Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a rumor of course.

I also heard that the medium duty version has some better parts that could be used to enhance the one used in pickups?

I don't follow Allison related info much, but I thought I would pass this along to those who might be interested.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I talked to a guy this past summer who was on the Design team for the new Pickup design. He told me the 6 speed will be out in '06 with some big power coming out of the Dmax. He is pretty reliable and had alot to do with the truck......

Little bit more info..... The Pontiac plant was being considered for Dmax only bulids, but the Morain Izusu plant can't kick the motors out fast enough to support an entire plant.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I heard that the other choice will be an Eaton 18spd.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I recall a thread on the TDR about a continuously variable tranny (CVT?) a year or more ago. It wouldn't get any better than that. Gearing would be optimally selected at the torque peak, eeking out maximum miles/gallon.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ray403Dmax said:
I recall a thread on the TDR about a continuously variable tranny (CVT?) a year or more ago. It wouldn't get any better than that. Gearing would be optimally selected at the torque peak, eeking out maximum miles/gallon.

I have never heard of a CVT that could even handle half of the torque a stock DMax is making.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
In an Allison class I had, the instructor said the 1000 was capable of a 6th gear just not valved for it. I don't know if he was right or not. More rumor.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Amric said:
I have never heard of a CVT that could even handle half of the torque a stock DMax is making.

I haven't heard of too many CVT designs period. I recall one '04 economy car that may be offering it. I would assume the CVT design can be scaled to meet torque specs just like any other tranny. Unfortunately you need to be a member at the TDR to do search and I'm not a member.

·
Registered
170 Posts
CVT is available in the Audi A4, but only with the 2.5 I believe........

Bob

·
Registered
909 Posts
Over on the Edmunds website I read a bit on the CVT and it sounds slick, but for now they may only now have production designs capable of v6-type power. It's popular with electric vehicles and maybe even the hybrids. Sounds like the design may need more size than a normal comparable tranny. They likened it to a 12 speed bike that controls gearing by a derailer, only thing is there are an infinite # of gears to select from.

·
Registered
168 Posts
All Allison trans are 6 speed. they are programed to cut out the 6th gear in different applications. Although they can be turned one with the Allison DOC program/pc. I do run this program at work, but have not had it hooked up to the 1000 series yet.

·
Registered
909 Posts
04duramax said:
All Allison trans are 6 speed. they are programed to cut out the 6th gear in different applications. Although they can be turned one with the Allison DOC program/pc. I do run this program at work, but have not had it hooked up to the 1000 series yet.

That would be an interesting test to run. If modest power mods zing 5th gear, wouldn't 6th be even easier?

·
Registered
909 Posts
OC_DMAX said:
A CVT is also available in the Nissan Murano which has a 250hp 3.5L V6.

Cool! Sounds like manufacturers are working it into production.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts