Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be plowing snow next year with my 01.....have western on my 95 dodge.....seen the blizzard plow....which plow is best ?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I use THE BOSS here this is my second one and I love it bought the V this time had super duty straight loved it sold it to a buddy after three years of use and now he has it on his 06 chevy cc lly mine is on a 06 chevy cc lbz. BOSS is one of the easiest to hook up by yourself some of the westerns take two people, still a good plow but better have help! Cousin has a Blizzard and he cant keep the hydro. from leaking. just my 2-cents

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have used Western plows since 1978. The new straight blade pro poly plows take less than a minute to hook up. Get a set of Timbrens to help with the weight. Do not get a blade less than 8' or snow may scratch your body paint when at full angle. If you go with Western get the hand held control and the poly blade. If you have a dually get a 8.5' blade. Plan to put around $4000 in a good blade. There are some brands selling for under $3000. See what brands the landscape guys are using in your area. You will need very little dealer support unless you beat up the plow. About the only brands sold around here are Western and a few Meyers. Boss looks to be a good plow but other than pictures I have never seen one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd personally get a Boss, reason being they dont move back and fourth when traveling. All the big plow manufactures are good, its all about DEALER SUPPORT!!!!!

It doesnt matter what kind of plow you get if you have a crappy dealer, buy what ever plow has the best dealer, IMO

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I looked in to Blizzard plows when I got my last truck. It seamed like a nice plow but their distribution and sales would rule it out for me ever getting one. The only dealer I could find here in NJ was a rinking dink lawn mower shop that didn't even have a garage big enough to pull truck inside. I was there in November and they said all plows are built and sold for the year and if i wanted one I would have to had to order it in May. This may be fine and dandy for some one that doesn't rely on plowing income. What happen if your plow get whacked in an accident or stolen. Sorry your out of business till may doesn't cut it. My western dealer is open 24 hour if it is snowing and you can get part in all most every auto part store. Service is the most important thing you can have when you have to get job done by 8 am and you break down and need a part at 1 am.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I am on my 2nd season with a Blizzard and it's been nothing but good. It moves more snow in less time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
www.plowsite.com

Fisher is what I use. I have a 9' X-Blade Stainless with the fishstik handheld controller....an awesome plow!
This is my first personal plow (im 19) but my family has always had fishers. The ony problem we had was in 99 I think...the paint was peeling off a new 8' fisher and they took it back as part of a recall and gave us a new one :)

drop me a pm with any questions!

...this is almost as bad as asking which truck ford/dodge/gm....we all have our brand

all I really see up here is Fisher as it is fisher territory. I looked heavily at boss but I didnt like how the truck side mounts were low compared to a fisher and the fisher just seemed better built overall...plus the stainless steel matchs my silver truck and sander :-D

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Fisher and Western are one company now the pumps are the same Fishers have the trip edge and weatern the whole blade trips.
I bet there one thing 90 % of all plowers can agree on is that Meyers is 100% crap.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I am on my 2nd season with a Blizzard and it's been nothing but good. It moves more snow in less time.
What do you do if some one steals your plow? With Western and Fisher I can get buy new plow set up and be plowing in 5 mins. I didn't say Blizzards where bad plows their Distribution sucks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hate to break it to you guys buy General Dynamics makes the pumps for Western and Fisher and Western bought Blizzard out last fall.Go to plowsite.com for more info.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hate to break it to you guys buy General Dynamics makes the pumps for Western and Fisher and Western bought Blizzard out last fall.Go to plowsite.com for more info.
No, it was Douglas Dynamics. General Dynamics makes Tanks. Douglas Dynamics makes plows.

But your right, plowsite.com has more info on this.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Then maybe they will get decent of dealer and distribution network behind them.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Careful, as a dealer I didn't like the "manufacture" running out of plows but how dose one predict the rapid growth Blizzard had, so much so DD had to buy them out while they still had the cash, Bliz took a big bite out of their sales around my area. I sell Boss, Western, Hiniker and Blizzard and sell Blizzard 5 or 6 to 1 of all the others. Oh, I stock a "loaner" plow just for that reason, if its warranty its free, out of warranty its $20.00 per hour. Its all about the dealer. Jm2c

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love my blizzard 810. If I ever get another plow, it will definately be a blizzard. I actually drove 2.5 hours in order to get the plow because that was the nearest major dealer. My brother and I installed the plow ourselves and we haven't had any problems with it yet(other than fighting about who drives which truck). I don't like not having a nearby dealer, but we have a second plow truck and i'm willing to take the risk for this awesome plow. If I did it again, I would actually get an 8611 low pro because they aren't much heavier, but they weren't available when I got my 810.

I was worried about the weight of the plow with my crew cab truck, but with timbrens, cranked bars, and most importantly ballast the truck holds the plow well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I havent tried the blizzard yet,we ripped all the yellow junk off the trucks in 94 and went to all westerns,only had 1 pump problem with 25 contractors running westerns in 11 years.I think blizzard has a nicly built plow, but the dealer in my area is a BS artist and we just dont trust him.How does the 3500 front end hold up to all of the weight of the blizzard? What is the front axle capacity of the 2500 hd and the 3500?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, I'll give a report as soon as we get some snow again :rolleyes: . I bought a new CC HD truck a week ago and figuired I'd try the Blizzard. I was using a Boss 8' Super Duty Straight Blade, but a friend of mines dad was selling his 03 Blizzard 810, so I figuired I'd try it. Selling my 03 Boss Plow :) everything needed to mount to 2500HD. PM me if interested, I'm in MN...or with any questions on the differences.
I admit I'm concerned if I made the right choice, as I really liked the Boss...

·
Registered
266 Posts
What is the front axle capacity of the 2500 hd and the 3500?
I don't think their is a difference in the 2500hd and 3500 front axle capacities.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
What is the front axle capacity of the 2500 hd and the 3500?
Here is the info from GM's website.

2500HD - - - - - - - - - - - - - Reg Cab - Ext Cab - Crew Cab
Front Axle Capacity (LBS): - - - 4800 - - - 4800 - - - 4800
Front Spring Capacity (2WD): .- 4500 - - - 4500 - - - 4500
Front Spring Capacity (4WD): .- 4500 - - - 4800 - - - 4800
Rear Axle Capacity (LBS): -- - - 6900 - - - 6900 - - - 6900
Rear Spring Capacity (LBS): .- - 6084 - - - 6084 - - - 6084

3500 .- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Reg Cab - Ext Cab - Crew Cab
Front Axle Capacity (LBS): - - - 4800 - - - 4800 - - - 4800
Front Spring Capacity (LBS): . - 4800 - - - 4800 - - - 4800
(with single rear wheels)

Front Spring Capacity (LBS): . - 4500 - - - 4800 - - - 4800
(with dual rear wheels)

Rear Axle Capacity (LBS): .- - - 9200 - - - 9200 - - - 9200

Rear Spring Capacity (LBS): - - 6500 - - - 6500 - - - 6500
(with single rear wheels)

Rear Spring Capacity (LBS): - - 8600 - - - 8600 - - - 8600
(with dual rear wheels)

From GoodYear:
Tire Load Capacity @ 80 psi
LT245/75R16E (LBS): 3,042 each tire
LT265/75R16E (LBS): 3,415 each tire (single wheels)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts