Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't wait any longer and had to start doing some mods to the Blazer and what good is a simple description without pics, right?

Here i removed the snorkel from the fender and permanently "borrowed" the upper plenim off my 95. (i'm selling it anyways).

Feel free to use the snorkel pics and such in a "how to thread" if you like.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more pic to add as it wouldn't fit in the previous post. This one is looking from the front of the snorkel to show how restricted these things really are.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also blocked of the EGR, sorry no pics (DOH!!! on my part).

All i did was used two EGR gaskets and sandwiched between them a very thin piece of sheet metal cut the same size as the EGR gaskets with the bolt holes, maybe my EGR codes will go away now.... lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the great picks!!!!

I dug into mine today too, to thread a new battery cable to the starter and ECM. Thought I would go ahead and dig out the snorkle, but there was none. I have a friend lined up to mill the upper intake as soon as I get the battery cable problem solved. Yours looks a little greasier from the PCV than mine did. I previously pulled the upper intake to clean it and had about 1/8-1/4 soot cake, not close to being blocked like some other I'v seen.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Another winner thread....goes now into the hall of fame for the FAQ's....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
CR,

Please tell me that while you had that battery out you cleaned that GROUND up behind that battery!? ;)

Welcome to the 94' club!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Um.... no i didn't, it looked fairly clean to me, i should have taken the 2 minutes to check it also. All the battery connections were the cleanest of any i've seen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are you taking the snorkel out and gutting it out, putting it back in? How did you gut out the web casting like that? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a cutting bit in my Dremel, WARNING! Safety glasses required for that operation and some damn steady hands, the dremel tends to like to go where it wants while cutting aluminium! (that was the old one from my 95, i just swapped them out so i woudn't have to cut a second one)

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next to nothing for blowby Tex, see the last 2 pics above. There was about a 2" split behind the clamp on the turbo, it was sucking alot of underhood air and allowing the CDR oil residue to leak out the bottom when it was shut down. Since adding my hose from the 95 she's clean. Turbo compressor wheel is tight too!

·
Registered
136 Posts
you used the dremel on the web casting or the snorkel...or both?...this looks like a good idea! Thanks. :cool2:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
used it on the web castin in the snorkel to remove the excess aluminium.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe i wasn't clear enough, i'll speak more slowly......

IIIIII........ussssseeeedddd.......aaaaa........Dreeeeemmmmmellllll.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Might help if I take my snorkel out and look at it. I am confused between the snorkel and the plenim. From the pictures, they look like two different things. ssssooooorrryyyy.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are 2 different things, my mistake i see in my posts. Snorkel is in the fender, plenim is on the intake, also called the upper intake.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
What purpose does the snorkel serve in its stock position? If the answer is 'nothing' then I think my snorkel is going to be removed tonight!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMO it is there to restrict the air flow into the engine....lol. Actually because its connected to the air box i would assume they thought it would help pull the air from the front of the grill area as there's also a redirector for air flow under the passenger side battery to drive air from the grill area, only real problem with the design as i see it is it was just to darn small.
Notice the above pic where a bic lighter is large enough to plug it off.

Newer trucks didn't have it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow:eek: I will pull that snorkel off of both my trucks ASAP! So after all screws are removed, just pull and twist, say a few magic 4-letter words and its off? What is your favorite dremmel bit?:lol: Did you just use the dremmel for the whole operation, or did you have a buddy machine out some material first? The webbing is probably just flashing, right? Sorry for all the questions but those mods sound very good and cheap. I am sitting here at Kettering studying for finals, all 4th year mechanical engineering classes, and the diesel truck is sitting at home. I am driving my gasser this week.

BTW, Nice post!!:ro)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts