Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sorry its blurry, but you can see the garbage that collects in the injector when removing the fee line.

Below, 8 New injectors waiting for there new home

Edited by: dmaxalliTech

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Top is the return line that hooks to each injector. You can see the seal in the picture, thats what is a major cause of fuel in the oil leak.. THIS MUST be replaced when ever its removed.

Top right is injector cups just before install, they have loc-tite which is what seals them to the head applied

Below is injector cups cleaned and ready for install

Edited by: dmaxalliTech

·
Registered
994 Posts
Eric,

Neat !! In the picture with the injector cup that have Loc-tite, is that an injector laying on its side? Also, when replacing an injector, you don't replace the injector cup do you?

We have been talking about these things failing, its good to see some actual pictures! The shop manual I have only has drawings, no pictures. Kind of odd.

Alan

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alan, normally I dont reseal injector cup, in thiscase, when I pulled the injector, the cup came with it. Did all 8 at that point, only takes another 15 minutes

Eric

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Nice Eric...

Is the crud you are talking about the brown? Where does it come from?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoot said:
Nice Eric...

Is the crud you are talking about the brown? Where does it come from?

Yes, its from the crap that builds up on the feed line, its falls down there when you remove it, its not there when engine is assembled as some believe. You put it there when you take it apart

Eric

·
Registered
276 Posts
Where does this "crud" sit in the feed line then BEFORE you take it off?

It seems like that would all be passed thru the injectors???

That's wild stuff...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
306 Posts
WOW ... That;s like over 2k$ in injectors sitting there...plus labor...yikes!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kad, the crud is above the fitting and not in there, it is inbetween the nut and the ouside of the fitting, falls in when loosening.

Mic, a little more then that, list is 560.00 ea..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Eric,

Great pic's, it's good to know a little more about them critters. Hope not to have it done, but good to know.

Mark

·
Registered
665 Posts
Why the heat discoloration of the rocker arm ends. Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Eric,

Are there really any tricks to replacing injectors, special tools, etc. that would keep an old wrench turner like me from replacing them.

It would appear to me that it's just extremely tedious removing all the crap on top to get to them? I recall the picture of you working on a truck from which you had removed the front wheels and set 'er down on the ball joints! Very clever.

Does one need a Tech II when done or will the ECM "relearn" the new injectors over time?

Sure hoping some after market ones (and less expensive) appear before I need them.

George

1 - 13 of 13 Posts