Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody who plows commercially knows that the tranny takes alot of abuse.

When I get My S.C. 4, Does the torque convertor or tranny have to have anything special done to hold reverse better? Is reverse even a problem?

I see alot of plows in the members garage's, and was just wondering if they are running a different set-up as opposed to the Cali guys who just put the power to the strip?

Thanks for the Info!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Stock she will hold fine.....a stage 4......you will be golden:ro) . Plow in TH mode to get the converter to lock sooner(if you do commercial stuff and get moving fast enoug) and also to ride out the gears a bit more. Will keep the trans much cooler. Other than that, :grd: and dont worry bout it. If my dragracing and plowing(large commercial, agressive plowing, fisher 9.5 ezv) didnt kill my stage 5 I dont think you will have an issue

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response!

I always plow in level 1 on the J.A. with the O.D. and T.H light lit on the dash.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
With the juice and a stock truck I turned it off ussualy and plowed/transported in Drive with OD on and in TH. Sometimes took it outa TH if the roads were real nasty for fear of rear end breaking traction on decell but I never actually had that happen. With the Etreme and the stage 5 I ran in 80HP mode and the same(OD on TH on)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just had the ATS Stage III and the 5 star converter installed this past weekend. I noticed that there's more TQ at idle now that when it was stock.
I've brought the idle down to 625 and she still pulls hard in D, Reverse! How about this, Backing out the driveway, brake on, truck stopped, a little ice on pavement, I could see the rear wheels slowly spinning at idle as the wife is waiting to pull into the street.
So the Converter is putting the power to the wheels.
I'll see how it is for plowing when we get our next good snow fall.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
With Stage IV, you'll be fine. The stock tranny takes a good beating from snow plowing excessive amounts, but anything built is fine.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
60k on the 01 before the SC plus towing both trailers, never plowed in T/H, always tow in T/H, deep pan, syn fluid. Love the extra from the SC IV!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts