Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has sleds and how big? Thinking about buying one but definately want a fast one :D. I'm used to 4wheelers but is there anything special about a sled other than it being a 2stroke?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
They've got 4 strokers as well. I personally run an 03 Ski-doo Rev 800 modded a little ;). Dad has a 05 Ski-doo Mach Z 1000 twin all stock but it runs like a banshee! It all depends on how much you wanna spend and what brand you prefer.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want a new one{too much $$$$} as we don't get enough snow here often enough and I would have to go out of state most of the time. I'd like one that would run 80mph and get there in a hurry :D.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The first question I would ask yourself is do you want a really light performance sled you can whip around or just a main trail sled. I would go with ArcticCat but just because I love them. :) I have always loved the 440's and 500 firecats just because I raced for a couple of years. I still currently have an F5, F7 and an 800 too. I can keep up with my bro when im on the 500 no problem in the trails on his F7 no problem but just what you like. He only has me at high top end. I can hang with most 700 sleds and when you start getting into the twins too. The 500's have awesome holeshot too so you are gonna rip out of the hole

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 07 800r Skidoo Summit . It all depends on its use, If your going to be going to the mountains or running it on the flats. I see that you own an Arctic Cat so IMO I would stay with Arctic Cat seeing that you know a dealer already even if it is not new(for parts). But then again, if you want the best sled you must go Skidoo:HiHi: In all seriousness go for the sled you like the most, because you will be the one driving it. I am going to say go with Skidoo because I ride Skidoo. Your Polaris people are going to say go with a Polaris and so on. Its totally based on what you like. I would stick to a dealer you know, because its always easier to get help when you know someone, if you know what I mean. Hope this helps you

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have a 07 800r Skidoo Summit 144' track. It all depends on its use, If your going to be going to the mountains or running it on the flats. I see that you own an Artic Cat so IMO I would stay with Artic Cat seeing that you know a dealer already. But then again, if you want the best sled you must go Skidoo:HiHi: In all seriousness go for the sled you like the most, because you will be the one driving it. I am going to say go with Skidoo because I ride Skidoo. Your Polaris people are going to say go with a Polaris and so on. Its totally based on what you like. I would stick to a dealer you know, because its always easier when you know someone if you know what I mean. Hope this helps you
Seems as if you made a typo in your post. You meant Arcticcat right..........;)

But yes your right...what kind of riding do you plan on doing

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I know there are people that will crucify me for saying this...and others that will love it. I've got a 93 Yamaha V-max 4. It's all go. The only 4 cyl 2 stroke made, and I've got to tell you - it will run with ANYTHING I've put it up against. I let off at 120, there's only so much crap I can fit in my snow suit before I have to change! Gave less than a grand for it at a random auction. The only thing that SUCKS is I have to pull start a cold 4cyl 2stroke! Either helps. :)

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The first question I would ask yourself is do you want a really light performance sled you can whip around or just a main trail sled. I would go with ArcticCat but just because I love them. :) I have always loved the 440's and 500 firecats just because I raced for a couple of years. I still currently have an F5, F7 and an 800 too. I can keep up with my bro when im on the 500 no problem in the trails on his F7 no problem but just what you like. He only has me at high top end. I can hang with most 700 sleds and when you start getting into the twins too. The 500's have awesome holeshot too so you are gonna rip out of the hole
I do want to be able to whip it around on fields at home and stuff but also will ride some in the mountains some. Compared to a big quad like my 650 Arctic Cat how much faster out of the hole are sleds?

Yes,guys I'd like to stick with Arctic Cat. Too bad Honda don't have sleds. They would be the best.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I know there are people that will crucify me for saying this...and others that will love it. I've got a 93 Yamaha V-max 4. It's all go. The only 4 cyl 2 stroke made, and I've got to tell you - it will run with ANYTHING I've put it up against. I let off at 120, there's only so much crap I can fit in my snow suit before I have to change! Gave less than a grand for it at a random auction. The only thing that SUCKS is I have to pull start a cold 4cyl 2stroke! Either helps. :)
Exactly, my Dad trashed his rotator cuff trying to start his friend's V Max years ago. The friend even had some Japanese Yamahahoohawers out to "test ride" it in the mountains. Bonzaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
If you're planning on both i'd get one with a 136" track b/c I don't think that a 121 would stay up as well in the powder and you'd need a deeper lug than a generic 3/4" lug, prolly at least a 1 1/4" for the powder.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Im going to pick up my new one in about a week. Ive been riding an 01 700 polaris rmk. My new one is an 08 polaris dragon 800 with a 163" track. Should be a pretty nasty sled. My last one had tons of mods and this ones about to also lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you're planning on both i'd get one with a 136" track b/c I don't think that a 121 would stay up as well in the powder and you'd need a deeper lug than a generic 3/4" lug, prolly at least a 1 1/4" for the powder.
Id definately go with atleast a 144" if you plan on riding in much deep powder at all.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I do want to be able to whip it around on fields at home and stuff but also will ride some in the mountains some. Compared to a big quad like my 650 Arctic Cat how much faster out of the hole are sleds?

Yes,guys I'd like to stick with Arctic Cat. Too bad Honda don't have sleds. They would be the best.
Compared to that quad, the quad is a dog compared to the sleds. You will be amazed at the response of the Firecats and mountain sleds. Depending what and where you will be riding, is there a TON of powder usually. You might want to look at an extended track mountain sled or what they call M series. They have the extended track for powerder and mountain riding. That might be your best bet. You can also get the F series which is more performance. They are awesome sleds and offer many rider styles and positions. I would suggest getting the deep lug tracks and or studs for the extra traction too. let me know if you have any other questions. I have a lot to say on sleds!!!:D

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
This is the fun stuff right here. I will get some pics up later of me on the 500 practically laying down in the powder. You wont be disappointed with any sled really imo. They all have their ups and downs if you look at it but im sticking green.

Are you talking about riding in powerder like this or.......

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't want a new one{too much $$$$} as we don't get enough snow here often enough and I would have to go out of state most of the time. I'd like one that would run 80mph and get there in a hurry :D.
You aren't really setting the bar very high there. That's a pretty lame sled that can only do 80mph. Just about ANY trail sled can do that nowadays.
Actually, you should EXPECT 100mph plus from anything that even resembles a performance sled.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You aren't really setting the bar very high there. That's a pretty lame sled that can only do 80mph. Just about ANY trail sled can do that nowadays.
Actually, you should EXPECT 100mph plus from anything that even resembles a performance sled.
It also depends on if you want it set up for top end or clutch it for bottom end/mid range like for hill climbing and powder.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a 2006 Yamaha Attak 150HP 136" track.. Thing rips like their is now tomorrow. Nothing like a EFI 4stroke 1000CC sled...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.