Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the woes of the dpf to help clean up emissions, however if and when urea injection is used...what will the negatives be? Less performance mods able to be used? etc etc. I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I read you will have a urea tank that needs to be replenished periodically... which sucks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I read that too, however it made it seem that it's a while before each fill. However does anyone know if there are any negative performance issues due to the urea injection? Or maybe some modifications that cannot be added anymore?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
most likely every 3 to 5 tanks of fuel, you refill the urea tank. aftermarked tuners will have a hard time with all the emissions stuff going on the trucks..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Means ya gotta drink alot of water and it will piss ya off after a while :p

The injection shouldn't have a huge issue with performance add on's it is just going to be ballancing the performance stuff with the emissions stuff. I just hope that the DPF crap goes to hell cause talk about a completely idiotic setup IMO.

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
based off of what i heard ....

the urea is injected into the exhaust system and therefore will not effect performance or mileage ....

just what i heard and i haven't looked into this much ....

·
Registered
655 Posts
How much per mile do you think the costs will be? I would think some tuners would make a "race" version to eliminate this.

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
i would imagine the cost per mile would be minimal.

It's supposed to be set up to where it gets topped off at oil change intervals...

we will see when it is actually available.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I read about this already and from what it says, that it will get sprayed directly into the exhaust and that's about the just of it. But some people say it's going to cost alot per gallon because it is widely used for other things so it's going to drive the price up.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Believe you will get it refilled at oil changes. You can read up w/o much detail at BWM. They have it in their new diesels as does most people these days.

·
Registered
199 Posts
From what I understand, it actually helps performance. Well, not directly, but they have been retarding the timing on these trucks to help reduce nox emmissions, but with the urea injection taking care of that problem, timing can be advanced. I believe that is one of the reasons they are claiming an improvement in both performance and miliage for these new engines.

If I have this all wrong, I hope someone in the know will set the record straight.

·
Registered
914 Posts
DPF will remain, urea is in addition to. Won't need refilling more than every 5-10k or so. MPG shouldn't be affected. It's one more thing that could go wrong but overall not a big deal.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Does anyone know what exactly the "Urea" fluid is? Some kind of ammonia solution (basically piss) is what I could come up with. It also appears to be injected into the exhaust after the DPF is what I read after doing a brief search on google. If I am wrong please redirect me, after all I did get my info online so it HAS to be correct. Basically it is more BS IMO! Just like the coffee cans they put on the cars in the 80's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The body does produce Urea but plans also produce it too. From what i have been reading they already use this in England and France I think it was, but they claim that using this with the dpf that it will ruduce the sut to almost nothing out of the exhaust. I found all this info off of google, typed in "Urea tanks on diesel trucks" and got all the info

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also if you ever look at the dodge diesels you will see a tag on the tailgait that says Blue Tec. Dodge already makes there truck ready to run that eventough it don't have to be started Jan. 1 2010. So it on the way for us too!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Also if you ever look at the dodge diesels you will see a tag on the tailgait that says Blue Tec. Dodge already makes there truck ready to run that eventough it don't have to be started Jan. 1 2010. So it on the way for us too!!

It's my understanding that Dodge/Cummins won't need to go the urea route. What technology are they using that's superior to GM?

·
Registered
151 Posts
They will have to go the Urea route, but form what i read that dodge is the leader over in Europe in getting all there vehicals smog ready.

·
Registered
221 Posts
a while ago i read of a manufacture (for the life of me i can't remember who) was not going to use the urea. They met the emissions without it. I do remember that they were only using small engines (like for cars).

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that it was Dodge and that the Cummin's didn't need urea.

Depending on the amount of urea needed, it may or may not be expensive. My family owns a lawn spraying business and we use a lot of urea as a fertilizer. It is relatively inexpensive, but the prices have been growing substantially lately (doubling in the past year or two). The introduction of urea injection will have an impact on the overall price of urea, which will affect the prices of products and services that may seem unrelated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts