Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a small lift on my truck and need some advice and opinions on the different type lifts for smaller ones. I still need to be able to fit it in my 7 ft. garage door opening. What options do I have? I looked at the Cognito leveling kit but don't know if it will be enough. I think I read that there were some 4 inch kits out, but need to know if I will still be able to get it in my garage opening. I plan to run a 33 or thin 34 inch tire. I lifted the front via the torsion keys 1.5 inches and have 32.5 BFGs on it now. I only have 2.5 inches before it hits the top now, due to the Onstar antenna. When they say 4 inch is that from the factory height and how much does the back go up? Also any good lifts to look at? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
u may not fit with a 4" id suggest the cognito n crank another inch or so n put alittle bigger tire on.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By chance do you know how the Cognito leveling kit rides maxed out? I understand to get the 3 inches max lift from the kit, I will have to replace the torsion keys. Mine only have about 3 threads left and I still need 1.5 inches to get it to 3. I always heard that if you replaced the keys it would ride horrrible if they were adjusted real high. That was my concern with the leveling kit. But I don't have experience with it. It may ride great at 3 inches, I just don't know. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
843 Posts
you really don't have any other options. either crank the torsions more, and reduce the quality of the ride. or get a 4" lift and not be able to park in the garage. why is it so important to park in the garage anyway?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
avis;1577033; said:
By chance do you know how the Cognito leveling kit rides maxed out? I understand to get the 3 inches max lift from the kit, I will have to replace the torsion keys. Mine only have about 3 threads left and I still need 1.5 inches to get it to 3. I always heard that if you replaced the keys it would ride horrrible if they were adjusted real high. That was my concern with the leveling kit. But I don't have experience with it. It may ride great at 3 inches, I just don't know. Any thoughts?
for some reason ppl say that because wat happens is, is they add the keys and crank it to 2"+ and get little down travel so you get a horrible ride. adding longer shocks will give you more travel, but the cognito will give u even more by not hitting the bump stop on the upper control arms, it will also correct the upperball joint angle. they usually say to keep 1/2" between your upper control arm and the bump stop, so if you can get 3" will depend on the truck. most likely you can get between 2.5-3" so you can sit 1-1.5" higher just on suspension but if you go with alittle larger tire can set you alittle higher as well.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neighborhood restrictions. I just can't get a break! Sounds like Cognito leveling kit it is. I'm 1.5 over stock height now. Can another 1.5 be achieved with the Cognito leveling kit like they claim, without it beatin your teeth out?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Hey...make sure you get some keys too...you'll need them even with the Cognito kit since you say you only have 3 threads left.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
you should have a pretty good ride with the cognito and some longer bilsteins. but yes you will need new keys and you might want a block in the rear as well. and to improve steering mayb consider the cognito idler/pitman arm braces.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Where will I find a small block and what height will I need, if I go three inches in the front. I don't mind if it has a slight slope to it just nothing like the factory rake.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
4-6" cognito set @ 4" rollin on 33's fits under 7'0" door:) Also check to see if the operator is lifting the door all the way up. You might be able to gain several inches.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Pretty close to the same here,6' 10" cleares the xm antenna on top.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
avis,

Where are you from? We did Copter's truck and can help you if you are local or ship you all the rights parts to get it done to your needs. Let me know.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
avis,
Here are those pic's we where talking about...

Above is a truck that was running 285's at stock hight - 38" to finder lip. See all the travel left under the UCA. The following pic's will show you as you lift your truck you loose that space and rebound travel that reflects a bad ride.

Nor-Cal Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts