Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As to not take away from the TS results thread, I thought I would start a new one here:

TailerproPop made some good points. What do you think about the sleds you pull on?

I really don't care for a sled setting that hits so hard at about 285', that my truck and most locomotives would stop in the next 8 feet. To me, it seems harder on the truck than a couple extra seconds longer pull.
I agree 100%. I've had a sled stop so hard with my gasser that I would have ended up in the steering wheel if it weren't for the seatbelt, but the sled we normally pull on starts fairly easy (not as easy as some, but definitely easier than others) and gradually comes on without the harsh hit and I wonder why they all can't be like that (I guess it's sled design).

3. Most pullers complain loudly about hard starting sleds, therefore the alternative is to slam everything at the end, or lengthen the track.
Again I think sled design could help minimize the gap between a hard starting sled and hard hitting sled.... The sleds with the front mounted ram seem to be the worst for coming on like a ton of bricks at the end.

4. When all competitors pull about the same distance, it gets boring.
I guess it's personal preference, but I prefer a photo finish in NASCAR and on the pulling track. When one truck spanks the others or there are wide gaps it usually starts raising questions about driver cheating, or sled not being consistent (which is not good for the sport).

5. Crowds like long tracks.
I've found the opposite at most venues. As with the guy videotaping Kusileks (spelling???) truck and the camera going up the trees at the end because he could not see it anymore, most people like being able to see the whole track with little obstruction. The longer the track, the more chance of not seeing something.

Congratulations to the Cummins trucks at Bowling Green, the Duramax's' will just have to try harder. And we will.:)
I want to make it clear that I'm not saying this because Dmax did not win (Congrats to all the Cummin's guys), its because I'm looking at making our club better and trying to learn. It seems I may have some misconceptions.....

What are your thoughts about sleds and track lengths as a puller or fan?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Around here, we don't usually have pull offs so the winner is out 310+ most of the time. Which I like, I think its bullshit when they only let you run like 280 just cause they don't want a pull off. Make it a floating finish and let'em run the crowd likes it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Around here, we don't usually have pull offs so the winner is out 310+ most of the time. Which I like, I think its bullshit when they only let you run like 280 just cause they don't want a pull off. Make it a floating finish and let'em run the crowd likes it.
X2!! We do the same thing at our pulls. It is hard enough just trying to get the trucks and semis through in a timely mannor before the audience gets tired of sitting in the stands. We have been fortunate and had some good sled operators at our pull who cares about putting on a good show just as much as we are. :cool:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
i like it when we're out around the 300 mark. 250 and less is ****ing boring. i had one pull that i got third and pulled 337. that was the best pull ever cuz everyone could see perfectly and the track speeds we're awesome.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i like it when we're out around the 300 mark. 250 and less is ****ing boring.
X2 I like getting some speed going down the track.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The Crowd loves full pulls!!!! Thats what sells tickets
Exactly! I think 300-330 is acceptable but when multiple guys are goin out in 360,390 or whatever its kinda rediculous and pointless. The pullingtrack is 300ft most the time, keep it that way. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
The sled we usually run with around here is kinda hard to start out with, and you dont get a lot of speed with it, but it doesent stop you hard at all, and they usually have it where 300ft is about where the mean trucks stop.

My Cousin broke a 2 piece rear driveshaft almost every time he pulled a "running sled" last year, but every time he pulled that old sled he never broke a rear driveshaft. He has a 1 piece driveshaft now, and pulled at TS Saturday with no breakage, but it seems to me that the running sleds are harder on things because of how hard you get stopped.

I like both styles of sleds, and track length doesent matter a lot to me as long as you can see it. It was stupid to have that tent at the end of the TS track though because I couldnt see any of the trucks once they got past that at probably 340' or so. I wish they would of tightened the sled down so that the winning pull was around 320'. That would have been fine IMO.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would rather go 350+ feet than have a pull off. The fans eat this stuff up when we pull that far.

Lets face it guys...we are here for the fans and the TS event proved once again the fans love to see these trucks run. The sled operators have figured that out and they let us run to please the crowd. A 400' track is a little long but it was still fun.

Just my opinion based off the fans that came up to me after the pull.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The 300' is a target, and should try to be obtained. The issue with 275' tracks and a 390' track is that this can throw truck setup out the window. Guys set their truck up, by gearing etc. It is like setting your truck up for the quartermile and they said hey lets run .1 mile today, or maybe .5?? For the winner to run 350 isn't a big deal, but for them to get 390' and the rest of the class is over 300'. Seems a little loose. Of course this can't be helped as maybe the lower power trucks are puling first, and/or the track could be like at scheids last year that as they ran it, it got way better. The first people hooking should know how their truck runs and if you know your truck is far from the the top truck there, you might say something to the flagman. We have done that before, went like 320' and told the flagman that their are several hotter trucks present. They readjusted the sled and we went like 300' The top truck went 325'

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Exactly! I think 300-330 is acceptable but when multiple guys are goin out in 360,390 or whatever its kinda rediculous and pointless. The pullingtrack is 300ft most the time, keep it that way. Just my .02 :)
I agree with Heavy here. Anything more than this just becomes a drag race IMO and it takes away from truck setup, driving ability and reading a track. Sure the fans love it and so do I running 350 ft but I still like the thrill of going 312 versus someone elses 295. More true to the sport and less room for error on a setup like that.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I don't have a problem with track length per se, but I don't like the inconsistency of one track being 280' and the next being 340'+. They take totally different approaches, and I'm fine with having to do different things, but you never know what you're going to get until the class starts and by then it's a bit late to be adjusting.

I've gotten to liking FPP's approach where 300' is a full pull, period, followed by a pulloff. I like having a second hook and a second shot to try a new line, etc., once I've made a full pull.

I guess I'm kinda old school, but the sport started with 300' and I think it should stay that way.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
The 300' is a target, and should try to be obtained. The issue with 275' tracks and a 390' track is that this can throw truck setup out the window. Guys set their truck up, by gearing etc. It is like setting your truck up for the quartermile and they said hey lets run .1 mile today, or maybe .5?? For the winner to run 350 isn't a big deal, but for them to get 390' and the rest of the class is over 300'. Seems a little loose.

Bingo! Good analogy.

For one-off pulls it doesn't bug me much, but in a points scenario I much prefer consistency.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The 300' is a target, and should try to be obtained. The issue with 275' tracks and a 390' track is that this can throw truck setup out the window. Guys set their truck up, by gearing etc. It is like setting your truck up for the quartermile and they said hey lets run .1 mile today, or maybe .5?? For the winner to run 350 isn't a big deal, but for them to get 390' and the rest of the class is over 300'. Seems a little loose. Of course this can't be helped as maybe the lower power trucks are puling first, and/or the track could be like at scheids last year that as they ran it, it got way better. The first people hooking should know how their truck runs and if you know your truck is far from the the top truck there, you might say something to the flagman. We have done that before, went like 320' and told the flagman that their are several hotter trucks present. They readjusted the sled and we went like 300' The top truck went 325'
:iamwithst

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I would rather go 350+ feet than have a pull off. The fans eat this stuff up when we pull that far.

Lets face it guys...we are here for the fans (I agree 100%. but look at what a fan wrote below) and the TS event proved once again the fans love to see these trucks run. The sled operators have figured that out and they let us run to please the crowd (some yes, but not all). A 400' track is a little long but it was still fun.

Just my opinion based off the fans that came up to me after the pull.
It's great for the people at the end of the track, but what about the fans who could not see the end of the track as CumminsDriver stated "It was stupid to have that tent at the end of the TS track though because I couldnt see any of the trucks once they got past that at probably 340' or so.?

Imagine the guys that came with you and were watching your setup could only see your truck from the start line to 340'. You would be a little pissed as they would have missed "the best part". It probably doesn't matter to most pullers as they and their crew get optimal views from the pits or the sidelines, but what about the average Joe who pays his admission to see a pull, only to find out he can't see the "finish line"?

I guess a 400' track would be cool in a stadium where every seat gets a total view as long as the pullers were informed ahead of time.

Next question (as some have already stated), do most run a floating finish line right from the start (i.e. no pulloffs) or only in a pulloff situation?

We run a 300' track on the first run, and a floating finish on the second (to keep it moving). Unless the track is terrible and hard to judge (i.e. rain), we shoot for the top 3 or so trucks to full pull.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well, that was the 1st time I have been around that kind of pulling distance and it was impressive, but I can see where it can be a handful for setups. I didn't pull (this time), but if I were going to ***** about something it would be the "ramp" at the start line that slammed the pan at about 10-15ft. It was all anyone that I sat around talked about in a negative way about any of the pull...I don't know why nothing was done about it. There were a couple of times both trucks and tractors got a little squirrly when the pan hit.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's great for the people at the end of the track, but what about the fans who could not see the end of the track as CumminsDriver stated "It was stupid to have that tent at the end of the TS track though because I couldnt see any of the trucks once they got past that at probably 340' or so.?

Imagine the guys that came with you and were watching your setup could only see your truck from the start line to 340'. You would be a little pissed as they would have missed "the best part". It probably doesn't matter to most pullers as they and their crew get optimal views from the pits or the sidelines, but what about the average Joe who pays his admission to see a pull, only to find out he can't see the "finish line"?

I guess a 400' track would be cool in a stadium where every seat gets a total view as long as the pullers were informed ahead of time.

Next question (as some have already stated), do most run a floating finish line right from the start (i.e. no pulloffs) or only in a pulloff situation?

We run a 300' track on the first run, and a floating finish on the second (to keep it moving). Unless the track is terrible and hard to judge (i.e. rain), we shoot for the top 3 or so trucks to full pull.

You know, the thing is, I WAS part of a "pit crew". I came with my cousin "Teddy Bear" on here to pull his 97 dodge. I unloaded, and loaded it, and I couldnt even see his truck at the end of his pull. All I could see was a little of the back of it. It just made it aggrovating not to be able to see where the trucks were stopping. It was a great pull, but I think they could have gotten the hot trucks to stop around 330-340' and had everyone else behind that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts