Diesel Place banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, it does not lock the TC. If it were to lock, the engine would cease to run very quickly.
Okay, so they lock a gear clutch and force the clutch to slip.

"Engage TCC" and "Lock TCC" was mis-written on the source I had read.

In any case, they force there to be slip in the Torque Converter to generate heat.

·
Registered
591 Posts
sleep in my crewcab in lake tahoe, actually had a great nights sleep, although I puked out the window in the morning:D
Perhaps a better looking room mate would cure your morning problems??
Or start waking up while it's still dark??

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had to sleep in my truck during the summer, it was so hot that I had to sleep with the truck running and AC on. I don't know about anyone else but the back seat of a crew cab isn't the most comfortable.

I only sleep on there during long drives when I'm too tired to keep going, but I get a great afternoon's sleep. The idling truck puts me right out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I know guys this is a little off topic, and my truck does not have the famed leaky lines, but what did was go into my tune with EFI and raise the min elevated idle ect temp to 45 F and now it will idle for about 5 mins and then go to the elevated idle. I did this for another reason but it worked!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Excessive idling is not ideal for today's diesel engines and many heavy duty mfgs have idle thresholds which if exceded, is grounds for warranty denial.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My manual says letting it idle in DRIVE will cause overheating. Didn't say anything about idling in PARK. (2003 GMC Duramax/Allison.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
From what I've heard contrary to popular belief, its not good on diesel motors to idle for long periods of time. What happens is that after idling for a while, 45 minutes or more, the combustion temps inside the cylinders start to drop which keeps all of the full from burning completly. This umburnt fuel then starts to wash off some of the oil along cylinder walls which is obviously not good for rings etc. I believe it even states in the user manual to not let the vehicle idle for more than 30 mins or so. The transmission is a different story. Look into getting it reflashed. Truckers up north leave their motors running because they have to. Those big motors are alot harder to start than a dmax in really cold weather. I'd say bottom line is cold is not good for any motor. Keep them plugged up or in a garage as much as possible when the temps go -.

·
Registered
729 Posts
^^right and when the temps drop, so does combustion chamber pressure. That pressure is what keeps the rings sealing. Without that pressure soot build up in the ring lands and more blow by is allowed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My manual says letting it idle in DRIVE will cause overheating. Didn't say anything about idling in PARK. (2003 GMC Duramax/Allison.)
When in drive and idling, you have your idle RPM of slip in the torque converter. The hydraulic slip causes heat to build up in your transmission. (This is also responsible for the fast warm up in High idle in the newer ones). In the summer, yeah, you could probably over heat it if you don't watch your gauge.

Here in MN when it's -19f....I have a digital trans temp gauge, and I can watch my trans temp drop at a stop light when I'm idling in gear, so I'm not worried about idling in gear here.

Creeping really slow at 5mph or stopped in traffic in 100 degree's though....I can watch my trans temp gauge climb fast.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.