Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The edge will not work at full capability untill the truck gets to 180 degrees, but my truck takes forever to warm up.
I have started it in the morning and warmed it for 30 to 45 minutes and still not up to opperating temp. Outdoor temp is between 45 to 55 degrees. Even driving it takes 20 to warm up. Thermostat or computer?

I had taken it to the dealer last year because the heater would not work. I thought it was the thermostat but it turned out to be a computer issue.

Any Ideas??

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine hasn't gotten past the line between 160 and 210 since I got it. (Last Friday). But then again, the highest temp here has been 45.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Diesel's do not produce heat like the gasser do. Have you installed a high idle? That will help a little. Most of the Duramax's came with a cold front to get the engine to run warmer in the winter.
Kennedy Diesel has the directions on their website on how to hook up the high idle.

·
Banned
735 Posts
Def. get a cold front, they really do help. Also, a diesel has to be "worked" to get some heat out of them,period. You could let it idle all day and it would never warm up. Same goes for drivin like granny on flat land, you need some hills in there or get a heavier foot. My truck will idle for 10-15 min. in the morning and never even register on the guage. I drive approx 3-4 miles and it still doesn't register. Then I hit the mounatin roads and slowly but surely, it gets up to 180*-190* , but thats after it gets it's morning wok out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yup, definately takes some time to warm up. I only idle for about ten minutes in the morning then drive to get her warm. The quadzilla doesn't have temp protection so I still have power when I need it plus I can load the engine with it also. But don't forget, temp protection is there for a reason.

The next solution which I was looking into is an Espar or Blueheat coolant heater. Couple guys here run them and like them, I don't know how hot they can get the coolant but I think it is pretty warm. Anywho, thats my opinion.

Oh yea I agree with the grill cover also, it came with your truck. I never take it off in the winter, even up to 50 or 60F ambient, she still runs cool 180-190.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
not true diesel produce alot more heat than gas....the reason is they have better cooling systems than gassers...diesel will melt ehausts if over fueled,they also never stop producing horse power,the more fuel the more horse power,the more diesel the more they will eat,until they will melt...thx

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
yeah if you just let it idle, even high idle, it will pretty much not warm up at all in the cold. But start driving and it should heat right up within 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Diesel's do not produce heat like the gasser do. Have you installed a high idle? That will help a little. Most of the Duramax's came with a cold front to get the engine to run warmer in the winter.
Kennedy Diesel has the directions on their website on how to hook up the high idle.
Why do we see EGT's as high as 1800*?? Fuel burns alot hotter than gas.

I get about half way to work then it kicks in. and the heater will cook you out of the truck. It takes about 25-30 mins for mine to warm up.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Why do we see EGT's as high as 1800*?? Fuel burns alot hotter than gas.

I get about half way to work then it kicks in. and the heater will cook you out of the truck. It takes about 25-30 mins for mine to warm up.
he wasnt talking about egt's he was talking about the coolant temperatures. coolant temps arent based on exhaust temps. my truck will cool down just from idling, as everybody said, they dont warm up until you drive them...

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
from bullydog....he wasnt talking about egt's he was talking about the coolant temperatures. coolant temps arent based on exhaust temps. my truck will cool down just from idling, as everybody said, they dont warm up until you drive them...

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
when you start your truck, turn the heater to "off"

That helps immensely

·
Registered
369 Posts
your truck will never get hot idling, the exhuast temp is only like 250 degrees at idle. i let mine run for about 5 minutes then drive. and the coolant system works good on these trucks, i can drive home be all up to temp and then stop at the 7-11 for stuff let the truck sit and idle when its say 20 degrees out and it will loose temperature. if it sits and runs for say 10 minutes it will drop from say 180 down to the upper 160's.

also your edge should come on sooner, mine clicks on at 142 degrees every morning. can feel it click on every day.

heater in my truck isnt very impressive, even with the cloud rider front cover it takes a solid 15 miles to get any decent heat outta it...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You think you have a problem with heating up.....try getting heat @ -50F! If I don't use high idle, my EGTs are around 180....with high idle, the get to about 215 if I am lucky. I just installed a little buddy interior heater and it helped quite a bit for cab comfort. At those temps, the truck barely reaches 180. I have to be towing something to get the engine to normal operating temp.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
your truck will never get hot idling, the exhuast temp is only like 250 degrees at idle.

thank you gsxr, the original post was sitting there idleing not driving the truck, my egt is only 250 at first start up as well

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
it should warm up as soon as you drive for like 5-10 min

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
mine has a problem, i run (both) cold fronts and i live 23 miles away from work, i get on the highway, @ 65 mph and it will only get to 170,then drop to 158 then go to 170 again outside temp is 25 but it still should get hot w/out any air entering it!!!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
mine has a problem, i run (both) cold fronts and i live 23 miles away from work, i get on the highway, @ 65 mph and it will only get to 170,then drop to 158 then go to 170 again outside temp is 25 but it still should get hot w/out any air entering it!!!

yes it should.

kind of funny, the LLY's over heat and the LB7's wont even get to operating temp

·
Registered
544 Posts
You think you have a problem with heating up.....try getting heat @ -50F! If I don't use high idle, my EGTs are around 180....with high idle, the get to about 215 if I am lucky. I just installed a little buddy interior heater and it helped quite a bit for cab comfort. At those temps, the truck barely reaches 180. I have to be towing something to get the engine to normal operating temp.
Have you had any problems with your truck at -50F? I assume you leave the truck running all the time if it's that cold.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Have you had any problems with your truck at -50F? I assume you leave the truck running all the time if it's that cold.
I haven't, I just plug it in. I have a heater on each of my batteries, one on the oil pan, and one on the tranny pan and synthetic fluids in everything. Of course I have the block heater and use stanadyne with every fill-up.Most of the time my truck is parked in a garage except when I go to work, then it is outside. Surprisingly enough I haven't noticed many people having problems with their diesels when it is that cold.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts