Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a slight smoke on start up. as the temp drops the smoke increases. The worst was in Denver 2 weeks ago when it was 16 below. Today was around 20 and just had a slight bit. I would call the color white-ish.
Seems to increase when the high idle kicks in. after about 5 minutes it is gone. Had the dealer check the balance rates and the worst was #1 at 2.4. The rest were almost zero (some+ some -). The tech said they are within spec . He suggested that I wait till it is going to be cold and leave it there outside and they would start it up cold and check them again. I have read a post by briano that the mods I have done may be the cause. Truck runs great, idles smooth and pulls my 15K fiver great. With the latest modes, cat removal,blocker plate and 5" exhaust I am finally getting decent MPG. Like I told the tech it doesn't bother me if I don't have any issues.

PS I have not installed the FS because JK said if I am not getting CEL to leave it off.I am not. In fact the tech said I have no codes. We have tech ll with E/J and Att,BS,BP on and with them removed with no difference.
Any Ideas?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Smoke at startup, especially when cold is usually a result of the cat delete. Smoke at normal operating temp, or really all the time can be a sign of injector problems. If its in jectors you will also notice a big drop in your fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Diesel's will smoke on start-up when it is cold. When I start mine in temps of -20 and colder, there is a large amount of smoke that goes away as the engine warms up. Completely normal for a cold diesel engine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Could it even just be steam from inside the exhaust system as it warms up? :confused:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Thats normal mine does the same and I live in Boulder COLORADO

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine does exactly as Tutts describes. It goes away when engine temp gets up. I live in Iowa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts