Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Diesel Technician, Formerly Black Demon
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any got a "smoke switch" on there truck? was reading a thread on here and it seems to work on LLY or LBZ but bot to sure on LB7...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Kinda curious about this too

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most people think its a bad idea or stupid so they wont post on this topic but it was worth a shot...from my research it will "work" on LB7 but not to the extent of a LLY or LBZ cuz they have a VVT which the computer controls the pitch of the vains...so all the switch does is makes the computer think its got lots of boost and over fuels...seeing how LB7 is fixed vains and boost is controlled by fuel, it should work but once it starts to over fuel it will make boost eventually faster then the VVT motors

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well if you do it, post me a little tutorial

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i might do some testing on mjy truck and my friends lb7 thats more stock than mine and see if the results vary at all or if its worth the time and small amount of money...i meann all it is, is a switch and a wire to 5v and ground on map sensor....just had crappy weather here lately so haven't had chance to play with it

·
LT. Dan
6,816 Posts
ive read that thread and from what i remember you need a lift pump if your going to be using it often. if not it can overload your injection pump and cause some damage.

i would be interested in having one so i can smoke out a rice grinder every once in a while.
im not savy enough to just start tearing into the truck and making a system from scratch..

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yeah keep us posted im interested myself. I'm glad that someone finally started a thread about I was going to a while back but decided not to lol for the same reason stated above.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
A smoke switch wouldn't be very effective on an LB7. Even with all of the limiters removed from mine with EFILIVE and full fueling at any RPM when I mashed the pedal, it would still only smoke for a few seconds before the boost comes in and clears it up. This is with a lift pump as well. The LLY, LBZ, and LMM can have a smoke switch since they have a variable turbo and can kill the boost completely and command full fueling easily with just a switch.

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i have a lift pump with ppe 425 and can roll lots of smoke around 50 (low end of 5th) but only for like 10 seconds tops...the only way i can think to do it is on board air with a tee plumbed into wastegate line and solenoid to let air into boost line to open wastegate as to not make boost at all and just over fuel it...this however means u need onboard air source and some engineering which wouldn't be that hard...i have most of the pieces including the solenoid from my flame kit(thats where i got the idea)....so all u would do is:hit a switch, air pumps into boost line, opens wastegate and mash pedal no boost+over fueling=smoke....then release switch and solenoid closes, cutting off air, wastegate closes, normal driving again....i may have to try this,lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
caught my intrest.

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know a adjustable bov would look more professional too, just last time i looked BD Diesel made one that was $1,800 kind of pricey for some smoke...thats why i'm trying to figure out a cheaper option

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Someone has to say it so might as well be me. Making smoke is just plain dumb. Not only does it give our diesel trucks a bad name, it's illigel, will get you a ticket, is hard on your truck, and make it more difficult for all of us to get our sport accepted by the general public. If you must make smoke do it on the drag strip or pulling track and not on the street. I turn in every idiot I see intentially smoking someone one out or doing burn outs. What exactly are you trying to prove other than you have a single digit IQ by making a bunch of smoke?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I can agree with you 50% subman but the other 50% of me will not agree with you simply because its fun to do but just not all the time. Most of us on here probably have legiment reasons for smoking people out. Like for instance tailgaters not everybody drives fast not everybody drives slow now when some butthead rides my tail I myself smoke'em because I dont want to have to buy a new bumper when they rear-end me. Now you cant sit there and tell us not to smoke people out when all the videos Ive seen of your truck on youtube are pretty darn smokey. Infact look at your avatar look at all that smoke? I bet sometimes if you ever drive that truck on the street thats if its street legal (not a trailer queen) that you get the urge to blow some smoke and dont lie? You do don't ya? Now for turning other people in thats just wrong a little smoke never hurt anybody. If your gonna turn them in you may as well turn your self in to cause your just a guilty blowing smoke at the dragstrip as we are blowing smoke on the road aint no different. If your gonna lecture us about smoking on the street clean yours up at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I can agree with you 50% subman but the other 50% of me will not agree with you simply because its fun to do but just not all the time. Most of us on here probably have legiment reasons for smoking people out. Like for instance tailgaters not everybody drives fast not everybody drives slow now when some butthead rides my tail I myself smoke'em because I dont want to have to buy a new bumper when they rear-end me. Now you cant sit there and tell us not to smoke people out when all the videos Ive seen of your truck on youtube are pretty darn smokey. Infact look at your avatar look at all that smoke? I bet sometimes if you ever drive that truck on the street thats if its street legal (not a trailer queen) that you get the urge to blow some smoke and dont lie? You do don't ya? Now for turning other people in thats just wrong a little smoke never hurt anybody. If your gonna turn them in you may as well turn your self in to cause your just a guilty blowing smoke at the dragstrip as we are blowing smoke on the road aint no different. If your gonna lecture us about smoking on the street clean yours up at the dragstrip.
If you read my post I said if you have to smoke do it on the drag strip or pulling track, not the street, yes Max'd Out will smoke when your on the line, it has massive injectors and huge turbos and it take a bit to light them. If it smokes going down the track then something is wrong with it. It is street legal but no fun to drive on the street at all with the race seats, roll cage, suspension and spool in the rearend. It is a trailer queen. I run a 550 hp tune in my daily driver and if you get on it quick it will throw a little puff but not much. I can tune it to not smoke at all. I don't intentially smoke anyone out, there is no legiment reason to smoke anyone out period. Yes I get pissed at tail gaters but I don't smoke them out, if I step on my truck it takes off not smoke. A little smoke doesn't hurt anyone you say, which one of they guys who wants smoke tunes is content with a little smoke? What I want to see end is these guys smoking out intersections and acting like idiots in parking lots at these diesel events. It's killing our sport. They are no better than those idiot ricers they love to smoke out.

If you want to call this a lecture then fine call it a lecture, someone has to get across to these guys that running a smokey truck is not cool. End of Lecture.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Well I can see where your coming from about killing the sport especially the burnouts thats just stupid to me i'm not big on the burouts. The way
I see it now that you said that is most of these people are going to the tractor pull or dragstrip and they see us spooling up and think hey thats cool lets do that when the event is over and then what do you know the whole parking lot is full of smoke. I catch your drift on that. But I'll be honest I like to blow smoke not all the time only on certain occasions lol

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Also good point on the ricers lol I hate those stupid little things. They sound like ticked off bumble bee's running around

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Well I can see where your coming from about killing the sport especially the burnouts thats just stupid to me i'm not big on the burouts. The way
I see it now that you said that is most of these people are going to the tractor pull or dragstrip and they see us spooling up and think hey thats cool lets do that when the event is over and then what do you know the whole parking lot is full of smoke. I catch your drift on that. But I'll be honest I like to blow smoke not all the time only on certain occasions lol
You hit it right on the head, and I don't know what to do about it. I'd like to see them get on the track in a sportman bracket race to try their hand at pulling the sled in a novice class, but most just won't. I don't have the answer. We need to find one though that is for sure.

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
end nothing...i started this thread to see if anyone made one cuz i know if i make one(which takes more than a single digital iq)i could probably sell it...and heres the thing u can complain all u want but the fact is not everyone is on here to see ur reasoning about not smoking...i understand what ur saying but its like telling people to stop smoking cigarettes, we all know its bad and in long worng is a stupid idea but tell me u've always done things by the book...yea i'm younger and when bullheaded but the fact is people are always gonna do what they wanna do so why not make some money off it...i understand that its a harzard for innocent people just driving, there are some days i just wanna roll a$$ tons of smoke and others i dont...i know its a waste of money, but its my money...and the next guy that tells me to just light a $20 on fire cuz thats all i'm doing i'm gonna pull one out and do it just to smight him...and all this thread started out as was a simple question, do they make one? why cuz after looking on youtube i noticed that all the trucks with smoke switches weren't LB7s and that i made one for my friends cummins(which didn't work cuz of to much upgrades)which is the same style turbo as LB7, if there was one for and LB7...and as for the legality of it, anything in a car nowadays is illegal...hanging a fricken air freshener from ur rear view mirror is a citable offense...and yea i'm sure it pisses off the tree hungers but they do just as much to piss me off its my retaliation....sorry for loosing my cool but seriously, its a 50-50 shot as to YOUR OPINION on the subject...and for those of us that do it one the street look irresponsible and those that do it on the track look responsible...doesn't mean ur any more right then me, smoke is smoke no matter when its layed...and i'm sorry i dont have the time to do efi where i can make mass power tunes that done smoke...and for making smoke tunes instead of complaining about people that use them why not go right to the source and complain to the people making em, supply and demand "You got the time, I got the dime"

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and for the record i do sled pull, drag race and dyno challenge my truck...i admire u pro guys, u got me hooked...i just dont have the funds to build a full time truck but some day if will be...again sorry for getting heated

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.