Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody made one for their custom stack setup. Would like to use pipes and elbows but they cost way to much so Im gonna attempt to make my own smoke box. Iv got a few ideas but was hopin maybe some of you would have some better ones or could tell me which one of mine would be best. In the bottom 2 I was thinkin maybe i could get some thin sheet metal, bend it and weld it in, but im not sure if id have much luck tryin welding it since its so thin, it would me smoother but im thinkin the one on the top would be the easiest. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Get some wooden dowling the same diameter as your pipes and use it as a mandrel to form flat sheet into a tubing. 2-stroke motorcycle expansion pipes and many aviation manifolds are made this way. If a compound curve requires too much heating and shrinking and hammering, just piece in a wedge. The idea is to get the assembly down to a two-piece affair that is then welded together along one central seam.

If you are good at welding stainless, this will make a sweet one of a kind.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Why not just get some Sq. Tubing and don't worry about making them round. All you have to do is get the right size sq tubing so you can weld an outlet to clamp your stack to. I think sheet metal is gonna be to thin. You can possible get some rectangular tubing too. Go to your local steel supply and see what they have, Ideally some 3' x 5' or 4' x 4' tubing would work, and wouldn't have to be that heavy.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Why not just get some Sq. Tubing and don't worry about making them round. All you have to do is get the right size sq tubing so you can weld an outlet to clamp your stack to. I think sheet metal is gonna be to thin. You can possible get some rectangular tubing too. Go to your local steel supply and see what they have, Ideally some 3' x 5' or 4' x 4' tubing would work, and wouldn't have to be that heavy.

I have seen several new trucks (Pete Kenworth etc etc) That do just that. Seems to work good for them. Its the space factor that they do it like this thou but still............

·
Registered
373 Posts
I decided to go with stainless steel for my box. It was a little more expensive but you don't have to worry about painting or rusting.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine are kind of like the top left picture you have. I have had no problems so far I have a link to some pics in my signiture. I even put a piece on angle steel in there to split the smoke.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigblackdmax, how does yours sound, my straight pipe with the 6" tip sounds great and is pretty loud and Im not wantin to lose the sound Iv got now Im just hopin it will be a lot louder, so basically does it sound a lot differnt than when your exhaust was under the bed.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Mine is a 5x5" piece of square tubing with a 5" piece of pipe welded on to go down and I got 2 4-5" adapters and chopped then off where it was flaring and welded them onto the tubing. On the 5" piece going down, tack weld in a piece of thin steel to work as a splitter, leave it stick up about an inch inside the box. Mine come out even.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think it sounds a little more throaty. Overall it doesn't sound alot different than my brothers truck with 4 inch exhaust. I like my trucks loud and sounding good though I don't like it to loud inside which isn't bad at all with the stacks. It seems that you are after about the same thing as me. I am happy with mine the way it is.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats true, after thinkin about it, its not worth it anyway, I think im just got make somthin pretty close to what bigblackdmax has, looks pretty good.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
How is it not gonna flow out good, with one inlet, and two outlets, you are still gonna get rid of more exhaust gas, regardless of whether it has angles in it or not.....;)
Reversion.

Bouncing the exhaust pulses off of 45^ angles will direct the pulses down the pipe toward the opening. Without angles, you have the top of the box reflecting back into the feedpipe, and the ends reflecting back toward each other, not unlike a laser.

Smooth bends are best. A 45^ reflector plate is second best.

·
Registered
571 Posts
How is it not gonna flow out good, with one inlet, and two outlets, you are still gonna get rid of more exhaust gas, regardless of whether it has angles in it or not.....;)
Thats pretty much what I was thinking when I made mine. When you figure that I used a 3X8 tube that carrys the slightly more volume than a 5 inch round exhaust is carrying half of what the 4inch is bringing to it. JMO

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is the stack set up that I welded up for our truck.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.