Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't eng. related, but figure you guys familiar with 6.2s, would also have info on this. I don't see any other pertinent columns to post this on.

2 trucks. 1 is a 79 K10 (?), a 4WD 1/2 ton, with a (theoetically) SM465, and the other truck is a 76 C-10 2wd, with a TH350, or 400. (Haven't even crawled under to look yet.) The 79 is a low mileage plow truck, that has ceased to run almost 10 yrs ago, and is rotting away in my neighbors back yard. 350 QJ, with about 80K actual mileage. The body and interior is shot, but the eng. and driveline were serviceable. The 76 is a well maintained light duty truck, given to my SIL, and is exceptionally clean. Problem is the bottom end might have just gone away. Still investigating.

My question is, can a 4WD SM465 with a transfer case, be converted to a 2WD application? Or are the main cases completely different? Was thinking of Frankensteining the 2WD clean truck with the automatic, to a 2WD SM465, seeing the 79 has all the clutching, linkage, pedals, but a 4WD tranny. Didn't know if the output shaft, and tailhousing was changed, it could be converted to 2WD, or is the entire case different? Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In theory, if the mounts are the same on both trucks, and the crossmember is the same, I don't see a reason you couldn't just swap the 4x4 power train into the 2wd and just use the rear driveshaft- don't worry about even installing the front one. If its a manual tcase, make a bracket to hold the shifter to the 2wd position. You might have to 'customize' the rear shaft some. Obviously, this is only in theory, no idea if that would work.

Reactions: Sbgarage

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought about leaving the transfer case on it too John, but would rather not, if there were other options. Not sure about mount locations either. But thanks for the reply. Maybe I could conjure something up, by taking the frt driveshaft, and putting a bucket on the frt of the truck. :unsure:;)

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I think it's a different tail section and main shaft. My best bet would be to sell the 4wd sm465/tcase combo and buy a 2wd sm465. Should be a straight across deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would go with the option of just leaving the transfer case on and not hooking up with the front driveshaft. Is it the right way to do it? Well not really but it works and won't harm anything.

Assuming the trucks are the same bed/cab configuration it should swap in directly. If you get a new tail section you'll have to pay for that as well as getting your driveline length corrected and deal with that hassle and expense.

And who knows, maybe you'll find yourself wanting to be in 2 low for something some day and would have that option.

My two cents .

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nate, I guess finding "only" a tail shaft, and housing for a 2WD 465, and pulling apart the 4WD tranny to swap, probably wouldn't be any cheaper than just doing like you say. Just get a 2WDer. Ya know, I'm not even sure if that tranny "is" an SM465. Still haven't looked. Just researching ideas right now.
And @J, Would you know if the tranny lengths, (driveshafts) are the same for the 2 trannys? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know for sure..
I think it's a different tail section and main shaft. My best bet would be to sell the 4wd sm465/tcase combo and buy a 2wd sm465. Should be a straight across deal.
I would go with the option of just leaving the transfer case on and not hooking up with the front driveshaft. Is it the right way to do it? Well not really but it works and won't harm anything.

Assuming the trucks are the same bed/cab configuration it should swap in directly. If you get a new tail section you'll have to pay for that as well as getting your driveline length corrected and deal with that hassle and expense.

And who knows, maybe you'll find yourself wanting to be in 2 low for something some day and would have that option.

My two cents .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nate, I guess finding "only" a tail shaft, and housing for a 2WD 465, and pulling apart the 4WD tranny to swap, probably wouldn't be any cheaper than just doing like you say. Just get a 2WDer. Ya know, I'm not even sure if that tranny "is" an SM465. Still haven't looked. Just researching ideas right now.
And @J, Would you know if the tranny lengths, (driveshafts) are the same for the 2 trannys? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know for sure..
The 2wd setup is going to be shorter since it doesn't have the extra length from the transfer case. You'll have to get a longer driveline or, if you still have the one from the 2wd truck, have it shortened.

The sm465 is pretty easily identified. Post some pics and they wizards here will identify it quick if ya get stumped.

For what it is worth, I have an sm465 and it is a good match. My two gripes are the ratio split between 3rd and 4th and the fact that it doesn't have OD.

A nv4500 would solve the OD problem, but the ratio split on 3 and 4 is just as steep. One of these days I'll find a ranger torque splitter and I'll be happy as heck ☺

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"J", I know exactly what you mean about the 3-4 spread on this tranny. Not a good match for the low power of the N/A 6.2 at hi-way speeds, especially in towing mode. And of course the lack of OD. And I can't believe you mentioned a splitter, cause years ago I looked at one for my 83 C-30 6.2 dually from Advanced Adapters. I know Gear Vendors makes an OD for $2500, but has an electric operated solenoid. But I kinda like the cheaper, ($1500) Advanced Adapter unit, cause it reminds me of an old B or R model Mack, with a twin shifter.

And above you mentioned the driveshaft lengths, and maybe you mistakenly wrote? Cause you mentioned the 2WD having a shorter driveshaft. I would think the 4WD would be shorter, cause of the transfer case, no?

·
Registered
20 Posts
"J", I know exactly what you mean about the 3-4 spread on this tranny. Not a good match for the low power of the N/A 6.2 at hi-way speeds, especially in towing mode. And of course the lack of OD. And I can't believe you mentioned a splitter, cause years ago I looked at one for my 83 C-30 6.2 dually from Advanced Adapters. I know Gear Vendors makes an OD for $2500, but has an electric operated solenoid. But I kinda like the cheaper, ($1500) Advanced Adapter unit, cause it reminds me of an old B or R model Mack, with a twin shifter.

And above you mentioned the driveshaft lengths, and maybe you mistakenly wrote? Cause you mentioned the 2WD having a shorter driveshaft. I would think the 4WD would be shorter, cause of the transfer case, no?
It's a tough spread. Even with a turbo it's a struggle although although if I had a hotter pump I think I'd do better.

The gear vendors option is so expensive. I'd rather be able to split gears with the ranger or have the US gears dual range boxes (actually looking at one now) to split gears as well!

What I meant was if you have the driveline from the 2wd truck, you could shorten that one. The 4x4 setup will certainly be longer. So many options!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, now I understand. Got-cha.
US Gears, you say? Never heard of them. Will have-ta look into it. Thanks for the replies.
(Happy Turkey day.):)

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
If you have the parts trucks available it would seem like a straighforward swap. Maybe have to move the trans xmember forward but like Hog said if you want to get rid of the tcase you're gonna need a 2wd 465. Swapping the outputs seems convenient until you tear it apart and find out some bearing or shaft sizes change and then what. Least hassle I think would be to just swap all the 4x4 parts over, shorten the rear DS and remove the front one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya Juan. It is a possibility that I will pass onto my SIL. His truck, his choice. I personally don't like having useless components hanging off my truck, but that's just me. But it does make more sense than the tranny conversion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hear ya Juan. It is a possibility that I will pass onto my SIL. His truck, his choice. I personally don't like having useless components hanging off my truck, but that's just me. But it does make more sense than the tranny conversion.
Again if you ever need to pull a heavy boat out of the water, pull a stump, drag a conex box etc. That low range in a t case might still come in handy ;)

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I very much dislike that 3/4 split in both the SM465 and the NV4500. I could get around it cause I ran my pump hot enough in the old 6.2 with the turbo, but it was ring it's neck in 3rd then slam it in 4th real quick if I was loaded. Unloaded, not super bad. Just one of the many reasons I stuffed a 6spd in my truck when I went to the Cummins. Wish there was a good HD 6 speed for the GM motors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I very much dislike that 3/4 split in both the SM465 and the NV4500. I could get around it cause I ran my pump hot enough in the old 6.2 with the turbo, but it was ring it's neck in 3rd then slam it in 4th real quick if I was loaded. Unloaded, not super bad. Just one of the many reasons I stuffed a 6spd in my truck when I went to the Cummins. Wish there was a good HD 6 speed for the GM motors.
I have to believe this transmission was strictly designed for gassers. I had a TBI 350 before I swapped the 6.2. I would wind that thing up to 5k and shift from 3>4. Not the same luxury with the diesel. I've found if I keep my foot on the throttle I can keep 5 or 6 psi of boost when I drop the clutch but I have a stock crappy pump.

Op these are things to consider If you plan to tow. I hate slush box autos too but at least the torque converter allows you to keep them wound-up a bit more. Hurts me to say but I'd rather have a th400 when towing, but I also live in the pnw where it's very hilly.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still think that when I get back to fixing up my C-30, I will be purchasing an Advanced Adapters split shifter, (if they don't go outta business 1st). Takes care of 3/4 spread, and gives you an OD. Plus some other gears for fun. And it seems the best price option, compared to others. And last but not least, it'll remind me of the split shifting B model Macks my father use-ta work on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts