Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it? I've never seen it come on except at start up? Is that a low fuel light? If so, I had mine down to 23.6 gallons used (according to the computer) and it never came on....

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's a low fuel.. but it's WAY low... lol.. I have run down about the same and haven't been able to tease that light into coming on... I still carry a 5 gallon in the bed just in case though.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Yeah that light comes on and Im half way between vapor and fumes.

I put 25.6 gallons in a 25 gallon tank.

·
Registered
408 Posts
LET'S JUST SAY.....YOU JUST BETTER PRAY YOU NEVER SEE THAT LIGHT COME ON

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's not a low fuel light, it's a get out and start walking light!

Edited by: John R

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can tell you from experience that the light comes on with 28 miles left. find fuel, or start walking as many have said.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Note to self:

Self ... do not let this light come on!

Jim

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yes, It's a "Diesel Thing".

Mine came on once, definitely a final warning light!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Maybe it is an 03 thing, not just a diesel thing??? I know the one time mine came on, a message on the DIC came on stating low fuel....and then it started beeping at me. I guess it figures three different things will get my attention... I jokingly yelled at it stating I would have loved to have filled up if I could find a station with diesel going through the different towns!! Ahhh memories.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The light works in mine. DIC showed 26 miles left. FYI, it's a 26 gal tank on short beds, 32 ( i think ) on long beds. Either way, if you get the light and bells, you better find some fuel !

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah, 26 gallon tank in the short box. I have had the low fuel light come on twice. Both times it was no problem to put in 25 gallons of fuel within one mile of the light coming on. You had better not be towing when that light comes on or you will be walking in about 10-12 miles if you don't have some 'go juice' with you (hasn't happened to me by the way). Edited by: Darin Billing

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ah yes the low fuel light. I have seen it a few times and have called for help twice. That would be for more fuel. The first time the salesman that sold me the truck brought me a five gallon can full. The second time I drove through an entire town, not one station with diesel open. I called GM roadside assistance, of course my mileage was 36,041. Sorry but you are over your mileage. They offered to call me a tow truck, tow trucks don't carry diesel. They offered to call me a taxi, taxis won't let you carry fuel in the vehicle. I was only 1.5 miles from the truckstop on a cold and rainy night. Sucked to be me!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I run mine until the light comes on almost every tank. I show 49-50 miles remaining in the DIC everytime. I have a 2003 CC long box. I've driven over 20 miles a few times once the light came on, so according to the DIC I still had approx 30 miles of fuel left. I usually put in 31-32 gals, so I should have 2-3 gals in the tank if the 34 gal capacity is accurate. I guess each vehicle is different. (My truck has just under 20,000 miles)

·
Registered
125 Posts
On most vehicles it's a "Low Fuel" warning light. On our trucks it's a "You're Outta Fuel, Sucka!" light.

I know, I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to go by the computer and not worry about the light.......

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Is this something that some flash upgrade on the BCM could correct?

·
Registered
338 Posts
dont go up a hill when the lights on itll die on you we found out on the weekend my son went to buy another truck found a 1 ton gmc to test drive took it up ahill and it died on us i guess thay should have put some fuel in it had to be towed

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine came on once. I squeezed in 32 gal. in my long bed.

Steve

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mine came on at about 45 miles on the DIC. I drove another 15 miles to my fuel station and pumped in 32.4 gallons.

So, I would guess it comes on around 2-4 gallons left in the tank.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that have 2004 LB7's that the manual says a long bed tank capacity is 36 gallons, not 34 gal. like everyone else?

If I had plenty of time on my hands, I would run the tank dry just to find out. But I am curious.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts