Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small issue when i installed my chain i didnt see the correct mark you can see the circle. If you look left of that theres a small indent and i lined that up instead by turning my cam gear a bit. I thought that was strange but equated it to chain stretch and though maybe i acidentally rotated the cam. Any hiw when i went to turn the motor by hand it stopped:eek: I knew i had hit a valve and reversed it thats when i noticed the correct mark on the crank gear which is very faint especially looking from above. Well question is i now have some smoke and a naghing faint rattle i cant quite tune out. Do you think i broke a retainer or messed up a valve? Heres a video of me rambling on a couple minutes upside down:HiHi:

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
The marks look good in the picture.Its definitely aligned.So if you rotate the engine manually there's now no issue?So you didn't run the engine with the marks mismatched right?Just turning it manually?If just manually Im sure your fine.In my opinion you didn't damage anything by just turning the engine over by hand.

The chances of breaking a retainer or valve is next to none.I would not worry about that.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The marks look good in the picture.Its definitely aligned.So if you rotate the engine manually there's now no issue?So you didn't run the engine with the marks mismatched right?Just turning it manually?If just manually Im sure your fine.In my opinion you didn't damage anything by just turning the engine over by hand.
No didnt run it or try to start it like that this was all by hand before i even installed the timing cover just cant shake the smoke. Ill hook up scan again and check the offset.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
The engine sounds good.Cant hear anything wrong with it.Might try doing a KOKO procedure to let the pcm look for new parameters.It may help your smoke condition.Nice blue belt by the way:thumb:

Reactions: JCDiesel

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine sounds good.Cant hear anything wrong with it.Might try doing a KOKO procedure to let the pcm look for new parameters.It may help your smoke condition.Nice blue belt by the way:thumb:
Lol ya thats a gates racing belt for a mustang! This is obd1 so koko do3snt work but ill hook up gm scantech again and check it. Thanks for the view, no ads on my channel!

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
No problem:thumb:

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
You probably know but make sure its at operating temp before you do a tdco learn

Reactions: JCDiesel

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I enjoyed the video! Especially when you snapped the hood down.

If you just turned it by hand I doubt you hurt anything. When a valve hits the piston you usually end up with a bent valve.. If you did disturb the seating just a little it might clear itself up.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I enjoyed the video! Especially when you snapped the hood down.

If you just turned it by hand I doubt you hurt anything. When a valve hits the piston you usually end up with a bent valve.. If you did disturb the seating just a little it might clear itself up.
Ok thanks. Also worth mentioning my sweetheart ran it out of fuel right before i did the chain and water pump. Like right before, she ran it out i primed the system got it running then moved it 100 feet to where i did the chain and water pump. Do you think the ip being starved messed it up?

You probably know but make sure its at operating temp before you do a tdco learn
Affirmative. Instructions read 180F i had it at 183. :thumb:

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Suprised i wasnt getting a ses light or stepper motor code. Well I found my problem when I set the timing offset I set it to positive 1.58 and wasn't paying enough attention that it has to be negative GM spec is -.25 to -1.75 :eek: so I got it set to -1.58 and the engine sounds really really good now runs better and more power. I have swapped a few injection pumps and engines in are 6 two trucks and 5-7 diesel I thought I had a good ear for this timing thing maybe I'm getting older:hehe: So thanks again everyone for your help! Until next time...

Reactions: 1967KaiserM715
1 - 11 of 11 Posts