Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/393-home-property-place/752641-new-home.html so here's something new...
Decided to have a solar company come over and give us some info on solar. Was pretty impressed with what they came up with and it didn't take much time, they were prepared. Before they even come look at the property they asked for the past 12 months electric bills so they could see an average of what is used throughout the year, and then they looked at an aerial map to figure out the best place to put panels. When they arrived they showed us everything on a laptop and figured 28 panels on the shop to supply us with our average usage. No batteries, the power made and not used is "banked" through the grid until we need more than we are making at the time. For the $$ that we would be paying the power company monthly we will be paying the solar loan off. Ended up deciding to go ahead with the project and work starts Thursday.

Anyone else have any experience with solar panels for the home?

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
My BIL has them on his house and loves them. Curious, how many years is your note for them? I have looked many times before but I don't feel that I will be in my current house long enough pay for them. And we have a fairly large lot for our neighborhood with a fairly small house, so when we sell it will likely have a large renovation done on it or could even be torn down to put in a bigger house. For this reason I fear they would not add much to the resale value.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We went out 12yrs but you can go out however long you want depending on how much you can afford per month$$$. Resale value I would think should be a plus with solar, everyone's looking to go green i guess??:confuzeld Your bill with the electric company is always going to go up, so if you can put solar on and make the payment that would originally be going to elec. co. and put towards the solar, why not?? Even at 12 years, loan payment stays the same for that 12 years, cant say that for your average electric bill.

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Sounds like the price has come down a lot since I last look if you are expecting a break even with your electric bill and pay off in 12 years. Might be time to look again, even though I have no plans to be in this house that long.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At our average usage and hoping that we don't use extra power, the #s are saying 8 years it will have paid for itself without power company annual increases. So probably even quicker that 8yrs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting. What is the life expectancy of the panels? What about insuring the panels for weather related damage? I have heard that some insurance companies do not insure the panels, not sure if that is true. (curious how hail would have an impact on the panel. ie: similar to a car window or more damage would occur). Thanks

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
2 things keep us from doing solar:
1) We are misers and don't use enough to justify it. The cost of the panels is the same regardless if you use a lot or a little electricity. I'll still have electric service I have to pay for too. When the percentage of use is less, so too is the percentage of savings.
2) Can't trust the roof. Workmanship sucks here (I've been in construction over 45 years). I fully expect roof repairs even though I have a 2006 home with supposed 50 year concrete tiles -hahahahahaha

Other than that.... An issue I have seen is birds love to nest under them so people add chicken wire. Prolly easier to do with the install than after.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. What is the life expectancy of the panels? What about insuring the panels for weather related damage? I have heard that some insurance companies do not insure the panels, not sure if that is true. (curious how hail would have an impact on the panel. ie: similar to a car window or more damage would occur). Thanks
1. There is a 25 year warranty on the system so i'm hoping that the lifespan is more than that.
2. Homeowners insurance is going up about $50/yr to cover system.
3.IIRC panels are rated for 2' hail and 150mph winds. I'll have to double check ..

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Would you possibly have the land that you can install the panels on rather than the roof? Just eliminates any issues with messing with the roof. Or perhaps an out building.

Maybe some day they will just be roofing with solar shingles. Hm...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its actually going to help the roof last longer due to not being impacted by the weather. I thought about the ground but where they recommended them, I buried a foundation from an old barn and didn't want to deal with mowing around them either. Keep them on the roof and then hopefully I don't have to worry about anything until I have to replace the roof.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installation is done. Didn’t take very long. I’m supposed to get a call to go through everything and what if anything else needs to be done. There’s an app for monitoring the system also so we can see if everything is working correctly. It monitors each panel and the entire system, if one isn’t producing as much power I will be able to see. The company I bought the system through keeps tabs on my panels through the web and usually catches any issues before the homeowner does. Pretty pleased with the process so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
1. There is a 25 year warranty on the system so i'm hoping that the lifespan is more than that.
2. Homeowners insurance is going up about $50/yr to cover system.
3.IIRC panels are rated for 2' hail and 150mph winds. I'll have to double check ..
I am very surprised. All of the info above sounds very promising. I will check back in 25 years. :HiHi:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its actually going to help the roof last longer due to not being impacted by the weather. I thought about the ground but where they recommended them, I buried a foundation from an old barn and didn't want to deal with mowing around them either. Keep them on the roof and then hopefully I don't have to worry about anything until I have to replace the roof.
If you put them on the ground you could get sheep so you don't have to mow. My wife's uncle "leases" out his sheep to the local electric co-op at no charge. Win win for everyone (he gets more pasture and co-op doesnt have to mow).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had sheep before, PITA to keep the buggers from getting out without a good woven wire fence and of course, I just have hot wires. I've got cattle and a few goats. Figured the cattle would rub on them or the posts and ruin them and the goats would jump up on them and ruin them. It crossed my mind to do it but its already bad enough with upkeep around my place. Don't need more work.
Cheers:beerchug:

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Babin Farms, ya know, it sure looks nice - having had your house destroyed so you could build a nice custom one the way you like it. I have always wanted to do that because my OCD and experience in construction, I know it would rock. Congrats brother. You turned lemons into lemonade. Nice job :thumb:

I helped our dad build our house when I was 11, but it's not like I had any say. Boy, if I did.... :p:

My current tract home... Turned the living room into a theater / cave. The dining room into a lounge. The 4th bedroom into a gym. The guest room is painted and boarded up like a military bunker. The guest bath a murder scene. The master bedroom a burned out ship / cave. And other parts of the house equally more fit in Popular Mechanics than Good Housekeeping. Doing what I can with someone else's 'canvas'...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My current tract home... Turned the living room into a theater / cave. The dining room into a lounge. The 4th bedroom into a gym. The guest room is painted and boarded up like a military bunker. The guest bath a murder scene. The master bedroom a burned out ship / cave. And other parts of the house equally more fit in Popular Mechanics than Good Housekeeping. Doing what I can with someone else's 'canvas'...
Sounds interesting....

The only thing with building new is the tax bill that comes with it. Built a home 400sq. ft. larger than the last one and taxes trippled:eek: Granted it's nicer and new but c'mon tax man!! Makes it harder to do any upgrades on the rest of the buildings, afraid the county will catch up with me.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
2 things keep us from doing solar:
1) We are misers and don't use enough to justify it. The cost of the panels is the same regardless if you use a lot or a little electricity. I'll still have electric service I have to pay for too. When the percentage of use is less, so too is the percentage of savings.
2) Can't trust the roof. Workmanship sucks here (I've been in construction over 45 years). I fully expect roof repairs even though I have a 2006 home with supposed 50 year concrete tiles -hahahahahaha

Other than that.... An issue I have seen is birds love to nest under them so people add chicken wire. Prolly easier to do with the install than after.
The tiles may be 50 years but it's the paper that is underneath that goes bad.
I had solar put on 5-1/2 years ago. I did the lease program due to not having the amount of money to purchase them outright. I have only had to purchase power from the utility company 4 times. This was during the summer months and running the A.C. a lot. I'm saving money even after the lease payment and the small fee to the utility company. Yes, I have to pay them to give them my solar energy.:facepalm:

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
The tiles may be 50 years but it's the paper that is underneath that goes bad.
I had solar put on 5-1/2 years ago. I did the lease program due to not having the amount of money to purchase them outright. I have only had to purchase power from the utility company 4 times. This was during the summer months and running the A.C. a lot. I'm saving money even after the lease payment and the small fee to the utility company. Yes, I have to pay them to give them my solar energy.:facepalm:
Just curious.... what was your highest electric bill? Ours was $183 (over 113 degrees outside). Lowest I think was about $50 in winter.

My neighbor got the smart meter same time we did. They have 1 more person than we do. Our house is one more bedroom (200 more sq.ft.) and their meter shows more than twice the usage as ours.

Most of my windows are boarded up like a crack house. CFL or LEDs throughout. Fans. And I was raised to turn off lights, close doors, waste not want not so there's no more reducing usage that we can do. And I play the environment thing where I turn off the HVAC when we leave, reduce when asleep. Open doors when it's nicer out than in. All that jazz. So solar is about all I got left to save, but not so sure it's worth it for our rather low level of usage. I need to add up the yearly again and see....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Just curious.... what was your highest electric bill? Ours was $183 (over 113 degrees outside). Lowest I think was about $50 in winter.

My neighbor got the smart meter same time we did. They have 1 more person than we do. Our house is one more bedroom (200 more sq.ft.) and their meter shows more than twice the usage as ours.

Most of my windows are boarded up like a crack house. CFL or LEDs throughout. Fans. And I was raised to turn off lights, close doors, waste not want not so there's no more reducing usage that we can do. And I play the environment thing where I turn off the HVAC when we leave, reduce when asleep. Open doors when it's nicer out than in. All that jazz. So solar is about all I got left to save, but not so sure it's worth it for our rather low level of usage. I need to add up the yearly again and see....
My electric is billed every 2 months. 95% of my lights are LED, good insulation everywhere, dbl pane windows, and when it cools down at night the windows open up also. I have a pool(with high efficient pumps), 4 people living here and my bill was a total of $22.00. Now I did have to use $44.00 of my electric credit banking.
If I remember when I first got them, I think I was saving about $65-$75 dollars a month in savings. 6 year old high efficient high seer HVAC.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
My electric is billed every 2 months. 95% of my lights are LED, good insulation everywhere, dbl pane windows, and when it cools down at night the windows open up also. I have a pool(with high efficient pumps), 4 people living here and my bill was a total of $22.00. Now I did have to use $44.00 of my electric credit banking.
If I remember when I first got them, I think I was saving about $65-$75 dollars a month in savings. 6 year old high efficient high seer HVAC.
Thanks :thumb: Well ya got me interested. Adding it to my list of things to do more research on...

Am I to understand your post that you used 22 + 44 ($66) for two months of juice? And I assume now during the hot months? I know we aren't comparable. Just looking at what kind of numbers you're dealing with.

Our air is 2006. Works great, but nothing special. Single stage and perfectly sized where I hit all the preferred numbers for operation on / off duration, temp dif from feed and supply. I added jumper vents a couple of years ago so the entire insulated portion is always conditioned (no closed off rooms). It reduced my bill by an average of $5 to $10 a month over the year. Which really just made us use that savings up by keeping it a bit cooler. And I sealed all the cans throughout. Not closing off rooms really made it more comfortable throughout as it helps avoid short cycling or wild temp fluctuations. If you're familiar... But that's another topic...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts