Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i remove my side molding, will the paint behind them be damaged or anything. I ask because every time i wash my truck i see lots of dirt and crap come out from behind the moldings. Any experience or findings would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I recently removed mine after 3 years and didn't have any damage. I washed it before removing the mouldings and rinsed it again before peeling the remaining double sided tape off. Then I followed up by waxing the virgin area behind the moulding.

I recommend using a blow dryer or heat gun to speed things up but be careful, you would be surprised at how little heat it takes to warp sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
If you do a search, you will not only find out many here have done it, but also tips on how to do it, and what to do after. The same process applies to badges.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I removed mime today .look in exterior.Came off easily with a little heat from a heat gun.Then use goof-off to remove what glue is there,which aint much.Then put some wax back on the areas.Thats how i did it any how.I use a plastic scraper also for a little assistance.I didnt take the side moldings off ,just the badges.Im thinking about taking the side molding off any how.

·
Registered
372 Posts
pics

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks guys, I was just worried about how bad the paint would look after three years of crap behind the moldings, but i think i will go ahead and take em off as soon as it wams up a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts