Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is only at one thousand miles and there is too much play and klunkin sound in i guess its in the u-joints ok, like for instance if iam at between second&third at 18 or 19 hunard rpm and let of the gas pedal a littl to shift and when i let the clutch back out it just seems like thers play throughout the whole drivetrain and it klunks like hell, i ask my steeler about it and they looked under it and didnt see anything abnormal so they said.Do these have exsessive play or should i go back and complain again.
To solve it for now iam keppin the rpm up a littl more between shifts and its not as bad.comments really appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My truck "klunks" when I change gears, too. I have posted about it and the general consensus is that it is normal. If you play around with how you let the clutch out, you can change without the clunk. If I let my clutch out a little fast, I actually will get a clunk-clunk. I hope what I am talking about is the same as you are experiencing. Only time it does it is when you let the clutch out, or sometimes just a little if you clutch it and there is pressure on the drivetrain, such as backing or pulling up a steep hill and stopping. Also, if you have the clutch pressed to the floor and are coasting and go over some bumps in the road, or speed bumps, sometimes you will hear rattling from the transmission area. From what I have read, this is also normal. Maybe someone else will chime in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pretty much the same experience here, especially when I first got the truck. It's got to be the "touchiest" clutch I have ever owned. After owning it for a year and a half, I have learned to shift in a way that seems to make everything a little smoother. Unless pulling heavy, I shift below 2000 RPM and then let out very slow and gentle on the pedal. Different story when rippin through the gears at 3000 RPM. Also, I don't use 3rd and 5th gears much on the highway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Compared to my 94 which has a 5speed NV4500, this truck has what seems an excessive amount of freeplay. I like how my 94 shifts and sounds better than the ZF-6speed.

At first I was a bit concerned, but as everyone has said so far, this is normal for this truck.

One thing I was wondering though, if some of the freeplay/klunking is due to the DMF. This is my first experience with this type of flywheel.

Can anyone comment that has replaced theirs with a SMF if some of this goes away?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compared to my 94 which has a 5speed NV4500, this truck has what seems an excessive amount of freeplay. I like how my 94 shifts and sounds better than the ZF-6speed.

At first I was a bit concerned, but as everyone has said so far, this is normal for this truck.

One thing I was wondering though, if some of the freeplay/klunking is due to the DMF. This is my first experience with this type of flywheel.

Can anyone comment that has replaced theirs with a SMF if some of this goes away?
Well i guess we all have it,ya know my 97 f 150 5 speed i traded on the Max did the same **** since it was new,but this one is worse than the old one---oh well -il still take it over a frigin automatic tranny---iam just a rippm and shiftum kina guy ......thanx for the interest and yur replys guys!!

:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine clunks also. I suppose by now I've gotten used to it, but even my buddies old CJ7 (5?, it's an 85) doesn't make as much noise. From what I've heard, it's normal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
same here, ive noticed it in other diesel trucks also, like the kodiaks with the 3126cat/6 speed and the internationals dt466/7 speed. i think it is normal with such a tight drivetrain /high torque engine.

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Mine clunks......when someone besides me drives it....I found a cure. Only I drive.

But seriously......spend all your time either in gear with the clutch out, in neutral, or in transition.

Leaving the lever in gear with the clutch in is a clunk-fest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My ZF 6 Ford clunks too. I have gotten so I can usually shift without a clunk, but every so often it still does it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I only had my truck for about 100 miles when I first experienced the 'clutch-to-the-floor rattlefest' taking place in my truck. I was coming to a stop at a red light over some seriously nasty pavement, pushed the clutch to the floor, and I thought something was going to be on the ground behind me. With 800 miles on the clock, it's like driving an automatic. No jerks, no rattles. There is some shifter related noise, but it seems to be what is commonly referred to as "normal."

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My ZF 6 Ford clunks too. I have gotten so I can usually shift without a clunk, but every so often it still does it.
well lets see,theres three or four u joints in this drivetrain,theres one at the rear by the punkin ,one at the rear of tranny,one at the output shaft of de transfer case and we have fulltime auto hubs...thats a lot of places for grunt and slack...anyone else want to comment ,i am prolly wrong on the count.i havent been under there yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
well lets see,theres three or four u joints in this drivetrain,theres one at the rear by the punkin ,one at the rear of tranny,one at the output shaft of de transfer case and we have fulltime auto hubs...thats a lot of places for grunt and slack...anyone else want to comment ,i am prolly wrong on the count.i havent been under there yet.
yeah all those U joints probably have something to do with it. Whatever the reason, it seems like it is normal and nothing to worry about. And like you said earlier its still better then an automatic. Enjoy your ZF!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You forgot the dampener next to the pinion. Hook to a trailer and see if it calms down. IMO there's a lot of torque and not a lot of weight. Once I hook to my 5K trailer it shifts like a dream. Drive by wire takes a while to get used to. Stock the accelerator is kinda dead. I love the response a tuner adds. Not HP but the off idle response is crisper. Much more enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Mine clunks......when someone besides me drives it....I found a cure. Only I drive.

But seriously......spend all your time either in gear with the clutch out, in neutral, or in transition.

Leaving the lever in gear with the clutch in is a clunk-fest.
mannytranny is seriously correct. You keep the shifter in gear and the clutch pedal in and the slack/lash will eventually screw your drive train. . . been there paid for that / / / -:t

·
Registered
407 Posts
This Is A Normal Condition Over The Years The Trans Lube Has Been Thined Down From 80-90 To Something That Has The Viscosity Of Automatic Transmission Fluid. For Several Resons Such As Shift Ease In Cold Weather To Better Fuel Economy. Try This When Making That Shift Don't Let Off The Throttle As Quickly Try To Match Rpm With What It Will Be In The Next Gear Like Shifting 13 Speed In A Big Truck This Will Keep Tension On The Drive Train

1 - 15 of 15 Posts