Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the CAT Filter pics in "My Link" to see a slight variation on the frame rail mounted Cat Filter. I decided to make a mounting bracket that would utilize the 2 existing holes in the vertical wall of the frame rail instead of drilling holes on top and using a piece of angle stock. I heated and bent the 3" flat stock to fit.

I also plan to add a skid plate that will mount to the lower bolt of the filter bracket. I'll post pics of that too when complete.

I drilled and tapped the inlet and outlet of the filter head to accept the 3/8" NPT tp 1/2" ID hose so I wouldn't create a restriction with the smaller original size.

I lost less than a cup of fuel when I cut the line. I filled the inlet side of the new CAT filter with clean fuel and attached it to the head. The truck started and has run fine ever since with no priming, stalling or faltering at all.

Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
138 Posts
Clean install, good job. Mr X and I would have a bit of a problem with this location. The transfer flow 45 gallon replacement tank occupies this space. Still contemplating a solution for me. I'm a little gunshy of the wheel well location in cold climates and I do tow north in the winter time. Thinking, thinking, .......

George in Albuquerque

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
i originally was going to put my filter there but didn't because mounting it by the back tire got it a bit higher up, kept me from climbing under it to change, and most important- didn't get in the way of my TF 45 gal tank :).

that looks like the best frame-rail solution i've seen to date. great job!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm getting ready to install my Nicktane filter and I tried to find some inline valves so I could shut off the fuel lines when changing - but I couldn't find any. Has anyone changed their filter yet without shutoff valves? If so, was there much fuel that drained out when you removed the filter? I'm going to install without the valves and hope there isn't too much fuel drain when I pull the filter.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think this is probably the cleanest frame mount I've seen. DMAX2DAMAX is using a Perma-cool head vs. the CAT head. Does anyone see any issues with this? It appears that the mods done to the head would allow a higher flow through the filter than if the CAT head was used.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
The cat head flows PLENTY.. no worries there at all... as for shutoff valves.. i took my filter off the other day to see, and it dripped a bit but didn't pour out.. no worries for me... i did crack the oem beed screw first to releave pressure..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great! What is the part number for the filter head? Also, I've been hesitant to cut into the stock line. Did you try and "flare" or bump the tips of the factory, rigid line or did you just slip your hoses over the cut pipe? Thanks.

Phil B.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How many miles on yours now Nick? Can't believe you took it off and resisted the urge to cut into it LOL

Must have been hard to screw it back on!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
yes it was hard...but i actually didn't unscrew it..i removed it with the head.. had i unscrewed it i would have had to cut it open... i know my limits! i ahve about 9500 miles right now...

·
Registered
216 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX------------- IF YOU EVER HAVE TROUBLE WITH YOUR HOSES HOOKED TO YOUR OEM FUEL LINE YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY COMPRESSION FITTINGS,I USED THEM ON MY CAT INSTALL THEY MAKE A CLEAN AND EASY JOB,I MADE AN EXTRA PIECE OF HOSE THAT I CAN FIT BETWEEN MY TWO COMPRESSION FITTING IF I EVER HAD TROUBLE WITH THE FILTER ON A TRIP OR JUST AWAY FROM HOME SO I COULD GET BACK,LOOK AT BY PIC'S AND YOU CAN SEE THE PARTS I USED, THE VALVES WERE ONLY 6 BUCKS A PIECE,MIKE

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike,

Thanks! I saw your excellent install </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape>
</v:imagedata></v:shape>pictures when you first posted them, unfortunately for me that was several days after
</v:imagedata></v:shape>I had mine on. I was looking for the parts to do what you did and was having some difficulty finding them so I went with what I had. I got the idea for the Push Locks from hoot and I really liked the clean look but I wasn't able to come up with what you did on the cut line. I used two clamps on each line, which has worked for me on a number of other applications in the past, so we'll see. But I hate how they look!
</v:imagedata></v:shape> I remember while growing up in my Grandfather’s garage when I would ask him about a problem I was having, he'd always ask me, “what did you do to the car last?” I'd tell him this or that and he would usually say, "while you were doing that you did this," and sure enough I was the cause of the problem I was troubleshooting.
</v:imagedata></v:shape> So for now, for this particular mod,* I'm sticking with the old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I have had zero problems, no leaks, no air (that I know of Mr X
</v:imagedata></v:shape>), no stalls, faltering, nothing but good clean fuel now being sent to my DMAX by the new Quad Stealth, with lots of power to spin my new 315's!<v:shape id=_x0000_i1030 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt=""

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Just remember guys, when mounting hose over cut steel line it is very difficult to get an airtight seal without a raised sealing rib formed into the steel line.

Vacuum leaks are very difficult to detect.

If I was doing it I would definately use furrel type fittings.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I too am waiting for some cut open Cat pics. I've got mine(post oem) with around 6500 miles on it. I changed my OEM at just a little over 13000k and cut it just to see that it was about 1/3 used.

Also I'm also running the 750 short, with a 749 long for a spare. I'm curious to see if the larger filter has any effect on the system. Anyhow hopefully I'll hit 10k before the snow flies up here. I'm curious to see what the media looks like inside and how used it gets.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Roegs---- I POSTED THEM OVER ON THE DIESEL PAGE NOT TO LONG AGO,THAT SITE IS DOWN RIGHT KNOW BUT WHEN ITS BACK UP I WILL FIND THEM AND SEND THEM TO YOU,SORRY I CAN FIND MY RECEITE AT HOME BUT I THINK WITH ALL THE FITTINGS ,VALVES ,AND HOSE IT WAS AROUND 45.00,I GOT THEM AT A LOCAL HYDRAULIC STORE,IF YOU CAN'T FIND THEM I WOULD BE GLAD TO GET THEM FOR YOU,MIKE

1 - 20 of 39 Posts