Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to install a SM465 4sp manual tranny in my K5. will i be able to use the same starter on the flywheel that i have been using on the flexplate?

how do i wire up the reverse lights?

what do i do with the gear selector form the AT. is there a way to keep the steering wheel from locking, and for the key to energize the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
256 Posts
You can probably just leave the auto column alone and it will work the same - will lock as long as it's in park - but ideally you should take the column out of the donor for your pedals and linkage, even if you run a floor shifter. They have a button to disengage the locking feature on them. Also, the wiring's a little different, instead of a neutral safety switch you have to have the clutch depressed to crank the motor.

If you don't want the steering wheel to lock, just pull it off and take the lock plate out. You can put it back together without it and everything will work just fine. It's difficult but possible to pop the snap ring out without the $14 tool for it if you want to save a few bucks. Same deal on the reverse lights, if you don't want to sort out the switch on the shift linkage, just put it on a dash toggle.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yep, don't even worry about the column. When I did my swap the truck had two shift levers for a while until I got bored one day and drove out the little pin that holds the shift lever in and took the lever out. Unless you want to get into swapping steering columns that's probably your best bet... Swapping columns is kind of a pain.

If you are worried about being able to start the truck in gear you can hook up the neutral and clutch safety switches. Just wire them in the line to the starter solenoid... I never hooked mine up. Just have to be careful. One of these days I guess I should hook them up though...

Backup lights... The wiring for the backup lights will still be on your truck. You'll have to bypass the original switch (just splice in a piece of wire there) and then splice in some more wiring to the backup light switch on the 465. I still haven't hooked mine up... Just lazy I guess. It's not hard.

I don't quite get what you mean about the starter. Obviously you will need to replace the flexplate with a flywheel. You'll be able to use your current starter.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't quite get what you mean about the starter. Obviously you will need to replace the flexplate with a flywheel. You'll be able to use your current starter.
I was just wondering if the flywheel would have the same teeth/spacing as the flexplate.

i haven't been able to find the parts yet so i'm kinda flying blind. i'm sure when i have everything sitting on the garage floor i'll understand better.

thanks for all your help/ideas

hank

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have been told the autos and manual starters are different. Not sure if they really are or not but if you are looking into a new one anyway, might as well get the correct one, as you have to swap out the flexplate for flywheel anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts