Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a about a 60% chance I will be upgrading to a 5th wheel trailer in the next month or so. A friend of mine has been towing a 5ver for years, and he recommended getting a sliding hitch even though I have a long box truck because it will make the trailer easier to maneuver in tight spaces.

Is my buddy full of it or does a sliding hitch in a long box truck help?

·
Professional Lurker
299 Posts
I have a long box without a slider. Sliders are put in short boxes to keep you from taking out your back window and cab with the corner of the trailer. Moving a 5'er less than 2 feet back won't help you IMHO. I would think if it was such a help in maneuvering you would see it on big rigs. I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is very little increased maneuverability by going with the slider. Its mostly to keep you from smashing the back window on your short box truck.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
I can't imagine why you'd want to invest all the extra money on a slider hitch for a longbox truck. I tow a fiver with my longbox and I can crank it around to over 90 degrees with a hard-mount fifth wheel with space to spare, and unless your 5er has a really bulbous nose you should be able to accomplish at *least* 90 degrees with just about any fiver.

If you need more then 90 degrees of turning maneuverability to get into a campsite or a tight spot, then it's time to look for an alternate spot IMHO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Question: I have shortbox CC and am considering purchsing a 5er. My Dad plans on selling his 27' soon, can I use a standard Pro Series Reese 15k hitch(non slider). He will give me his hitch. Or will this be a issue? Can you take caution when parking your trailer to avoid cab/window damage?
tks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Question: I have shortbox CC and am considering purchsing a 5er. My Dad plans on selling his 27' soon, can I use a standard Pro Series Reese 15k hitch(non slider). He will give me his hitch. Or will this be a issue? Can you take caution when parking your trailer to avoid cab/window damage?
tks!
I would'nt risk it. Somewhere along the line your gonna have to crank her around and you'll wish you had it!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Pro Series, but I know on the others you can keep the head of the hitch and just buy the "Kwik Slide" portion.

·
Registered
501 Posts
tks!
I tow a fifthwheel and I have a reese 16K with the slider, I'm on my third shortbed truck (same hitch) and I have never had to use the slider and I live in a small circle in my neighborhood and the turn is pretty sharp with no problems. I think the key is in your king pin my king pin is the extended type (approx. 2' in length), if your's is the shorty you will most likely have problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with RINGNEKS, if the trailer has an extended pin box you don't need as slide. I have had my slider for 8 years in three differant trucks and two campers, the only time I used the slide was when the hitch was first installed. The dealer showed me how to use it. Another disadvantage they are heaver than the non slide if you going to take the hitch in and out of the truck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice, not sure on king pin length. I will take a look at the trailer the next next I see my parents. I have also been considering a 18-20' bumper pull. Just not sure on what I want to get. We bought a pop-up and have had it a couple years and looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Get the fifth wheel! I'm on my second one and they pull like a dream. A couple times this year the wind was about 20-30mph on the day we would have to pull home. I was a little nervous because it was a cross wind but it held the road great. When a strong gust would come it would just twitch a little ... no big deal at all. I also do not have a slider and I have no problems ... just keep an eye on the front of the trailer/back of the cab and you'll be fine. My old truck had a slider and I never had to use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts