Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04.5 Dmax, surges at idle, not to bad though. When im in gear (at a stop light) it surges terribly. Not all the time though.... Its intermittent.. When it surges in gear its bad, enough to move the truck... Not sure whats going on, no matter how i have it tunes with EFI live it still does it. Truck didnt do it for like 2 months after I bought it, its been doing it for a good 5 months now... Any ideas??? Could the need for a new fuel filter do that in a dmax? Also I have watched my pids while it occurs and my rail pressure jumps maybe 1000psi. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
im having the exact problem right now with my 2004.5 and my dealer cant seem to fix it. they changed out the egr valve on warranty, which is funny cuz i had it blocked so it wouldnt do anything anyways...idiots. but its still doing it so its going back monday. what could it be? and yah mines doing exact thing, slowly gotten worse, surges slightly at idle but hard enough to move the truck while in gear and stopped at a traffic light. and only does it at full temp. fuel filter was the first thing i changed and didnt help at all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
More than likely it is the fuel pressure regulator. Common problem with our trucks and ULSD. We need to add lubricity to our diesel. I run B5 and that seems to eliminate the surge. If I run #2, I add a quart of 2 stroke and that seems to smooth out the surge (not as good as bio though).
Try an additive or run bio and see if that helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I figured it wasn't EGR cause mine is shut off with efi live... I tried running some fuel additive and it made it slightly better, but still did it. I will see if I can find some bio where I live and try that. I was thinking a rail pressure sensor, but it sees my rail pressure jump when it surges so I ruled that out. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
63 Posts
try looking up the ice pick thread as well for your #2 and #7 injectors

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yea, I figured it wasn't EGR cause mine is shut off with efi live... I tried running some fuel additive and it made it slightly better, but still did it. I will see if I can find some bio where I live and try that. I was thinking a rail pressure sensor, but it sees my rail pressure jump when it surges so I ruled that out. Thanks for the help
Ive had the same problem. Some addatives work better than others but the best by far would be 2 stroke oil. I run a quart through every 3-4 fill ups and surge hasnt been around since.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Mine has this little surge at idle, almost like its hunting but its so slight the tach barely moves. So what would some of the best additives be?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 04.5 also does this and just like the others my dealer can't find the problem. What kind of 2-stroke oil should I add in?

Thanks, Ben

·
Diesel Head,
44 Posts
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but my 04.5 does the same thing. I wasn't sure if my Banks Six Gun Tuner had anything to do with it but it doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 04.5 also does this and just like the others my dealer can't find the problem. What kind of 2-stroke oil should I add in?

Thanks, Ben
I use the 16 0z bottles they have on the shelf at wally world.I think it is called super tech or something like that. If you read the lubricity study that is posted under fluids it tells you what type it is.
One bottle per full tank of fuel is how I mix it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
x2 on the fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the 16 0z bottles they have on the shelf at wally world.I think it is called super tech or something like that. If you read the lubricity study that is posted under fluids it tells you what type it is.
One bottle per full tank of fuel is how I mix it.

Thanks! I put in a QT. of Penzoil 2-stroke oil and I be damned if it didn't fix the problem... Go figure...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I solved it. Airdog 150... Installed, and truck hasn't done it once since. Its been like a month.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine has this little surge at idle, almost like its hunting but its so slight the tach barely moves. So what would some of the best additives be?
I read your post and you have exactly what got with my truck. Have you found the culprit or cure?? My truck surges too but more like its hunting other than that truck runs fine. Just wondering of you found a solution??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.