Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I haven't posted for a long while, but I've still been lurkin and reading all the available info. I try to do the research myself, but some questions I just can't seem to find the answers for...

I checked my coolant level this morning before I left for work, (why?...because I like to keep an eye on these things)...and I noticed that it was down from the "cold" mark by about 1/4". The last time I added coolant to it was back in August...and it was down by about the same amount then. I do get some white smoke on startup...but I don't smell coolant, and it goes away once warm...so I'm chalking that up to glow plugs, (which I just bought new ones to put in). I check the upper rad hose on startup every now and again...and it never gets hard right away...it always stays soft for a couple of minutes. And I pulled the oil fill cap off last night after shutting her down, and while there was a bit of vapor...it wasn't anything I would call a great amount. So...question number would be...is it normal for 6.5's to use some coolant over a period of time? Could it be a small leak around the cap?...or perhaps at a fitting somewhere that I can't see? Or is it a sign that I could have a small leak in the head gasket that is so small, that the amount it's leaking wouldn't really show up anywhere?

I've also been looking at installing a fast idle switch...but can't make a whole lot of sense of the directions on the Kennedy web site. I know it's the center connector...and I'm supposed to put the terminal pin in A6 correct...which is the bottom row on the pink connector. Is that about right? I get confused when he mentions the bottom row matching up with the top row, or something like that.

I'm going to be using this truck in August to pull my travel trailer about 9000 miles...and I want to make sure I don't have any major problems before I start doing my upgrades, (gauges, heat sync, exhaust, cooling upgrades, deep tranny pan). I'd apprciate any info you guys could provide.

Jamie

·
Registered
943 Posts
It is not normal for any engine to use any coolant at all, and to have to add would suggest a leak, burning, whatever.

However, I would not be too concerned if your coolant level is down 1/4" from the level it was in August. Coolant expands some when hot, contracts when cool, so I would be inclined to wonder that perhaps it may just be cooler this morning than it was in August, and the coolant has shrunk up a bit.

Something to keep keeping your eye on though, if you have to add any at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far. I'm not likin the thought of anything major with my cooling system...but I'll keep an eye on things and see if/how it progresses. Maybe I'll get lucky it's because of something small.

I'll take another run at the fast idle set up too...maybe this weekend if I get a chance.

Jamie

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If thats all you've added it's a non issue at this time. Just keep on keeping that eye on everything and if it becomes a problem you will know it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If the block's failed, your oil will be hydrolized and milky.

Check the top radiator hose. Give it a squeeze while the engine is not running. Then start your engine and go back and check the hose. If your head gasket failed, it'll push past your thermostat and pressurize your system rapidly. The hose will become hard.

Yeah, you could run it like that but when you shut it off, coolant can accumulate in your cylinder and wash away the oil film. Every start is like the first but without assembly lube. You'll wear the snot out of your cylinders. I wouldn't let this go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts