Diesel Place banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
No not in the channel. But I think the water may have leaked down the channel, onto the floor. I had rusty floors like you as well. But ever since I took the cab weatherstripping off, silicones around all the little holes, and put the weatherstripping back in place over the silicone, no more wet floor. But that was just my case. Thought I’d share it with you incase you were still leaking some water and couldn’t figure it out.

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for the tip!

Friend of mine used to do windshields, he's gonna swing by tomorrow I think and take a look at it. I'll report back what he says.

I had the hood open with the AC running and there was water coming out of what I assume is the back side of air box. I'll snap a pic of what I'm talking about tomorrow and post it up.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Other thing to check is drain line from condenser. Min plugs up occasionally. And wet carpet on passenger side. Only happens when hot and humid.

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No update on the leak yet.

However, I did pull the trim panels off the driver and passenger front doors to stick the butyl on and out in some old Sony XPlode 6" speakers I've had sitting in the basement for the better part of a decade lol. It's getting better, but now I think I'm hearing wind noise from the windshield lol.

Say - would any of you gents with air seats happen to have a part number/ name/ source for the fitting at the back of the cab for the air lines? Mine is leaking on the outside half. I already cut a half inch of hose off and reinstalled. No dice. I also need to replace the T inside, drivers toggle and figure I should replace the lines that are under the floor mat as they're kinda tight now that I trimmed them to eliminate leaks

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts

I believe what your looking for is 15173404. It's #6 on the diagram.

041029TH16-668.JPG

How is your insulation project coming along?

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you!

I still need to do the back doors yet.

It's definitely better than it was. Not when I shut the doors it sounds like I'm shutting them on a nice pickup truck

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey fellas - any hints or write ups that that I missed on cleaning the AC drains?

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, not sure if it worked, but I did do some cleaning. The little flapper located under the condenser that I believe is the windshield drain was blocked up. I vacuumed that out and then removed the blower (3-5.5mm screws) and found more leaves sandwiched between the condenser and the housing. I tried to move the computer stack by removing a bunch of the 13mm bolts that hold the tube frame in place, but no dice. I then removed 8 or 9 of the 5.5mm screws that hold the 2 blower housing halves together. There are a few buried under the firewall that aren't practical to get at and there is another that secures on of the AC lines to the housing. There is also a tab that needs to be depressed (it's kind of under the blower fan hole). I was able to get a long screwdriver in between the two halves and used that to "shake" the outer section and a lot of debris fell out. I'm sure I didn't get all of it, but enough that I'm glad I went through the excercise. I was able to get a single 14ga solid wire into the drain that comes through the firewall about 3 or 4 inches. Afterwords I got my finger wet and while the AC was blowing, it felt like cool air was moving past my finger when placed directly in front of the drain. Not a lot, but I wouldn't expect there to be from a drain.

Now, I let the AC run for about 15 minutes and there was a decent amount of condensation coming out of the bottom of the big housing where a hole is, but nothing from the firewall drain. 2 questions here.

1- can anyone confirm is this is normal?
2- does anyone have a hose of some sort coming out of the bottom of the housing? The condensation drips right on a bunch of the wire harnesses and there are some connectors that I can see potentially getting damaged by this.

Pictures:

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Insulation update-
I haven't gotten to the rear doors, but I can confirm that it is better than it was. I was able to listen to the radio at a reasonable volume and my ears aren't ringing after a 5 hour drive, pulling the camper. I think that the aluminum flat bed with headache rack while beautiful, is part of my problem. There isn't anything between the frame rails and there is a pretty large, but thin sheet of diamond plate on the lower half of the rack. I plan to lift the bed and put rubber between the rails and when I do so, either etch and spray the backside of the diamond plate with bedliner or the insulating spray I have, then maybe top coat it for UV protection or attach the butyl that has a black backing. I also need to get up around the firewall in all the big cavities I'm thinking, to reduce the noise from the front tires. Still undecided, but I'd really prefer it be a little more quiet than it currently is.

Thanks for checking in!

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Insulation update-
I haven't gotten to the rear doors, but I can confirm that it is better than it was. I was able to listen to the radio at a reasonable volume and my ears aren't ringing after a 5 hour drive, pulling the camper. I think that the aluminum flat bed with headache rack while beautiful, is part of my problem. There isn't anything between the frame rails and there is a pretty large, but thin sheet of diamond plate on the lower half of the rack. I plan to lift the bed and put rubber between the rails and when I do so, either etch and spray the backside of the diamond plate with bedliner or the insulating spray I have, then maybe top coat it for UV protection or attach the butyl that has a black backing. I also need to get up around the firewall in all the big cavities I'm thinking, to reduce the noise from the front tires. Still undecided, but I'd really prefer it be a little more quiet than it currently is.

Thanks for checking in!
I really like the massive reduction in road noise when having a truck bed Line-X sprayed.

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Rdminter- Interesting- does that hose attach to the tube coming through the firewall or does it come from the bottom of the blower box?

·
Registered
933 Posts
If I remember correctly, it comes from the tube coming through the fire wall. It took me a while to figure out what it was, just some hose hanging down on the passenger side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
And in the spring, just when I start to use my ac. The passenger side floor gets wet. I know it's time to get a coat hanger and dig the dirt dauber nest out of mine. It's a Yukon and I have to do the rear drain too. They plug up both early spring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey fwiw in your post #28 the last picture, that grommet with the big bundle of wires... i had a wet passenger floorboard too and finally traced it to that wire bundle. the water/rain would drip down when parked, and enough would enter the top of that wire bundle under the hood then wick down/through the grommet/drip out onto the floor and under the carpet.

the fix was to very carefully slice a hole through the wire wrap where it bends to go into the grommet and try and space the wires out a little, then I filled the grommet around the wires with dielectric grease (squirt it in there best you can). no more wet floor.

it took a while to figure out where it was coming from - used a hose while i had the seats and carpet out and finally saw the very small drip but it was enough to build up overtime and wick all the way past the seat mounts to the back of the cab, i guess because it really can't dry out. hth

21 - 37 of 37 Posts