Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Duramax since March. Unfortunately the dealer has also had the truck a great deal of that time. It seems like my truck is slowly being replaced, part by part with remanufactured junk. My question is likely a simple one.

I took the truck in yesterday to repair a leak in the steering gear box. The dealer replaced the gear box with a remanufactured unit. The truck now pulls slightly left. That seems easy enough to correct. However, the real problem is that the steering now seems sloppy and wandering. Ie. it takes less pressure and more turn of the wheel to stay straight down the road. It simply doesn't have the solid feel that I loved when I bought the truck. Is this something that can be effectively adjusted or should I insist on a new part?

JSM

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
They likely did not align the truck after repairs, that could contribute to your pull. The pre-load on the box can be adjusted a bit tighter to take some of the loosness out of it. There is a 5/8 nut on top of it with a allen headed screw in the middle of it. The screw is the adjustement and the nut ( its a nylock style nut) is the jam nut. Loosen the nut then tighten the screw a 1/4 turn at a time until you like the feel. Too much and it will make steering harder and feel like p/s is not working. It will also cause premature wear on box.

Eric

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Eric, do you remember awhile back I asked you if the gear box had a neutral position? I also asked if the pitman arm could be installed wrong because my truck pulled to the right. I have looked at the box that came off mine. The out put shaft has three flats and the pitman arm can be installed in one of three positions. The input coupler can be aligned to center the wheel. I had my front end aligned and it still pulls to the right. Are you sure there is not a position where there is no assist in either direction? Later! Frank

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had to have the gear box on my truck replaced almost immediately after I bought it. Problems:

1. It was leaking.

2. If you were sitting idling, as you turned the wheel, it woud start to bind up the closer it go to the turn limits.

3. At full turn, the steering wheel had about two inches of free travel when moved back and forth. I noticed this the first with the engine turned off and the wheels turned full. If I rocked the steering wheel back and forth there was a loud clunking noise from the gear box. It was so bad I inspected the front end to make sure nothing was loose. Next I checked the free play with the engine running. Same thing but no clunk. There is no free play with the steering wheel straight, only when turned to the limits - left or right.

While they were replacing the gear box on my '03 I did the same checks on an '04 on the dealers lot. Free play with engine running was very slight. However, turning the engine off with the wheels turned full and the same excessive movement is there. Not good. I did the test on my '03 with the new gear box and the results were the same as with the '04.

I do a lot of alignments on all makes of vehicles. I hope this gear box does not turn out to be a future issue. GM's gear boxes have never worn well to begin with. However, I'm surprised to see this on brand new boxes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I did get the truck back today. The dealer did acknowledge that there was too much play and that the alignment was out. In fact, despite the odometer being over 12,000 mi. they did agree to do a full alignment. I would still like to see the pre-load just a little bit tighter, but, that's something I can do in my spare time.

Also, I did have the time, while waiting for the mechanic to finish, to drive a newer Duramax. If there's a difference, I sure didn't see it or feel it.

Thanks again.

JSM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts