions. Has anyone had any symptoms like this or any suggestions to try to alleviate these problems.
Welcome to the site. fill out your sig so we know what you have. and join on the brotherhood of hand shakers

·
Registered
390 Posts
Also, the shifting is going to be harder in the winter as the oil is thicker. I've noticed this in my truck and it is less than a year old. Gets smoother when it warms up. Definitely going to want to get a single mass flywheel set-up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
819 Posts
blackdirtymax;1593443; said:
One suggestion I can make is, change the Oil in the Transmission. It should have had at least one oil change on the transmission by now. GM recommends changing the manual transmission oil in the ZF6 after 25,000mi (can't remember the interval for after that). Previous owner may not have done this, or it is time to change it again.
I waited (lazy) till almost 37,000mi till I changed mine (did rear diff. the at the same time). I finally changed it for two reasons, I was going to tow heavy in a couple days, and the stiff shifting was getting on my nerves. After I changed the oil, it did shift a lot smoother.
That may be something to look into.

jc
Sorry for the late reply

·
Registered
495 Posts
In my GM book, it says the ZF-6 doesn't even need an oil change! I know thats BS, but where did you find the 25,000 interval at?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. My old 1/2 ton had a recommended service interval of 150,000 miles with Synchromesh in the case. I would expect the ZF to go at least that far, if not farther, since it uses Transynd synthetic fluid.

Cold oil is cold oil whether or not it is synthetic. As others have already stated, it's going to be stiff the first couple of shifts when the weather is cold (below 20 degrees F). What blackdirtymax is reporting does seem a little extreme compared to what I've experienced. Usually mine is just stiff going into 3rd, but you can feel resistance on the shifter through all of the gears. After a few shifts it goes away and shifts just like it would on an 80 degree day.

·
Registered
819 Posts
quote:
In my GM book, it says the ZF-6 doesn't even need an oil change!
I know thats BS, but where did you find the 25,000 interval at?

I can't find where I saw that, but I swear I saw it somewhere.
So, I sent off an e-mail to ZF North America to find out straight from
the horses mouth. I'll post what they said when I get the response.

jc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts