Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 2500 HD allison

when pulling horse trailer in mountains(4900 ft elevation)
I'm in 1st gear high range with tow haul on..pedal does not keep constant pressure going around steep and narrow canyon dirt roads.

pedal slowly loses pressure ...eventainly to the floor and then I'm without brakes!! and have to drive into the side ditch to stop or lock up the trailer brakes and the horses all plow into each other in the trailer.

The only solution so far is to creep in 4x low range.

why don't the brakes keep constant pressure??
:(

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Possibilities include:
1. when was your last brake inspection/service check? I'd start at the master cylinder and check fluid level. Working down I'd check each caliper with wheel removed for leaks and/or worn out pads.
2. if none of above then I'd bleed the entire brake system. could have air trapped in it or water in the lines since the fluid is over 2 years old based on your 2003.
3. if you ONLY have this in your described situatin then it could be basic "brake fade" from over heating them with constant braking going down hill. assuming normal brake feel when not towing down the extended grades.
4. I may recommend you add an exhaust brake to your setup if you tow in these conditions often.

That's all I know! Good luck! I'm sure others will add to the information pile for you to sort through!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Make sure you don't have a vacuum leak

1 - 3 of 3 Posts