Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last nite i headed up north and got to a small town that i had to fly out of early in the morning. there was nowhere to stay with the hour i got into town at so i had to sleep in my truck. it was a little chillin out, -8 C so i let her idle for about 6 hours. can any damage come of this if done to much? :eek:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Only damage to your wallet :D. this has come up before, its a diesel. i know guys way up north that only trun there trucks off to change the oil in a 7 month time period. they run day and night. come winter mine runs more then i drive it. wont hurt it at all.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
sleep in my crewcab in lake tahoe, actually had a great nights sleep, although I puked out the window in the morning:D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i figured. im heard stories about trans damage from this, myth?

·
Registered
573 Posts
ive never heard of any trans damage for lettin her idle.. just keep everything nice and warm .

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya, i figured it was jus a myth. but then last winter i let it run for 9 hours due to cold and nowhere to plug in. i 6 days and 300 miles later the trans went. i was willing to blame it on anythning other then my right foot lol. so after letting it run that time i was a bit scared to last nite

·
Registered
475 Posts
Myth? Check this. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202078

It is rumored that cold weather idling will cause leaks to the transmission lines. Severe cold weather, plus high idle mode have caused empty torqure converters to burn up in the trans. (because fluid is too viscous to fill them) Search lines leaking or high idle cold

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
sleep in my crewcab in lake tahoe, actually had a great nights sleep, although I puked out the window in the morning
-:t:beerchug: BEEN THERE DONE THAT

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I had to sleep in my truck during the summer, it was so hot that I had to sleep with the truck running and AC on. I don't know about anyone else but the back seat of a crew cab isn't the most comfortable.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Its Not Too Bad When You Have Some Company...;)

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
You don't have a LMM - I think that's the only truck that would have a problem with excessive idling... because of the DPF; and it's not LMM specific, anything DPF wise would help it to soot up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Crew cabs arn't that bad. Mine acted as a bed a few times. Either because of the beer or the beer. They are alot better with company

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
:exactly:
Crew cabs arn't that bad. Mine acted as a bed a few times. Either because of the beer or the beer. They are alot better with company

·
Registered
135 Posts
It is rumored that cold weather idling will cause leaks to the transmission lines. Severe cold weather, plus high idle mode have caused empty torqure converters to burn up in the trans. (because fluid is too viscous to fill them) Search lines leaking or high idle cold
My lines have been replaced and I'm from Minnesota, so I am aware of the problem. The problem is not idling in the cold weather. The problem is starting a VERY cold engine and letting letting it sit with the High Idle turned on while ALL the fluid is cold. The leak is from the fluid in the cooler lines being thick, raising pressure, and leaking by the seals.

To accelerate warming, the computer locks the torque converter and kicks the idle up to 1000+. The "damage" to the tranny comes when the fluid that gets heated quickly with hydraulic resistance in the converter and it's now warm and too thin to push out the "jello" in the cooler lines. The fluid is now churning and overheats.

As I understand it, the converter is never empty, even when you drain your tranny, which is mostly why you only drain half the fluid when you change the filter and pull the drain plug.

You will only do damage if the fluid is too cold to pump. If everything is warm already, or at least zero or higher, then there will be no risk of damage to the tranny as the fluid is thin enough to be moved through the cooling system.

People will probably point out that your biggest risk with excessive cold weather idling is washing the oil off the cylinder walls with diesel, but I don't think 6 hours once will do that.

I'm not a mechanic, so take my opinion for what you paid for it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The more it idles the more it soots everything up as well. Thats part of what causes the egr valves and turbos to stick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had th egr valve stick after idling mine last winter.

On a second note, Seven Sisters Manitoba? / River Hills, Wow my family is from the area, Clive Schultz Russel Klappert and so on.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My lines have been replaced and I'm from Minnesota, so I am aware of the problem. The problem is not idling in the cold weather. The problem is starting a VERY cold engine and letting letting it sit with the High Idle turned on while ALL the fluid is cold. The leak is from the fluid in the cooler lines being thick, raising pressure, and leaking by the seals.

To accelerate warming, the computer locks the torque converter and kicks the idle up to 1000+. The "damage" to the tranny comes when the fluid that gets heated quickly with hydraulic resistance in the converter and it's now warm and too thin to push out the "jello" in the cooler lines. The fluid is now churning and overheats.

As I understand it, the converter is never empty, even when you drain your tranny, which is mostly why you only drain half the fluid when you change the filter and pull the drain plug.

You will only do damage if the fluid is too cold to pump. If everything is warm already, or at least zero or higher, then there will be no risk of damage to the tranny as the fluid is thin enough to be moved through the cooling system.

People will probably point out that your biggest risk with excessive cold weather idling is washing the oil off the cylinder walls with diesel, but I don't think 6 hours once will do that.

I'm not a mechanic, so take my opinion for what you paid for it.
thats the best way i have ever heard that explained. thank you!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.