Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the twin disk is out, how about some discussion on the upcoming single disk SMF kit from SBC. How is the progress? What is the time frame?

Lets get some info going for those of us that don't need huge holding power. I am getting the dreaded hard pedal and slipping now accelerating going downhill towing my 3500 pound trailer. What was GM thinking?????

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
They werent thinking thats the whole problem. I dont really know about south bends single disc setup but if you need one asap Evan at crank it up diesel has a single disk smf kit and i also believe that it has a sprung hub center disk so it should not have the slight rattle that the double disk has!

Later,
C.B

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm also wondering about when the SBC single disk will be released. I've been holding out over getting the Macs single disk kit just to see what South Bend will have to offer. Price could end up being the determining factor though.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I am also interested in the single disk solution. I only have a VA 0-70-110 and do not abuse the truck too bad. The only pulling I'm planning on doing is hooked up to my 33' 5th wheel.

I hope the SD/SMF shows up soon. My factory clutch will not hold any longer when pulling the 5er...RV season is going to crank up in the next month or so and I want to be able to hit the road as soon as I can.

Hey, DmaxCC6spd, look in the ZF-6 OEM forum for the thread on joining the Brotherhood of Handshakers and join!!! We need all of the representation we can get!!!

MaxRock

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I don't know how long it is going to take for the single disc kit. The guys milling the DDC flywheel got to get a bunch of them done before they are allowed to start on the SMF for the SDC. Once it gets done and tested then some firm is gonna do a cast flywheel which will then have a few parts of it milled and each one will have to be balanced. Once all this is done and production starts I expect the price of the kit to be a fair amount cheaper than a single disc clutch kit with a milled flywheel. The milling and steel billet cost a lot of $ and take quit a bit of time. A cast flywheel will cost quite a bit less.

More later . . . .

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Deadeye,

I'm not trying to hold your feet to the fire, but do you have any idea of a timeframe? Are you talking 1 month, 3 months, 6 months...

Again, I'm not trying to hold your feet to the fire, I'm just trying to get an idea when I can hook up my 5er!!!

Thanks,
MaxRock

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Deadeye,

I'm not trying to hold your feet to the fire, but do you have any idea of a timeframe? Are you talking 1 month, 3 months, 6 months...

Again, I'm not trying to hold your feet to the fire, I'm just trying to get an idea when I can hook up my 5er!!!

Thanks,
MaxRock
I understand your concern and I wish I could tell you when it will be available. When we started on the SMF/DDC kit last summer I expected to have a workable prototype by 10/1/05 but it took until December to get all the issues resolved.

I expect that the single disc will be easier and quicker now that we have the correct specifications verified. However, SBC is in charge of this and based on past experience they do not want to provide and estimated due date and then miss it. I understand and agree. I am confident it will not take 6 months. but I know it will take more than one month. Other than that I do not want to guess. However, I do expect that the start of the flywheel will begin in February. Once this happens I will try to get some more information.

Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks Deadeye...that is all I can ask!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings Deadeye, you stated that the start of the flywheel will start in feb. I know its early Feb but? Any news?

Can I assume this will use a clutch disk with a sprung hub?

I looked at your site and see that you also sell the engine damper from Fluid damper. Any thoughts or experience with this product? Does it lessen some of the rattle?

Thanks - now get back to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a clutch!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Greetings Deadeye, you stated that the start of the flywheel will start in feb. I know its early Feb but? Any news?

Can I assume this will use a clutch disk with a sprung hub?

I looked at your site and see that you also sell the engine damper from Fluid damper. Any thoughts or experience with this product? Does it lessen some of the rattle?

Thanks - now get back to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a clutch!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried callin SBC a minute ago (before your post :D ) and the phones were down so I sent him and e-mail. Will post once I receive a response. As to the Fluidampr . . I have not tested one yet but plan to once I get my truck back from the dealer. It absorbs some vibration which reduces some rattle and noise. More later.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm also wandering about a time frame for the single disc, I'm sure you guys have better things to do than call Peter all day but we're about half way through feb. any news is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I spoke with Peter the other day and he expects to have some more info about the single disc flywheel later this week. Once I find out I will make a post.

He already makes a single disc for the Fords but the dual disc, which will look similar to the duramax and cummins kits will not come out for some time as there are not many requests. I will keep my eye on this one as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts