Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start and stop I feel slack in my rearend or tranny. Last night I jacked the back of my truck up and crawled under it. U-joints were good and drive shaft moves about 1/2" total back and forth which seemed normal but if you moved one of the tires back and forth quickly it make a clunking noise in tranny tail where the drive shaft goes in. That doesn't sound normal to me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one has an idea.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Its called clearance.. :) Everything needs a certain amount of clearance and what you notice is the combined clearance of the differential/ring and pinion and anything else you move.. Yes, it adds up. Normal

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand clearance but clanking is a little extreme.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Grease your driveshaft splines.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the slack is worse now and I can feel it everytime I start and stop. I've only got 55k on my truck and I think thats a little too early to have rearend probs. Anymore ideas that make sense!

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 01 had the same thing, and at 80k it was bad, if I came to a complete stop, I wouldn't have it. but is I came to a rolling stop it was like the trans freespinned and would hit the gear hard on take off.

I've got an 06 now, with the 6 speed, I hope it doesn't develop the same thing.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
X3 on the grease the splines in the yoke!

Fixed mine

·
Registered
191 Posts
i greased mine today and lost the clunk now what the hell do i do with the boot with no clamp. Had to remove the clamp to get the boot off the opposing end.

·
Registered
191 Posts
no i dont have a clamp. maybe i will just forget about it im sure it will have to come back out in another 20k anyhow.

·
Registered
881 Posts
jwwoods06;1760217; said:
i greased mine today and lost the clunk now what the hell do i do with the boot with no clamp. Had to remove the clamp to get the boot off the opposing end.
When I did mine, I pried the clip loose with a flat blade screwdriver, then when I was putting the boot back on, I hit the "loop thingy" with a hammer. It flattened it back out and tightened the boot back down. Still on there too. I guess a ziptie would work too. Watch out using hoseclamps. They are heavy on the one side. I don't know how much weight it takes to throw the shaft off balance, but that is something to watch

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
What clamp?

We are talking about the rear drive shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only the front driveshaft has a clamp, and it is not problem-atic, so no need to worry with that one!!!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tolliwacker;1760681; said:
What clamp?

We are talking about the rear drive shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only the front driveshaft has a clamp, and it is not problem-atic, so no need to worry with that one!!!!

Mine is a 2-piece driveshaft and I had to grease the splines in the carrier bearing. THere is a rubber boot between the two shafts with clamps holding the boot to the driveshafts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Ok.........

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was shocked after I greased the splines on the driveshaft and it fixed the problem. Thats why this site is so awesome. Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts