Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, stupid is as stupid does.

Ive read bout power steering pump failures for almost a year now. I never ever had one fail plowing. Till saturday, when the snow, and snow drifts are Azzhole deep to a giraffe. Customer shoveled 3 feet in front of their garage so I could backblade better!!!!. I guess they didnt realize that the pile of snow they "made" was taller than my truck. So I started edging at it and sweeping it off to the right of the drive. I take a pass grab a bit more snow than I wanted, Wheel is turned full lock...heavy on the throttle. Snap, didnt even make a sound....no power steering, no brakes. Instant anger.

Doomed from the start even before it snowed, plow problems on both trucks, then a truck down. Cant plow driveways too good with our commercial lot truck(dually cab chassis 9ft plow).

I bought some rebuilt pos-ps pump, Sunday am. Service Manager installed back on road in 2.5 hrs.

Go to dealership, and buy a power steering pump with a Resevoir. Go out and buy a power steering pump pulley puller, and wait for the most unoppuritune time for this to happen. It will.

I got my spare, and save the aggrivation of swapping resevoir, and spend the extra bucks, with the res. all you have to do is install, put pulley on and your in business.

DONT MAKE MY MISTAKE.

Bill I HATE MOTHER F-IN SNOW

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Not sure why anybody would be greatful that someone else is dead, but your signature is lame and rude. And its Grateful Dead you simpleton!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gradyghost said:
Not sure why anybody would be greatful that someone else is dead, but your signature is lame and rude. And its Grateful Dead you simpleton!

Geez I think maybe "explain your sig" might have been a little easier on Bill a fellow Dmax owner IMHO
peace Y. Have a good day Gradyghost if you can after that injector news on your truck good luck.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
nobull1,

Whatever!

Nice jab on the injectors.

Oh yea and you to have a great day!

On Edit: Do you want me to apologize?

Edited by: Gradyghost

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Gradyghost said:
nobull1,

Whatever!

Easy Mike I think your just misinterpreting nubull .... I believe he's saying, it must be a hard time to have a good day after hearing bad news about your truck ... True as I would be a bit cross myself dealing with that ...

CheavyHD well he's just still wet behind the ears .....

Take care big guy ,,,,

Mac

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
tell us how you really feel about the snow........chevyhdman?.......and whose the schmck

·
Registered
62 Posts
OoooooKayyyyyy!

Back to the topic of busted pumps!

I know that the gassers had this problem all the way back from 1999! And some didn't even have the extra load of the hydro-boost breaking!

GM isn't still using that weak-azz pump shaft are they? And if they are, they aren't using it on the DMax, ARE THEY!?!?!?!?!?!?

I haven't seen a broken pump shaft for many years now, that is why I ask if GM is still using the weak units.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it happens to all of them, 6.0 8.1 6.6. The shaft is pretty thick, but for some reason really narrows down to half its circumfrence. It snapped right in the middle of the thin spot of the shaft. My personal friend, whom is also a service manager did the R&R Sunday AM. This was on our 2001 6.0, I should have specified, but is an issue Ive read with the Dmax now for a year, usually happens when your really fighting the wheel(like stuck in ruts trying to get out) Replacing the resevior was wasted time, as for the few extra bucks you dont swap over anything to the new pump, just the pulley. GM sells it that way if you order it setup like that. The 6.0 has alot more room to work on stuff, We had to pull the top radiator shroud to put the pulley back on as you can acess the bolts to bolt it down with it on, made that mistake.

As for you Grady Ghost, I probably am A "simpleton" Of course I think that tie dye wearing, VW bus driving, pot smoking, acid taking, liberal hippy, pole smoking,smelly bums, Greatful, Grateful, whatever the heck it is Crateful Dead fans are the "higher eschilon" of society. Listening to the singer of a band drabble on his lyrics because hes so drugged up he cant remember the words. It was meant as a joke, but whatever.

Bill

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mackin said:
Gradyghost said:
nobull1,

Whatever!

Easy Mike I think your just misinterpreting nubull .... I believe he's saying, it must be a hard time to have a good day after hearing bad news about your truck ... True as I would be a bit cross myself dealing with that ...

CheavyHD well he's just still wet behind the ears .....

Take care big guy ,,,,

Mac
You are correct Mac poor choice of words on my part no insult intended, sorry Gradyghost.When someone like yourself has a injector problem and a dealer that does not want to fix it under warranty we all feel the pain.IT SUCKS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts