Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its an 02....i know there have been many threads on here about coolant leaks but thought maybe this time it could be made a sticky.

i am smelling coolant but cant find it anywhere. just noticed it yesterday and smelled it again today. where are all the places to check that arent obvious? i know the line to the turbo is one, where are all the rest? this isnt a major one i dont think because the overflow is where it should be and nothing is wet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am having the same problem. Does your low coolant light ever come on? Mine comes on about once every 4 to 5 weeks. I can't seem to find a leak anywhere

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having the same problem. Does your low coolant light ever come on? Mine comes on about once every 4 to 5 weeks. I can't seem to find a leak anywhere
first time ive smelled it so no low coolant light...theres been many people with the same problem and all were hard to find. was hoping some of them would chime in with the locations and it could be made a sticky

·
Registered
787 Posts
LB7 Coolant cycle and hoses

Coolant feeds into pump from the lower rad hose. It leaves there and goes to the oil cooler. From what I can tell the water travels along a pipe mounted to the drivers side of the engine. The oil cooler is on the back of the engine connected to the oil filter assembly. The water then flows through the rear engine cover and is distributed to the heads and block. The coolant travels to the thermostat housing where it will travel to the heater core (stoping by the egr cooler first) the return line sends water to the lower rad hose. There is also a bypass that goes from the stat house to the pump intake (if I understand it right). Now when the primary stat starts to open it will send coolant through the bypass hose that sends it through the small hose to the radiator. When the engine gets warm enough it will open the secondary and send water via the upper hose to the radiator. Don't forget there is also a line that goes from the top of the engine block to the turbo and then returns to the upper rad hose where prior to entering the rad hose there is a thermal valve (so it doesn't overcool the turbo).

So.....
you have upper and lower rad hoses
in and out to the heater core
in and out to egr cooler if equipped
bypass to radiator
water line @ the oil cooler
you have the overflow on the surge tank
lower line on the surge tank and upper line on the surge tank

You also have the possibility of Injector cups and head gaskets leaking.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Heater core hoses are pretty common cause. And they are close to the fresh air intake.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Heater core hoses are pretty common cause. And they are close to the fresh air intake.
If you can't find it anywhere in the engine compartment, it could actually be coming from the heater core itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had the same prob when the truck is cold take the cap of the coolant tank then start the truck see if there is are bubbles coming up this will tell you if you are getting to much presure form bad head

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks

juice didnt you find some oddball hose that you replaced on a few trucks at the same time? think you found an upgrade for it...

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
thanks

juice didnt you find some oddball hose that you replaced on a few trucks at the same time? think you found an upgrade for it...
Yep. Don't have the link handy (and I am on my way to work:eek::)

But there is a 3/8 line that leads into the turbocharger off of the black heat riser across the motor. There is a brass press in fitting. That hose can develop pinhole leaks. I replaced mine with a purosil hose from Spokane House of Hose.

We could never trace it using dye, but a fellow BOMBer discovered it when he moved the hose.

There is also a bottom return hose that seems less prone to be a problem, maybe you have one or both leaking. I too could smell coolant from that location when it was leaking.

Good Luck Ted!

·
Registered
10,516 Posts

·
Registered
10,516 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. Don't have the link handy (and I am on my way to work:eek::)

But there is a 3/8 line that leads into the turbocharger off of the black heat riser across the motor. There is a brass press in fitting. That hose can develop pinhole leaks. I replaced mine with a purosil hose from Spokane House of Hose.

We could never trace it using dye, but a fellow BOMBer discovered it when he moved the hose.

There is also a bottom return hose that seems less prone to be a problem, maybe you have one or both leaking. I too could smell coolant from that location when it was leaking.

Good Luck Ted!
thanks juice, where is the bottom return?

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
thanks juice, where is the bottom return?
You need to take the intake, and the 'snout' off the turbo to access it.

Almost right in line with the top hose.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts