Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My lines have been replaced and I'm from Minnesota, so I am aware of the problem. The problem is not idling in the cold weather. The problem is starting a VERY cold engine and letting letting it sit with the High Idle turned on while ALL the fluid is cold. The leak is from the fluid in the cooler lines being thick, raising pressure, and leaking by the seals.

To accelerate warming, the computer locks the torque converter and kicks the idle up to 1000+. The "damage" to the tranny comes when the fluid that gets heated quickly with hydraulic resistance in the converter and it's now warm and too thin to push out the "jello" in the cooler lines. The fluid is now churning and overheats.

As I understand it, the converter is never empty, even when you drain your tranny, which is mostly why you only drain half the fluid when you change the filter and pull the drain plug.

You will only do damage if the fluid is too cold to pump. If everything is warm already, or at least zero or higher, then there will be no risk of damage to the tranny as the fluid is thin enough to be moved through the cooling system.

People will probably point out that your biggest risk with excessive cold weather idling is washing the oil off the cylinder walls with diesel, but I don't think 6 hours once will do that.

I'm not a mechanic, so take my opinion for what you paid for it.
Good explanation. Makes Synthetic ATF even more important!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
lol yes beer and compnay are always great. cant remember the last time i did it alone, and sober

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
isnt there a mod to do to make the front deat tilt all the way back?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
My lines have been replaced and I'm from Minnesota, so I am aware of the problem. The problem is not idling in the cold weather. The problem is starting a VERY cold engine and letting letting it sit with the High Idle turned on while ALL the fluid is cold. The leak is from the fluid in the cooler lines being thick, raising pressure, and leaking by the seals.

To accelerate warming, the computer locks the torque converter and kicks the idle up to 1000+. The "damage" to the tranny comes when the fluid that gets heated quickly with hydraulic resistance in the converter and it's now warm and too thin to push out the "jello" in the cooler lines. The fluid is now churning and overheats.

As I understand it, the converter is never empty, even when you drain your tranny, which is mostly why you only drain half the fluid when you change the filter and pull the drain plug.

You will only do damage if the fluid is too cold to pump. If everything is warm already, or at least zero or higher, then there will be no risk of damage to the tranny as the fluid is thin enough to be moved through the cooling system.

People will probably point out that your biggest risk with excessive cold weather idling is washing the oil off the cylinder walls with diesel, but I don't think 6 hours once will do that.

I'm not a mechanic, so take my opinion for what you paid for it.
No, it does not lock the TC. If it were to lock, the engine would cease to run very quickly.

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
nope, clearly a LLY, clearly leaking. not bad, but leaking

·
Registered
700 Posts
Maybe you should clearly put LLY in your sig LOL :)

My bad for assuming. :eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
an 8' bed makes a nice spot to crash.... weather permitting...

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
an 8' bed makes a nice spot to crash.... weather permitting...

i have been wanting to test this theory out with my new cabelas sleeping bag, i would think with the indentations in the bed that it would be a bit uncomfortable

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Maybe you should clearly put LLY in your sig LOL :)

My bad for assuming. :eek:
lol i ment clearly as in i checked. not as in it was clearly posted and u didnt see

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i have been wanting to test this theory out with my new cabelas sleeping bag, i would think with the indentations in the bed that it would be a bit uncomfortable
"Bedrug" takes care of those indentations and makes a nice liner. See bedrug.com .

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
lol my stacks would make a nice warm pillow if left running

·
Registered
124 Posts
Myth? Check this. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202078

It is rumored that cold weather idling will cause leaks to the transmission lines. Severe cold weather, plus high idle mode have caused empty torqure converters to burn up in the trans. (because fluid is too viscous to fill them) Search lines leaking or high idle cold
i'm sorry i didn't sort threw all 51 pages, so i might have missed this. but the recall/ computer update was done to not let the engine go to high idle untill the trans fluid was warmer slightly due to " extensive cold soak".

basically the problem with too high pressure/ pump starvation was due to the fluid being to thick to turn added rpm after sitting for an extended period of time without being ran. i think once she's up and going it's fine.

here is what i got from chev... is this the concern? http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122897

stickboy coverd it great too.... but as my link shows... be carefull with an aftermarket heater too cause ALL the fluid might not be heated. after my comp update my truck can run up to 10 minutes before the elevated idle will come up... guess thats the new norm?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
i'm sorry i didn't sort threw all 51 pages, so i might have missed this. but the recall/ computer update was done to not let the engine go to high idle untill the trans fluid was warmer slightly due to " extensive cold soak".

basically the problem with too high pressure/ pump starvation was due to the fluid being to thick to turn added rpm after sitting for an extended period of time without being ran. i think once she's up and going it's fine.

here is what i got from chev... is this the concern? http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122897

stickboy coverd it great too.... but as my link shows... be carefull with an aftermarket heater too cause ALL the fluid might not be heated. after my comp update my truck can run up to 10 minutes before the elevated idle will come up... guess thats the new norm?
i had my trans replaced removed and reinstalled at a GM shop in aug, what are the olds of it being done? mine only takes a min for the high idle to kick in, but i guess it hasnt been any colder then -10C here yet

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

I have noticed my van high idle doesn't kick in right away, waits a couple minutes, not 10 but a couple. haven't noticed the truck in a while.

I keep a self-inflating matteres pad in the back seat, and in the winter a 0 degree sleeping bag. pretty comfy and plenty warm, i've crawled in that bag and overslept a few times. got delayed on a trip with the wife and 3 dogs once last winter. couldnt find a hotel that would take dogs. that was a bit cramped

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have noticed my van high idle doesn't kick in right away, waits a couple minutes, not 10 but a couple. haven't noticed the truck in a while.

I keep a self-inflating matteres pad in the back seat, and in the winter a 0 degree sleeping bag. pretty comfy and plenty warm, i've crawled in that bag and overslept a few times. got delayed on a trip with the wife and 3 dogs once last winter. couldnt find a hotel that would take dogs. that was a bit cramped
lol good times

·
Registered
475 Posts

Yup, you found it. Main reason I posted about that was because most of the high idle, torque converter burn ups I saw were in Canada where it gets real cold like countryredneck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i blew my trans 150kms after letting it high idle for 7ish hours in -43c winds. but it was already warm so the fluid shouldnt have been thick?

·
Registered
700 Posts
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.