Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today driving to work out of the blue my truck fell flat on its face. Engine light came on rpm will not go above 2000 and it takes a bit to get it up that high, sounds like an old Cummings engine, top speed about 15 mph runs rough. Limped it to my parents about 2 miles and parked it. After work I bought a fuel filter and installed that and still no change. Ran it for about 15 to 20 min. and still nothing. Stopped and started a few times no change. Checked my injector harness all looks good. When I had my vin number checked it stated that the harness was replaced with only a few thousand miles on the truck. So I towed it to a dealer. I don’t have a code checker so have no idea what code it is throwing.

Bruce

·
Registered
528 Posts
Better run to the dealer and steal your truck back.

You need an icepick.

Do a search on "ice pick method".

99 percent sure thats your problem.

Good luck

·
Banned
569 Posts
Go to the nearest AutoZone (or Kragen, or Checkers, or ...) and borrow a code reader. Many of these car-parts shops will loan out tools like this.

Joseph

·
Registered
668 Posts
X2 on what sneeze said.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No need to do a search here it is http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142114

You will need a code reader to find out which injector caused the problem and an ice pick. Maybe a few tools depending on how many other engine componets need removed to get to the injector. The problem is usually injector 2 or 7 but I just recently had this problem on injector #3 on the side of the road, in the middle of no where, at night. I ended up calling Rick so he could walk me thru it. Heck of a nice guy by the way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys:

Well I guess I will have to pay the price for not paying enough attention to some of these forums. You were right turned out to be the #2 and they are replacing the wiring harness again. This time they tell me the warranty is not covering it and by the time it was done the bill is $800. I should have checked back here sooner and I should have read that Ice Pick forum a long time a go. I though that seems the harness had been replaced with a revised version a long time a go I didn’t have to worry about it. But after reading it I fully understand what the problem was and how easy it would have been to fix for nothing. And now I will go back to the dealer and asked them why they could not of fixed it the same way without having me paying for a new harness. Oh well you live and learn.

Bruce

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks Guys:

by the time it was done the bill is $800.
Wow wow wow.... what exactly did they do for 800 dollars? I hope there was significant other work done to the truck.

To diagnose that problem and install GM's Fix should not cost more then 300 dollars?

You got seriously ripped off and you do have recourse. You should not have to pay for a bad diesel tech to learn.

Refer to this post and scroll down for the TSB on this EXACT issue. This is what your dealer SHOULD have done to repair the problem.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177095&highlight=injector+harness+repair+warranty

If you notice... the labour time is around 0.9 hours.

I would print out that TSB and drive right back there and demand at least 500 dollars back.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
You got seriously ripped off and you do have recourse. You should not have to pay for a bad diesel tech to learn.
Its not that he paid for a bad diesel tech...remember its a Canadian dealership. Parts are at a minimum of twice the price of what they are in the states more likely three to four times, plus labor rate of I am sure $105 plus an hour, plus 12% taxes, plus shop supplies, plus fees for fees and etc...$800 wouldn't be out of the question.

When my FPR went bad last year the stealer here wanted $828 and change for one. I ordered it out of partszoneonline and delivered to my door, with shipping and exchange was $323. Then the stealer accused me of buying stolen parts. I made him eat his words when I showed him the GM receipt:D.

·
Registered
528 Posts
When my FPR went bad last year the stealer here wanted $828 and change for one.
While I agree the cost of repairs in Canada is exponential compared to the cost in the states. (I live in Alberta)...

You were quoted 828 for a bad FPR... the man payed 800 to have 4 wires cut and spliced together.

No, Canadian prices do not jusitfy that. If they replaced the whole wiring harness... that would be like building a new house so you can have a remodeled bathroom.

(Not to mention, a complete Harness swap will still have the Injector harness issue again some day down the line)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The $800 was for a complete harness and the book rate of 4.5 hours to re and re. The harness was over $400 on it's own. But I am still going back tomorrow with the service number and telling them "yes it is warranty". Ya up here we get burned for parts. just like the LBZ mouth piece $265 up here and $104 in the US. or $69 at the Parts Zone. And ya the labor sucks big time. This also got me at a very bad time were I was stuck and was so tied up with to many things and no time to research or try and figure it out.But I will get it all straighten out tomorrow. And yes after reading all this stuff I do not understand why they did the whole harness, but I will be getting an icepick. Thanks everyone for your help.

Bruce

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well here is the way it all went. Towed it into the shop on Wed night. They called me early Thursday morning and told me that the harness needed replacing and the cost. I assumed they were replacing the whole harness for $435 and they said about $400 for labour. I had not read all of this yet so I told them to go ahead and they said it would be ready by Thursday afternoon. I did not have time to go pick it up Thursday after work so when I got home I read all of this stuff and was not to happy with what was going on so I figured Friday morning I would call them and find out why they were burning me on this and also tell them it was covered under warranty. When I did get a hold of them Friday morning I asked them was it a complete harness they were putting in for $435 they said no just the connector and splicing it in. I said and you are charging me $435 dollars for a new connector. They said that’s how much the kit costs. I then told him well this is covered under warranty and he said no it is not because the harness had been replaced once before at 15000 miles and the warranty only covers it once. I told him that’s BS and asked if the truck had been finished and he said no not yet so I told him to leave it alone then I will be coming to pick it up.

I called another GM dealer and told them what was going on and they said that they were wrong and if it has to be fixed 20 times and it’s still under the warranty time it is covered. They said they would make some calls and make sure and they did and called me back and said yes it is covered under the diesel warranty. I went and picked up my truck Saturday morning and they charged me $83 for labour. So I just told them it will be the last time they will ever see one of my vehicles in their shop again.

When I got in to start it, it started and ran just fine but the engine light was still on so I took it home and did the icepick on it and restarted it and ran great and had no engine light on. So the whole thing ended up costing me $86 towing and $83 labour for them just checking to see what code it was throwing. When I picked it up the service manager was not around and Monday I will stop in there and raise some more **** with him because this thing should not have cost me anything and I think the warranty would have even paid the tow bill.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
They probably were totally aware that its covered by warranty and that the price was nowhere near $435 for the kit. Im sure that this happens often and most of the time it is unfortunate clueless people and they get taken by the stealer. You just happened to be one of few diesel owners who check forums and you caught them on it. Glad you got it back running and didnt get ripped off.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You just happened to be one of few diesel owners who check forums and you caught them on it. Glad you got it back running and didnt get ripped off.
X2, Diesel Place prevents another GM stealer rip-off!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.